Moving to Florida with Autistic DS22

Nothing is going to be as good as Massachusetts. But Florida has a very developed special needs post high programming .. go to thinkcollege.net. Also there are are several housing apartments for those with special needs. I would call The Arc in Jacksonville. The model may be more do it yourself in Florida but not impossible.

Nothing is going to be as good as Massachusetts. But Florida has a very developed special needs post high programming .. go to thinkcollege.net. Also there are are several housing apartments for those with special needs. I would call The Arc in Jacksonville. The model may be more do it yourself in Florida but not impossible.
Thanks!! I have reached out to the Arc in St Johns. :thumbsup2

Thanks!! I have reached out to the Arc in St Johns. :thumbsup2
I would call too. I find those emails to be black holes too often! Did you look at the Arc Jacksonville website? They have a whole apartment complex
For those with special needs.

I would call too. I find those emails to be black holes too often! Did you look at the Arc Jacksonville website? They have a whole apartment complex

Yeah, but what is the waiting list like? We have a few of these in my city. Average wait is 3-4 years. Simply listing something on a website doesn't mean it's a viable option.

Thank you. I have heard back from the Arc of StJ's. They told me what the process is. And there is a waiting list for the Medicaid Waiver Service, tho I don't know what the wait is at this point in time. I need to reach out to the Agency for Persons with Disabilities in Florida and go from there.

I will look into the Arc Jacksonville. Regarding the apartment complex, the plan is for our son to live with us for as long as God willing we are alive to take care of him (we are in our early 50's). The thought of him living away from us is just too terrifying to think about.

Thank you. I have heard back from the Arc of StJ's. They told me what the process is. And there is a waiting list for the Medicaid Waiver Service, tho I don't know what the wait is at this point in time. I need to reach out to the Agency for Persons with Disabilities in Florida and go from there.

I will look into the Arc Jacksonville. Regarding the apartment complex, the plan is for our son to live with us for as long as God willing we are alive to take care of him (we are in our early 50's). The thought of him living away from us is just too terrifying to think about.

Would you need the Waiver? Isn't that typically for in-home services? I read somewhere it's about a 7-year wait for the waiver in Florida.

Yeah, but what is the waiting list like? We have a few of these in my city. Average wait is 3-4 years. Simply listing something on a website doesn't mean it's a viable option.

The upside about Florida is they seem to be expanding communities, probably because of the aging population who wants to live near their disabled children. It seems waiting lists around the country are long. My friend's child has been on the waiting list for a group home in Michigan for 12 years.

Just an idea: If you can tap into that community, just for socialization and outings, that kind of thing, and connect with other parents, that could be valuable even if your child didn't live there.

We live in Lake City and there is nothing around here like that. Jacksonville, being a big city, is more likely to have services.

Our son is 29 and suffered a TBI so we have the Florida Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program that will pay for things he needs. Even so, they don't offer any programs, you have to find those yourself. My son belongs to a group that gets together once a week to play games, and they also do some things outside of that such as go to movies and such. It's not a disabled group, just a nerd group, but they accept him and even take him to the movies with them.

I know other disabled adults that belong to young adult groups through churches and are very active.

We live in NJ. My son (age 28, Downs and Autism) goes to a program 5X a week, M-F. Bus transports him door to door, it is from about 9-2:30 each day. They do various recreational activities, including trips. Exercise, use computers, music, movies, games, swimming on occasion, bowling. Are there day programs similar in Florida? (He is not employable, he is non verbal, needs supervision, and wanders off.)

Hi! My autistic children are 8, and we have considered moving. Connecticut, a high tax state, has miserable programming for disabled adults. Also an incredibly high cost of living. It’s tough, because the places with the best reputations are the most expensive. NY & NJ are allegedly good when it comes to adult care. Here is a link to a report that I find very useful. It rates each state by category. http://cfi.ucp.org/

Hi! My autistic children are 8, and we have considered moving. Connecticut, a high tax state, has miserable programming for disabled adults. Also an incredibly high cost of living. It’s tough, because the places with the best reputations are the most expensive. NY & NJ are allegedly good when it comes to adult care. Here is a link to a report that I find very useful. It rates each state by category. http://cfi.ucp.org/

Interesting survey - I find it really hard to believe MA is 26th though. I work in the special needs field - if you want services for your adult child, you can definitely get them in MA. I didn't look too deeply at the data yet - but I will.

OK - I looked at the "data" - some of it is hooey, to use a technical term. Grading on going to a religious service? Also, there doesn't seem to be a consideration for percentage of populations.

I'd look at more than this to decide where to move. I think the OP should make some calls to her considered area.

Last edited:
The problem with almost any state ranking is the disparity of services within a state. Louisiana ranks very low in health care - but New Orleans has two excellent medical schools and superb care.

Same thing on a more local level with education. One of the large public high schools near my Arkansas home gets a C+ overall rating. But educators from the top private schools admit that the honors program at the public school surpasses what they offer.

It all boils down to what is available in your backyard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter