MoviePass? $9.99/month 1 theater movie a day

IMAX isn't allowable, even if you pay an up charge. You got it for tomorrow. Sound like you're on of the lucky MP customers with a participating E-Ticket theater. That's one of the reasons for ticket verification.
Christopher Robin is now available in most theaters near me. Mission Impossible is greyed out at one theater but not another (neither is an E-Ticket partner). I bought an annual MP through COSTCO. I may join those who cancel. Too many games. If I don't go to the theater and buy tickets by lunchtime I'm out of luck. Shows get greyed out closer to show time.

I read the real problem with MP. Their statistics show the average movie goer sees about 10 movies a year with an average ticket price just under $8. The math just works. Real profit would be if MP got discounted tickets, % of popcorn sales and money from data mining.

Reality--People who sign up for MP are more likely to be in areas of the country where ticket prices are $10-$14. A person who pays for MP is likely to go to more then 10 movies a year. Even with the changes....A business which gives you a ten dollar bill in exchange for a dollar or two is doomed. Same business changes the deal to a ten dollar bill in exchange for a five isn't going to last that much longer. Average ticket price of $10 (or more). Monthly fee of $10. Forget 3 movies a week, 2 movies a month and MP is sunk.

AMC took the lead. Theaters don't need MP if they want to experiment with different plans.

From what I read, Moviepass' ultimate goal was to get such a large share of the movie going market that they could bully the major theater chains into giving them a share of the profits - both tickets and concessions. They thought they could simply threaten to cut chains that didn't give in out of the app, forcing the customers to go elsewhere if they wanted to use moviepass. It was a pretty good gamble, but it didn't work. I think that was what the peak pricing attempt was, the movie theaters wouldn't give them a cut so they tried to get the customers to pay.

Now they are out of money and trying to find other ways to make a profit (like producing their own movies, etc). Unfortunately, they angered their customers to the point that they probably won't ever recover. It's a shame, they should have started with a more sustainable product from the beginning.

From what I read, Moviepass' ultimate goal was to get such a large share of the movie going market that they could bully the major theater chains into giving them a share of the profits - both tickets and concessions. They thought they could simply threaten to cut chains that didn't give in out of the app, forcing the customers to go elsewhere if they wanted to use moviepass. It was a pretty good gamble, but it didn't work. I think that was what the peak pricing attempt was, the movie theaters wouldn't give them a cut so they tried to get the customers to pay.

Now they are out of money and trying to find other ways to make a profit (like producing their own movies, etc). Unfortunately, they angered their customers to the point that they probably won't ever recover. It's a shame, they should have started with a more sustainable product from the beginning.
The service was first introduced at $40/ month. They didn't get enough subscribers hence the rock bottom price. Their theory was if you keep customers long enough their movie habits would go back to maybe a movie every week or so. Problem is $10/month doesn't work even if the customer sees one movie a month.

The service was first introduced at $40/ month. They didn't get enough subscribers hence the rock bottom price. Their theory was if you keep customers long enough their movie habits would go back to maybe a movie every week or so. Problem is $10/month doesn't work even if the customer sees one movie a month.

It was actually $50/month for major users before the price break...and users went from the thousands to 3M in 10 months...so they did spur the demand...

The ceo said that the average person that goes to the movies goes 4 times a year. He isn’t that smart he thought they will sign up for movie pass. No one that goes 4 times a year is going to sign up for movie pass well maybe a couple dumb people out there.

I thought movie pass was done with the no movies are available. Last couple of days movies were available tonight nothing available.

Been to 2 different chains the past 2 weeks, a Cinemark and an AMC, they both have their own plans and in my area movie theaters are pretty regional so 95% of the time you go to the same theater so no need for Moviepass pass.

Still debating if we should accept the new terms. We’re seeing the Meg tomorrow, so paying for that ourselves. That’s our big sticking point. We see movies on opening weekend. If they’re still going to block out most new releases, it won’t work for us.

Also kind of annoyed I have to accept the new terrms over a week before my monthly charge date. I can’t even see the current offerings without accepting. So essentially I can’t use the rest of my already paid month without accepting the new terms. I am leary of accepting & then cancelling, since I have read reports of people not seeing a cancel option on the app. At least if I don’t accept, they’ll cancel for me. This past month we will only have see 1 movie, so no savings/ benefit at all for us this month. One month is ok, but I am not gonna keep giving them money for nothing. :mad:

At least for today The Meg is showing as available even at non e-ticket theaters. Of course they are still not offering all time slots and they disappear hours before the actual show time so plan to have to make 2 trips to the theater if you are going to try to use your Moviepass account to pay.

The last 3 movies I have seen I have had to pay out of pocket for because the times either disappear as we get near the actual showtime or I bought online in advance because it was at popular assigned seating theaters.

I have two more days on my membership and they are showing that I can see Mission Impossible about 4 hours from now. So I guess if I want to do that, I have to go get the ticket now? Hardly seems worth it.

I finally caved and signed up for AMC's A-list last weekend. Will be seeing my second movie tonight - it is so nice to be able to pre-reserve good seats and not have to fret about seating or availability after driving 20 mins to get to the theater. MoviePass has been a nightmare for the last few weeks, and from what I can tell, even with their new 3 movies/month plan, it may be some time before popular new releases are made available.

I hope MP succeeds as that is the only way it will keep the price of AMC's A-list and similar offerings reasonable.

I take back what I said about The Meg being available. Since I posted that they have eliminated everything except Slenderman, Christopher Robin, & Mission Impossible.

I’ve had MoviePass since last October and it’s saved me over $400 in that time (yea I go to the movies a lot). But as soon as Alamo Drafthouse rolls out their new plan nationwide I’m gone from MP, tired to these seems like weekly changes to how it works, or doesn’t work.

I take back what I said about The Meg being available. Since I posted that they have eliminated everything except Slenderman, Christopher Robin, & Mission Impossible.

Thanks for the info! We go to the drive in, so no buying tickets ahead of time. The box office there doesn’t open til they start letting you in about 2 hours before the movie.

I wish we had more AMCs near us. All we have is 1 AMC, about 30 minutes away. Not traveling there regularly in a Buffalo winter. We do have a Regal closer & a small local chain. Maybe Regal will come up with a plan one of these days

Today’s movies are slender man and the meg. The only 2 movies that are showing up on movie pass. I’m sure when the time gets near it won’t be available.

Today’s movies are slender man and the meg. The only 2 movies that are showing up on movie pass. I’m sure when the time gets near it won’t be available.

That is exactly what I see also. We have 3 AMC theaters in our town, comprising 28 screens and my only choices are slender man and the meg. I think I may contact Costco and cancel our subscriptions.

I was able to get a ticket for MI 20 minutes before showtime. Took the gamble since DH was paying for his ticket anyway, and didn't want to make the trip earlier. A family sat in front of us with two very active and vocal little kids, so I guess not going to the movies as often is ok. We both have canceled now.

I was wrong I was able to get a ticket for the meg. I thought for sure the movie will disappear when the time got close like it has been doing.

I had the Meg showing at our drive 8n all day yesterday. Well. All day until 5:30 pm. Box office didn’t even open til 7. So of course, we paid ourselves. The Spy Who Dumped Me was als. listed as available, but that disappeared just before 7 as well. :sad2: We decided we’ll see what happens after the changes on the 15th. If movies aren’t available all day, we’ll cancel too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter