MRI, Claustrophobia and Ativan

Disneylover99

DIS Veteran
Thread title says it all..... :eek:

I have to go for an MRI in a few days, I am very claustrophobic and I've been prescribed Ativan. I'm getting nervous.

The MRI is on my head only, so I gather that just my head will be in the machine? Anyone else with severe claustrophobia have an MRI? And/or prescribed Ativan? I'm not sure what to expect.

Experiences both good and bad welcome! :) Thanks!

I can be claustrophobic, but for some reason MRIs put me to sleep, so it is never a problem. Take the meds and try to sleep. I never even take meds. I just sleep. DH falls asleep too.

I've had two MRI's of my head/brain. They put you in head first only about halfway in (with my arms at my side I was in to the elbow or possibly belly button). Both times I had a cage over my head and you may as well. It's like wearing a hockey goalie mask.

I LOVE MRI's. Love them. It's loud, sure, but it's a good 40 minutes of just laying still and relaxing. And I still take a Xanax before going.

I didn't care for the MRI I had with the contrast. When they injected the die I could feel it running through me and it freaked me out.

It wouldn't hurt to call ahead and ask exactly what to expect (believe me, you're not the first claustrophobic person!).

I had a bad experience, personally, with my head one because they didn't tell me that they were going to have to screw down what felt like a Hannibal Lector type plastic mask over my head so that I absolutely couldn't move it at all. I'm also overweight, and they literally had to pull the blanket tight across my shoulders to wedge me in (I had my eyes closed, but know that I was in past my elbows, and this was for a head MRI). They then switched techs partway through without telling me and when I called out, no one answered me for a second, which really freaked me out.

Honestly, I swore I would never go for another one, but....

Since then I have gone to a large city near me to an "open" MRI (which isn't really, but is at least better), and have had nothing but bearable (not positive, but not screaming mimi either) experiences.

I always ask for pillows under my knees (because of my bad back), extra blankets (because it always seems to be freezing), and for them to turn up the music REALLY loud through the headphones :lmao:. I also ask that they talk to me, keep me informed as to how many minutes, how many more scans, etc. It might also help to ask "when" you can wiggle even a toe for finger, because you will start wishing you could, even though you shouldn't!

Good luck, I hope the drugs help, and that the findings are worth it :).

Terri

I have the best DH in the world! During my MRI for neck issues, he was able to be with me and rubbed my feet the entire time. I'm very claustrophobic, so I had a Valium before and my DH during. Good luck.

I am also claustrophobic and have had 2 MRIs with ativan. It worked for me. I was very relaxed and felt like I could have stayed in there all day. Without medicine it is impossible for me to have an MRI. I tried once, but made them take me out. Good luck!

I had a bad experience, personally, with my head one because they didn't tell me that they were going to have to screw down what felt like a Hannibal Lector type plastic mask over my head so that I absolutely couldn't move it at all. I'm also overweight, and they literally had to pull the blanket tight across my shoulders to wedge me in (I had my eyes closed, but know that I was in past my elbows, and this was for a head MRI). They then switched techs partway through without telling me and when I called out, no one answered me for a second, which really freaked me out.

Terri

Holy crap! I'm having heart palpitations just reading this. :scared1: I'm so glad your experiences got better.

Really good advice about the pillows, music and blankets (as long as I don't get "tucked" in). :thumbsup2

I have the best DH in the world! During my MRI for neck issues, he was able to be with me and rubbed my feet the entire time. I'm very claustrophobic, so I had a Valium before and my DH during. Good luck.

I am also claustrophobic and have had 2 MRIs with ativan. It worked for me. I was very relaxed and felt like I could have stayed in there all day. Without medicine it is impossible for me to have an MRI. I tried once, but made them take me out. Good luck!

I can be claustrophobic, but for some reason MRIs put me to sleep, so it is never a problem. Take the meds and try to sleep. I never even take meds. I just sleep. DH falls asleep too.

I will definitely take the Ativan. Thanks!

I also take ativan or xanex before an mri. I have had 4 with the cage, 2 with contrast. Without the meds I can't do it. I take one 60 minutes prior, then another 30 minutes prior. I am a bigger girl, 1x and have never had an issue with fitting into the machine. I tried the open type and couldn't do that without meds either. The normally put a cloth over my eyes, then the cage. I do ask that they talk to me while getting me prepped. Once I am in the machine I give myself a silent pep talk (you will be ok, you have them listening and they said yell if you need out) and after a minute or so I relax and mentally plan my next Disney trip!

Don't let the horror stories scare you and that is from a girl who cant wear a Halloween mask!

I couldn't do it, not even with meds.

The cage over the face, the closeness of the machine to my face plus being "in" the machine freaked me right out.

They had to pull me out and I never did get an MRI. I asked the operator why they call it an "open" MRI, as it sure didn't seem that way to me.

She said she didn't know why as she didn't think they were all that open either.

But that is me, I am severely claustrophobic, and can't even sleep in our bedroom with the door closed. So unless you are that bad, you won't have the problem I did. :)

I have had 3 MRIs of my knee done in an open MRI machine. They would have to anesthetize me to get me into a closed one"

I have had 3 MRIs of my knee done in an open MRI machine. They would have to anesthetize me to get me into a closed one.

I've had two MRIs, both for my head, both in closed machines. I took valium and kept my eyes closed so I couldn't see how enclosed I was.

The only thing about taking the drug is you have to have someone drive you and it will be on your record. My last Drs. visit a new doctor asked me about my anxiety issues and I was like "what?" until I remembered the valium for the MRIs.

I will always ask for something when I have to have MRIs. Hopefully you'll be sleepy and can just doze.

Keeping your eyes closed helps. Closed from the second they put the cage over your head until they slide you out. Just think of it as nap time.

They didn't give me any drugs for anxiety...
I totally agree with keeping your eyes closed from the moment you lay down...don't look even at the cage part! Eyes closed throughout! Wear earplugs to help cut down on the noise.
Good luck!

It confirmed my belief that being buried alive would be really really bad.

I honestly think I had ptsd after that first experience.

Now I go to the one right next to the Packer Stadium. I figure if they can fit....

Shouldn't there be a better way?

Terri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!