Moving to/living in Orlando

We don't have to worry about gators at all? Are there certain lakes that are better than others or are they all pretty good? I'm sure they all have the potential to have gators right?
Lks Harny Jessup and Monroe have the most. Any lake will have them. I see them in retention ponds along I4. They just aren’t something to worry about unless you walk a small dog near the edge. I’ve seen them cross the road but that’s not common. Every once in awhile you’ll here of an attack but it’s nithing to think or worry about.

Lks Harny Jessup and Monroe have the most. Any lake will have them. I see them in retention ponds along I4. They just aren’t something to worry about unless you walk a small dog near the edge. I’ve seen them cross the road but that’s not common. Every once in awhile you’ll here of an attack but it’s nithing to think or worry about.
Okay thanks that makes me feel better. It just seems unnerving to go swimming in a lake knowing there are gators in it

The worse the winter the more people you can see flood in. I spent every few weeks of it in Canada and about froze to death. Got back a few days ago.
Funny that you mention flooding because that’s what’s happening now. We had all of that crappy ice and snow and it’s all melting rapidly. We have roads closed for flooding. Nothing like what’s happening in Nebraska though

Okay thanks that makes me feel better. It just seems unnerving to go swimming in a lake knowing there are gators in it

I’d be very careful about swimming in the lakes. On a jet ski or boat you’ll be fine as the noise is going to drive them away. Also, in the summer, when the water temps are warm, there’s the potential for deadly amoeba in the water (the reason why Disney’s River Country closed years ago).

I swam in a lake for the first time in years last year, but I was around a ton of people which is way more likely to scare off gators... but I was still nervous the whole time! I prefer swimming in the natural springs, where the water is typically too cold for gators.

I’d be very careful about swimming in the lakes. On a jet ski or boat you’ll be fine as the noise is going to drive them away. Also, in the summer, when the water temps are warm, there’s the potential for deadly amoeba in the water (the reason why Disney’s River Country closed years ago).

I swam in a lake for the first time in years last year, but I was around a ton of people which is way more likely to scare off gators... but I was still nervous the whole time! I prefer swimming in the natural springs, where the water is typically too cold for gators.

All of this. Lake swimming isn’t a thing here (well maybe it is, but it shouldn’t be).

The springs are great! No brain eating Amoeba, no gators, and sometimes manatees! I would not go swimming in a lake here. Stick to pools and springs.

All of this. Lake swimming isn’t a thing here (well maybe it is, but it shouldn’t be).

The springs are great! No brain eating Amoeba, no gators, and sometimes manatees! I would not go swimming in a lake here. Stick to pools and springs.
I’d be very careful about swimming in the lakes. On a jet ski or boat you’ll be fine as the noise is going to drive them away. Also, in the summer, when the water temps are warm, there’s the potential for deadly amoeba in the water (the reason why Disney’s River Country closed years ago). Also, love jet skis but wondered about alligators as well. What if one falls off a jet ski? Might be dangerous...:confused:

I saw something about springs and kyacks. We love kyacks, but I was also scared off about the whole threat of alligators.
Is kyacking in springs popular?:confused: Thanks.:goodvibes

I guess I don’t really know what a spring is. Is it like a pond? I don’t think we have springs around here

I saw something about springs and kyacks. We love kyacks, but I was also scared off about the whole threat of alligators.
Is kyacking in springs popular?:confused: Thanks.:goodvibes
Very much. Many places rent canoes or inner tubes. A few years ago a lady had her arm but off by a gator in Wekiva Springs. Gators are in all body’s of water. We don’t worry about them unless along remote areas. Then we are careful. The oemebas are only a threat when water temps are very high usually in mid summer and along the shore line in the silt. You are safe to jet ski out in the lakes where the water is clean and cooler. But I don’t know if I would. It’s children usually that are effected since the play in the silt along the shore line.

Dh had the chance to briefly drive around some areas today before his interview. He drove up to Ocoee because we had about 4 houses saved there and he said it looked really nice. He couldn’t go in the neighborhood because it was gated. He then drove through doctor Phillips because we had like 7-8 houses saved there and he said it looked old and run down. He did say he barely drove through so it might not be a good depiction but that was his initial thought. He didn’t have time to go to winter garden or Windermere

Very much. Many places rent canoes or inner tubes. A few years ago a lady had her arm but off by a gator in Wekiva Springs. Gators are in all body’s of water. We don’t worry about them unless along remote areas. Then we are careful. The oemebas are only a threat when water temps are very high usually in mid summer and along the shore line in the silt. You are safe to jet ski out in the lakes where the water is clean and cooler. But I don’t know if I would. It’s children usually that are effected since the play in the silt along the shore line.
Wow this really worries me. I guess I see why so many people have either their own pool or a neighborhood pool. We probably would just avoid murky colored water because idk if I could make myself get in. We actually got married in Orlando and rode jet skis after and it never crossed our mind about the gators

I googled it and it said she was in the river. Someone mentioned if you’re in the designated swim area it should be okay
It’s a large spring that bubbles water out of the ground and flows eventually into Lk Monroe and the St Johns river. Maybe google Wekiva Sorings State Park. It should show a picture of it. The water that comes out is 72F year round.

Dh had the chance to briefly drive around some areas today before his interview. He drove up to Ocoee because we had about 4 houses saved there and he said it looked really nice. He couldn’t go in the neighborhood because it was gated. He then drove through doctor Phillips because we had like 7-8 houses saved there and he said it looked old and run down. He did say he barely drove through so it might not be a good depiction but that was his initial thought. He didn’t have time to go to winter garden or Windermere

That’s strange about Dr. Phillips. Where did he go? Most of DP is meticulously manicured with upscale neighborhoods. There is one area along Turkey Lake Rd. and Shadow Bay Park that looks a little rough. Sand Lake Hills and Clubhouse Estates are also on the lower end of housing in this area; it’s kind of a mixed bag of well kept and not so much.

The springs are beautiful swimming holes where the water bubbles up from the underground aquifer from a crevice. These swimming holes generally flow into a river. Google photos of Rock Springs at Kelly Park, Wekiva Springs and Blue Springs (these are just a few in Central FL).

I currently live in the part of Ocoee south of the Turnpike and although I like this area, if I had the choice I’d rather live in Dr. Phillips.

Kayaking and Canoeing are both popular activities in the springs, rivers and lakes. We don’t live in fear of gators here; it’s precaution and respect and knowing how to minimize risk of contact (don’t wade, especially in reeds, be vigilant at dawn and dusk, know when mating season is, etc.).

That’s strange about Dr. Phillips. Where did he go? Most of DP is meticulously manicured with upscale neighborhoods. There is one area along Turkey Lake Rd. and Shadow Bay Park that looks a little rough. Sand Lake Hills and Clubhouse Estates are also on the lower end of housing in this area; it’s kind of a mixed bag of well kept and not so much.

The springs are beautiful swimming holes where the water bubbles up from the underground aquifer from a crevice. These swimming holes generally flow into a river. Google photos of Rock Springs at Kelly Park, Wekiva Springs and Blue Springs (these are just a few in Central FL).

I currently live in the part of Ocoee south of the Turnpike and although I like this area, if I had the choice I’d rather live in Dr. Phillips.

Kayaking and Canoeing are both popular activities in the springs, rivers and lakes. We don’t live in fear of gators here; it’s precaution and respect and knowing how to minimize risk of contact (don’t wade, especially in reeds, be vigilant at dawn and dusk, know when mating season is, etc.).
I'm not exactly sure if he just drove through or actually tried looking at the houses we had saved. Most of the houses I have saved are right below Palm Lake and I have a couple by Ball Park. He said it just looked kind of run down and old. He also said he saw a sketchy guy walking on the sidewalk without his shirt on lol. Not sure why he felt like mentioning that.

If we move, we'll have to look into visiting some of these springs! They all look really pretty!!! If there are manatees in the water, gators wouldn't be nearby them would they?

The houses we have saved in Ocoee are close to Maguire Rd and south of the Turnpike. We like them because they are under 300k which is our hope for a house. What do you like about Dr. Phillips compared to Ocoee?

I'm not exactly sure if he just drove through or actually tried looking at the houses we had saved. Most of the houses I have saved are right below Palm Lake and I have a couple by Ball Park. He said it just looked kind of run down and old. He also said he saw a sketchy guy walking on the sidewalk without his shirt on lol. Not sure why he felt like mentioning that.

If we move, we'll have to look into visiting some of these springs! They all look really pretty!!! If there are manatees in the water, gators wouldn't be nearby them would they?

The houses we have saved in Ocoee are close to Maguire Rd and south of the Turnpike. We like them because they are under 300k which is our hope for a house. What do you like about Dr. Phillips compared to Ocoee?

He was most likely in that run down neighborhood I mentioned above. It's definitely an anomaly in Dr. Phillips... if I had the money, I would love to buy up those houses and flip them!

It's very, very rare to see a gator in the springs. I never have. The water is 72 degrees year round and that's too cold for them, generally. Manatees and gators can definitely co-exist, though.

A big part of loving Dr. Phillips is that I grew up there, so it is very much home for me. But I do like that it has way more shopping, dining and grocery options (not only multiple Publix stores, but also Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market), it's closer to Universal and Disney and all the entertainment without being too negatively affected by it. That said there's nothing wrong with this part of Ocoee- it's safe, it's really convenient to the 408, 429 and the Turnpike, and it's close to Winter Garden which has a really cute downtown and some local businesses I like. The Winter Garden Village is huge and convenient too, although it can be really crazy busy. The downside is that the "wrong side of the tracks" is essentially directly on the other side of the Turnpike. $300k is going to get you a lot more house in Ocoee than it will in Dr. Phillips (which is why your husband ended up in the more run-down areas). This part of Ocoee is basically Windermere without the name- so you get the benefit of a safe, well manicured area without having to pay the property taxes for it. It's really not a bad option, it's just going to come down to which house/neighborhood/area you like the most.

In all honesty my favorite neighborhoods in Orlando are around downtown, and it's where I plan on moving in a few months!

He was most likely in that run down neighborhood I mentioned above. It's definitely an anomaly in Dr. Phillips... if I had the money, I would love to buy up those houses and flip them!

It's very, very rare to see a gator in the springs. I never have. The water is 72 degrees year round and that's too cold for them, generally. Manatees and gators can definitely co-exist, though.

A big part of loving Dr. Phillips is that I grew up there, so it is very much home for me. But I do like that it has way more shopping, dining and grocery options (not only multiple Publix stores, but also Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market), it's closer to Universal and Disney and all the entertainment without being too negatively affected by it. That said there's nothing wrong with this part of Ocoee- it's safe, it's really convenient to the 408, 429 and the Turnpike, and it's close to Winter Garden which has a really cute downtown and some local businesses I like. The Winter Garden Village is huge and convenient too, although it can be really crazy busy. The downside is that the "wrong side of the tracks" is essentially directly on the other side of the Turnpike. $300k is going to get you a lot more house in Ocoee than it will in Dr. Phillips (which is why your husband ended up in the more run-down areas). This part of Ocoee is basically Windermere without the name- so you get the benefit of a safe, well manicured area without having to pay the property taxes for it. It's really not a bad option, it's just going to come down to which house/neighborhood/area you like the most.

In all honesty my favorite neighborhoods in Orlando are around downtown, and it's where I plan on moving in a few months!
Thanks for all the info! Ocoee sounds nice to me. We would just have to come down and look around before we make any decisions

Dh just finished his interview and he said he thinks he nailed it. He should hear back within a week!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter