Moving to BWV at 7 mo window for 1/25. Call or online?

madchatter

...mustard? Now don’t let’s be silly...
I'm a new owner and this is my first time changing from home resort to another.
MS recommends I just call in and that it's not a busy time of year. Shouldn't be a problem. It's a short stay.

Stay is 1/25-1/28 so window is only a few days away. Availability is still showing for the garden/pool view category which is what I have points alotted for. But January is gradually starting to 'grey out' as we get closer.

So, question, am I safe to call in and do this (my preference since I'm nervous and new to the two browser method) OR is that too risky and I should take advantage of the earlier hour and get it done that way?

Back up plans could include BCV or BRV since they are the same points. But we prefer BWV for festival of the arts at Epcot.

I appreciate your thoughts...

I'd call it in unless you had sufficient points available in the current UY to book the BWV reservation before cancelling your home resort reservation. (Not many have that luxury, of course. Thus, my first impulse reaction: phone in this request.)

Welcome to the DVC reservation lotto. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Plan for the worse but hope for the best.

:earsboy: Bill

I'd call it in unless you had sufficient points available in the current UY to book the BWV reservation before cancelling your home resort reservation. (Not many have that luxury, of course. Thus, my first impulse reaction: phone in this request.)
I don't. I'd have to use the method of finding the new booking, pausing the process and then cancelling the old one before proceeding. Kind of stressful.

Since you are new to the whole thing, it would be less stressful to just call in.

Just remember as you look to find a room at BWV, some of those owners are looking to move to some where else. Be sure to get on a wait list if the room is not available right as you call. Good luck and have a great trip.

Is there still availability where you are currently booked or at some other place that would be ok to stay at? If so they I'd give it a try online. In that sense what's a consideration is if there is a backup should something happen with getting the BWV room and I suspect there are several backups available.

I would also do what the PP stated...We had BWV booked starting 1/20 and I just canceled that and booked BC right at 8am on the 20th. BW may be gone by 9 if you wait to call in.

So, just to update this, it was NOT available today when I called. The first day was unavailable. None of my backup options were available either.

I guess waiting for the phone was the wrong decision. And it's a little scary to realize that this "slow time" is still pretty much impossible at 7 months.

We are happy staying at our home resort and will obviously be doing that most of the time looks like. But we were excited about being able to try different places as part of our membership. And this time of year showed as very doable and likely on all the predictions and charts I could find.

Oh well, so, we placed a waitlist for all three nights. That's really all I could do since only my first night is in the 7 month window at this point. Starting tomorrow, I guess I could book a split stay and only waitlist whatever isn't available by then. Is that what you guys would do?

Waitlist all three since its short?
Split stay and waitlist fewer?

We really don't want to change resorts though. We don't want to end up with a split stay on a short trip.

Thanks again

Sorry you were unable to get your desired reservation by phoning ... however ... have you read the recent reports of website failures? You might have lost both reservations (the Home Resort already in hand AND the intended BWV unit) had the website hiccuped during your transaction. I think it is still better to have something "in hand" and then use the waitlist.

If you don't want a split stay, I'd do a single waitlist for the entire stay using the waitlist's feature of "replace an existing reservation." Just keep an eye on point values and map out how the transaction might borrow points (if needed) or leave points dangling (if the new reservation is fewer than the existing).

Keep watching as rooms continually become available. Or waitlist the stay. Something may turn up.
Good luck.

I was just going to say that you have lots of time for a waitlist and still have a good chance for it. Lol. Glad it filled.

That is great that it all worked out for ya. I just wonder though, if she had done it online at 8, instead of waiting to call in at 9, could she have gotten it during that time frame. Very interesting to read about.

That is great that it all worked out for ya. I just wonder though, if she had done it online at 8, instead of waiting to call in at 9, could she have gotten it during that time frame. Very interesting to read about.
To do this yourself at 8AM, you must either (a) have points available to book the non-home resort as a new reservation before cancelling the home-resort; or (b) take a risk by cancelling the home resort before booking the non-home.

By phoning, the rep can get a soft-hold on the new reservation before releasing the original reservation.

To do this yourself at 8AM, you must either (a) have points available to book the non-home resort as a new reservation before cancelling the home-resort; or (b) take a risk by cancelling the home resort before booking the non-home.

By phoning, the rep can get a soft-hold on the new reservation before releasing the original reservation.
This is why people use the two computer, two browser option?

But can they really put a hold on it? I dont know if they can - they didn't used to be able to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter