Moving to/living in Orlando

Thanks for all the info! Ocoee sounds nice to me. We would just have to come down and look around before we make any decisions

Dh just finished his interview and he said he thinks he nailed it. He should hear back within a week!!!!

That's awesome!! Fingers crossed for you guys. And of course, let me know if you have any more questions.

We don't have to worry about gators at all? Are there certain lakes that are better than others or are they all pretty good? I'm sure they all have the potential to have gators right?

Yes, in Florida any body of fresh water bigger than a bathtub has the potential to contain a gator.

However, if what you are doing in the lake is playing with a JetSki, the gators will stay far away if at all possible. They HATE loud noise, especially when it comes with a lot of vibration. Just don't run the watercraft up into the reeds near shore where a nest might be; they are quite serious about defending their young, and even their hatred of loud noise won't overcome that instinct.

Unfortunately, most of the nicer areas of Dr. Phillips are very high dollar. Plan of $250k and up. Many million dollar homes there. If you look at homes for less, you will be looking at older areas mostly on the fringe of the Dr. Phillips area. The same is true of Windermere. Not many homes in this area for less than $250k. Many multi-million dollar homes.

Gators tend to lurk close to the shoreline. They like the quieter, warmer water. If you're using a jet ski or boating, you'll tend to be toward deeper water. You probably won't see them.

I am much more concerned with the possibility of the brain eating amoeba than I am of gators. The amoeba can be in any untreated water that gets above 80 degrees. That means it is present in most lakes and ponds. Again, if you are in the center of the lake, in cooler water, you really don't have to worry. Stay away from swimming along the shoreline. Only a few have survived this amoeba. Think of it as the water version of rabies.

Most people in this area pay to have their lawns mowed. When I first moved here, I thought that was silly. After all, most of the yards are small compared to other parts of the country. After mowing it myself a few years, I was definitely ready to hire someone. It isn't bad in the winter months, but mowing in the summer can be brutal. Remember, you mow year round here!

Unfortunately, most of the nicer areas of Dr. Phillips are very high dollar. Plan of $250k and up. Many million dollar homes there. If you look at homes for less, you will be looking at older areas mostly on the fringe of the Dr. Phillips area. The same is true of Windermere. Not many homes in this area for less than $250k. Many multi-million dollar homes.

Gators tend to lurk close to the shoreline. They like the quieter, warmer water. If you're using a jet ski or boating, you'll tend to be toward deeper water. You probably won't see them.

I am much more concerned with the possibility of the brain eating amoeba than I am of gators. The amoeba can be in any untreated water that gets above 80 degrees. That means it is present in most lakes and ponds. Again, if you are in the center of the lake, in cooler water, you really don't have to worry. Stay away from swimming along the shoreline. Only a few have survived this amoeba. Think of it as the water version of rabies.

Most people in this area pay to have their lawns mowed. When I first moved here, I thought that was silly. After all, most of the yards are small compared to other parts of the country. After mowing it myself a few years, I was definitely ready to hire someone. It isn't bad in the winter months, but mowing in the summer can be brutal. Remember, you mow year round here!
We’re willing to spend up to 370k but that’s our max. We prefer to be under 300k but if not it’s okay; we could make it work.

Ew gross. So basically I feel like I just shouldn’t swim in water that’s not clear.

That’s true about mowing year round. Doing it in that heat would probably make me pass out.

He was most likely in that run down neighborhood I mentioned above. It's definitely an anomaly in Dr. Phillips... if I had the money, I would love to buy up those houses and flip them!

It's very, very rare to see a gator in the springs. I never have. The water is 72 degrees year round and that's too cold for them, generally. Manatees and gators can definitely co-exist, though.

A big part of loving Dr. Phillips is that I grew up there, so it is very much home for me. But I do like that it has way more shopping, dining and grocery options (not only multiple Publix stores, but also Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market), it's closer to Universal and Disney and all the entertainment without being too negatively affected by it. That said there's nothing wrong with this part of Ocoee- it's safe, it's really convenient to the 408, 429 and the Turnpike, and it's close to Winter Garden which has a really cute downtown and some local businesses I like. The Winter Garden Village is huge and convenient too, although it can be really crazy busy. The downside is that the "wrong side of the tracks" is essentially directly on the other side of the Turnpike. $300k is going to get you a lot more house in Ocoee than it will in Dr. Phillips (which is why your husband ended up in the more run-down areas). This part of Ocoee is basically Windermere without the name- so you get the benefit of a safe, well manicured area without having to pay the property taxes for it. It's really not a bad option, it's just going to come down to which house/neighborhood/area you like the most.

In all honesty my favorite neighborhoods in Orlando are around downtown, and it's where I plan on moving in a few months!
We are not "city" dwellers, while looking for a home in Winter Garden or Windermere, the downtown area intrigued me. Might be fun to rent there for a year, but further for WDW and Universal correct? I googled Lake Eola, it looked like a pretty lake to take a walk around, but I also was poking around at a few nice rentals downtown and there were a few comments about some homeless people around. We will check out the downtown area for a rental, any areas where you would recommend for a nice rental? Thanks!:disrocks:

Thanks for all the info! Ocoee sounds nice to me. We would just have to come down and look around before we make any decisions

Dh just finished his interview and he said he thinks he nailed it. He should hear back within a week!!!!
GOOD LUCK in advance!:wizard: Very exciting for you both!:cool1:

We are not "city" dwellers, while looking for a home in Winter Garden or Windermere, the downtown area intrigued me. Might be fun to rent there for a year, but further for WDW and Universal correct? I googled Lake Eola, it looked like a pretty lake to take a walk around, but I also was poking around at a few nice rentals downtown and there were a few comments about some homeless people around. We will check out the downtown area for a rental, any areas where you would recommend for a nice rental? Thanks!:disrocks:
Lk Eola is very nice. We have a place very close by and go over several times a months. There are a lot of homeless in that area but they don’t seem to approach people there. Orlando in is full of homeless people especially in the winter.

Lk Eola is very nice. We have a place very close by and go over several times a months. There are a lot of homeless in that area but they don’t seem to approach people there. Orlando in is full of homeless people especially in the winter.
I would imagine so, trying to stay warm. Love to walk, so might be an area we can check out. Realistically, all large cities have homeless population, however, cities like San Francisco have reputation for homeless all over the city. Also read, area right outside Disneyland, very close, there is a tent city of homeless. Would hope that Disney could contribute some money to helping the situation there.

I would imagine so, trying to stay warm. Love to walk, so might be an area we can check out. Realistically, all large cities have homeless population, however, cities like San Francisco have reputation for homeless all over the city. Also read, area right outside Disneyland, very close, there is a tent city of homeless. Would hope that Disney could contribute some money to helping the situation there.
I know several people who have been to SF recently and say how sad it is what in has become. Very aggressive beggers, open drug use and piles of human feces. Even have city workers to clean it up. Orlando is no where near that bad. But you will see then every where you look down town and under the bridges.

I love Lake Eola; they have a farmer’s market every Sunday and a bunch of annual events.

Take a look at the areas immediately around Lake Eola- Thornton Park, Lake Eola Heights, as well as Delaney Park, Audubon Park, Ivanhoe Village, Winter Park, Orwin Manor... pretty much anywhere north to Winter Park, south to Michigan Ave., and east to about where the executive airport is. The only neighborhood I’d consider west of I-4 is College Park.

You’d be a little further from the theme parks and you’d have to take I-4, but you’re close to a lot of events, art galleries, festivals, local restaurants, coffee shops and bars.

Lake Eola is nice, they have a lot of events there. I think it’s really nice if you’re in walking distance, but I never want to fight parking to go.

You’re also correct that it’s a bit farther to the parks and you have to deal with the I4 construction to get there. That said, the downtown, winter park, Thornton park, college park, audoban park, Baldwin park are all great as a PP mentioned and close to a lot local life and restaurants.

It really is a completely different “Orlando” than the Windermere, Winter Garden, parks areas IMO.

If we move I might have to consider having a lawn care service. Right now I do most of the lawn care because I’m a substitute teacher so I have days off here and there. I guess I would have to see how busy I stay in Florida but if I’m already at home some days I would probably try to do the lawn care myself. We aren’t big plant people so we wouldn’t want a lot of landscaping

I have to ask about the boat because I’ve always wanted a jet ski. Do you have to worry about gators?

We have what is called a deck boat, it's a good all around family and friends boat. Plenty of seating, storage, sink, shower, and dry box, and has a top to provide some shade which is needed when you are out all day, We can take it in fresh or salt water, we use it for fishing, and scalloping..., we can tube or ski behind it, or just take it for a ride or take it all day, with our DD and sweet little grandson, for a day on the river, or lake or hit the gulf... we have a small portable grill, table, and camp chairs, and pull up and spend the day.... It just so much fun... there are places we go and there might be 50 boats all pulled up and hanging out... some spot on the gulf there might be 150 + boats just hanging out... Living that Boaty lifestyle... We boaters are a friendly laid back bunch of folks, that just love the water.

We have rented jet ski's, or wave runner's... they really aren't for us, they are basically a motor cycle on the water. They are fun to ride for a hour or so, its a rough ride, as you are out were the are boats and boats make more of a wake, and it can get choppy quick... and really all you can do is ride. As well they can get away from you quickly, lose control its much hard to regain control on the water... they skim across the water, and most people like the need for speed with them, which on the water is and can be deadly... If you are really interested in getting one I suggest that you rent some when you are here, see how you like it I would do it a few times, and look at how it handles, the ride itself, and how you feel after riding it... there are plenty of place to rent them at... to see if this is really something that you want to get into... as well on a jet ski you are right there at water level..

They offer boating classes to help get your feet wet...so you can learn the laws and such... plus there are unspoken boating manners that most people use...

So with the gators, which is a very touchy subject... Gators are here, really they are everywhere, ponds, lakes, rivers, retention ponds, walking across the street from one pond to another...they are even known to enjoy a dip into a swimming pool.... Yes I'm serious... its not something that happens not all the time, but it does happen... I am from Fl. so I was taught about gators from a little girl, DH the same he was taught as a little boy, we taught our kids about them... and now are teaching our grand-kids.... Pretty much you leave them alone and they will leave you alone... don't feed them - then they connect humans and food together not a good combo, Gator are night feeders for the most part. If you see a nest stay the heck away from it the mama gators builds the nest on land and using debris, soil and vegetation they look like a mound, during courting and mating season you need to be aware, ( April, May and June) and they hatch in late August or Sept. Keep your dogs out of the water, and do not get in the water at night.

The best thing to do is be aware of your surrounding at all times...If you like to walking, hiking, biking trails that are through any wooded area near water you need to be aware. We were at a park on one of the lakes, when the kids were in probably middle school, we were picnicking and walking the trails, we were out on a trail that is heavily used and we rounded the bend and there was a 10 foot gator laying on the sidewalk sunning about 50 yards in front of us... we quietly turned around and walked back the way we came, DH told the park ranger and they closed off the trail... until he was done sunning for the day... We have been fishing out on the lake before had them swim up fairly close to the boat, like they were checking us out...we just start up and move...

The thing is you are in their natural habitat, so we are sorta trespassing in their environment... Being aware is your best tool...

We have what is called a deck boat, it's a good all around family and friends boat. Plenty of seating, storage, sink, shower, and dry box, and has a top to provide some shade which is needed when you are out all day, We can take it in fresh or salt water, we use it for fishing, and scalloping..., we can tube or ski behind it, or just take it for a ride or take it all day, with our DD and sweet little grandson, for a day on the river, or lake or hit the gulf... we have a small portable grill, table, and camp chairs, and pull up and spend the day.... It just so much fun... there are places we go and there might be 50 boats all pulled up and hanging out... some spot on the gulf there might be 150 + boats just hanging out... Living that Boaty lifestyle... We boaters are a friendly laid back bunch of folks, that just love the water.

We have rented jet ski's, or wave runner's... they really aren't for us, they are basically a motor cycle on the water. They are fun to ride for a hour or so, its a rough ride, as you are out were the are boats and boats make more of a wake, and it can get choppy quick... and really all you can do is ride. As well they can get away from you quickly, lose control its much hard to regain control on the water... they skim across the water, and most people like the need for speed with them, which on the water is and can be deadly... If you are really interested in getting one I suggest that you rent some when you are here, see how you like it I would do it a few times, and look at how it handles, the ride itself, and how you feel after riding it... there are plenty of place to rent them at... to see if this is really something that you want to get into... as well on a jet ski you are right there at water level..

They offer boating classes to help get your feet wet...so you can learn the laws and such... plus there are unspoken boating manners that most people use...

So with the gators, which is a very touchy subject... Gators are here, really they are everywhere, ponds, lakes, rivers, retention ponds, walking across the street from one pond to another...they are even known to enjoy a dip into a swimming pool.... Yes I'm serious... its not something that happens not all the time, but it does happen... I am from Fl. so I was taught about gators from a little girl, DH the same he was taught as a little boy, we taught our kids about them... and now are teaching our grand-kids.... Pretty much you leave them alone and they will leave you alone... don't feed them - then they connect humans and food together not a good combo, Gator are night feeders for the most part. If you see a nest stay the heck away from it the mama gators builds the nest on land and using debris, soil and vegetation they look like a mound, during courting and mating season you need to be aware, ( April, May and June) and they hatch in late August or Sept. Keep your dogs out of the water, and do not get in the water at night.

The best thing to do is be aware of your surrounding at all times...If you like to walking, hiking, biking trails that are through any wooded area near water you need to be aware. We were at a park on one of the lakes, when the kids were in probably middle school, we were picnicking and walking the trails, we were out on a trail that is heavily used and we rounded the bend and there was a 10 foot gator laying on the sidewalk sunning about 50 yards in front of us... we quietly turned around and walked back the way we came, DH told the park ranger and they closed off the trail... until he was done sunning for the day... We have been fishing out on the lake before had them swim up fairly close to the boat, like they were checking us out...we just start up and move...

The thing is you are in their natural habitat, so we are sorta trespassing in their environment... Being aware is your best tool...
I’m very familiar with jet skis and know how to ride/drive them. I grew up going to a lake house a lot. Are most of the lakes near Orlando pretty busy or are there any that wouldn’t have as choppy of water? I don’t mind a little choppiness but if it’s too busy it really wouldn’t be fun on a jet ski. We would definitely rent before we buy. Dh doesn’t have a lot of experience with jet skis or being on the water so he would probably want to get used to it and see how he likes it.

Thanks for the info about the gators. Luckily we don’t have any dogs. We have cats but they are inside only. We also don’t have kids so it’s nice that we can learn about this stuff before having them so we can teach them about it when that time comes. I’ll have to google what the nests look like so I know. I will say that we stayed at Coronado springs last July at Disney and saw a baby alligator in the lake. It made me super nervous to walk by the grassy/woodsy areas at night because there wasn’t a lot of lighting.

Man if I saw an alligator next to my boat I would be so nervous. If I saw one on the trail I would be nervous too. I think it would be hard to not yell or make some kind of noise on accident but that would only alert them. We do like to bike and walk on trails so we’ll just have to be aware like you said and be mindful of the time of day.

Lake Eola is nice, they have a lot of events there. I think it’s really nice if you’re in walking distance, but I never want to fight parking to go.

You’re also correct that it’s a bit farther to the parks and you have to deal with the I4 construction to get there. That said, the downtown, winter park, Thornton park, college park, audoban park, Baldwin park are all great as a PP mentioned and close to a lot local life and restaurants.

It really is a completely different “Orlando” than the Windermere, Winter Garden, parks areas IMO.
Thank you for the good information, very helpful!

I know several people who have been to SF recently and say how sad it is what in has become. Very aggressive beggers, open drug use and piles of human feces. Even have city workers to clean it up. Orlando is no where near that bad. But you will see then every where you look down town and under the bridges.
So sad! A few people that I spoke with went to SF and were not impressed.

On average, what could we expect to pay in HOA fees? I’m just curious
You should be able to view the HOA fees in the listing. From my research, it seems "average" seems to be about $200 a month. Zillow, Realtor.com, lists all the HOA fees. In my research, I have ran across communities that even include maintenance on the irrigation system for the lawns, thought this was interesting. ::yes:: One of the realtors we spoke with, pointed out that some HOA's have restrictions on leasing the units, one year minimum. That was important information and appealing to us as we prefer a stable community. Even though the definition of long term rental, seems to be 7 months or more, I like the 1 year restriction. With the popularity of Airb&b, Homeaway, etc it would concern me if I moved to a home and the next door neighbor was renting out their home daily, weekly, etc. Sometimes I feel that HOA's CAN be so restrictive, BUT for us, the positives outweigh the negatives. :thumbsup2

I’m very familiar with jet skis and know how to ride/drive them. I grew up going to a lake house a lot. Are most of the lakes near Orlando pretty busy or are there any that wouldn’t have as choppy of water? I don’t mind a little choppiness but if it’s too busy it really wouldn’t be fun on a jet ski. We would definitely rent before we buy. Dh doesn’t have a lot of experience with jet skis or being on the water so he would probably want to get used to it and see how he likes it.

Thanks for the info about the gators. Luckily we don’t have any dogs. We have cats but they are inside only. We also don’t have kids so it’s nice that we can learn about this stuff before having them so we can teach them about it when that time comes. I’ll have to google what the nests look like so I know. I will say that we stayed at Coronado springs last July at Disney and saw a baby alligator in the lake. It made me super nervous to walk by the grassy/woodsy areas at night because there wasn’t a lot of lighting.

Man if I saw an alligator next to my boat I would be so nervous. If I saw one on the trail I would be nervous too. I think it would be hard to not yell or make some kind of noise on accident but that would only alert them. We do like to bike and walk on trails so we’ll just have to be aware like you said and be mindful of the time of day.

I was thinking about this last night, with the lakes, finding one that is open to the public - lots of private lakes or lake that only offer a few spots to put in at, or that is swim-able... no algae, not alot of hydrilla, and the bottom is not covered in grass and is okay to swim in... is hard...- As well finding a boat ramp to launch from can prove challenging... they fill up fast...
As far as choppy water, once you get boats of all different size causing different size wakes, then you have some of the jet skier, that have the need for speed, and race around doing tricks, or seeing who can make the biggest spray... then water just gets natural choppy. Also you have to take into consideration the weather, and watch the boating report they report the chop and if the lakes are white capping you don't go out...... it is normally pretty accurate, as well as the famous afternoon thunder storms.... which is why we love our boat more stability in the water.

I will say that the boats have bigger heavy duty trailers, so its more stable launch and loading process. Some of the jet ski trailers, kinda bob around in the water, if the water is too high or too low it makes for a difficult time launching and getting them back on the trailer... and the trailer tongue isn't as long as most boat trailers, so that puts your truck/SUV closer to the water... we have seen a several occasions, a vehicle trying to pull out a jet ski trailer almost slide into the water... scary...

Lot's of folks think because the water is murky its dirty... that can go either way... the water takes on the tea like color due to the Cypress tree roots cause this look... during the summer month you have to aware of the water temp, if it gets to warm, nasty little amoebas get in the water and can make you sick, so cool water that moves like on the river, or springs are what you want to check out... As the summer heats up we will head to the springs where the water is ice cold a safe to swim in...

To help your DH get his sea legs, you also can rent pontoon boat on the St. Johns river for the day, check out blue springs I think that they rent boats for the day from there... we see them passing by our "beach area" which is really not a beach, it just a area along the river that a bunch of boats stop at and hang out for the day...

On another note... How is your DH feeling? and any word on how the interview went yet? still sending pixie dust...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!