Move from Pop to PO April/May 2020 to Avoid Cheer Groups?

bavarian princess

Mouseketeer
I am currently booked for Pop from April 25 to May 5 2020. I didn't know that it will be one of the "cheer hotels" and that's why I am now thinking of switching to one of the Port Orleans hotels. Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks in advance :flower3:

I’m hardly an expert, but if the difference in price doesn’t matter, then I’d choose POFQ over Pop in a heartbeat.

We’ve not encountered too many cheer groups at Pop (we see them a LOT at the All Stars), but POFQ is a lot quieter, has a far more intimate feeling, far more compact, has a lot nicer food court, and it’s better located for Epcot and MK.

Hands down choice for us is POFQ. (But we do like Pop!)

I love POFQ but wont Pop be a gondola hotel by then? Gondola access might make a difference to me as well. I might just put up with a few cheerleaders.

Last edited:

I didn't know that it will be one of the "cheer hotels" and that's why I am now thinking of switching to one of the Port Orleans hotels.
Switch.

If you want to avoid the cheer groups at the resort then do not stay at POP.

Yeah, I'd always choose one of the Port Orleans resorts over Pop if the difference in cost isn't an issue. They are much more relaxing resorts.

Thanks everyone for your quick answers. I have stayed at Pop twice and did like it. I have also stayed at POR twice and loved it. I am torn as the price difference between those two hotels is certainly noticeable and I tend to say, if I pay less I can go more often :teeth: BUT I also know that I like it more quiet and I don't want to be stuck in a room that is surrounded by cheer groups. As always, life is full of tough choices :upsidedow I am currently leaning towards POFQ...

Thanks everyone for your quick answers. I have stayed at Pop twice and did like it. I have also stayed at POR twice and loved it. I am torn as the price difference between those two hotels is certainly noticeable and I tend to say, if I pay less I can go more often :teeth: BUT I also know that I like it more quiet and I don't want to be stuck in a room that is surrounded by cheer groups. As always, life is full of tough choices :upsidedow I am currently leaning towards POFQ...
I would go with POFQ. I’d like to add that we’ve seen cheer and dance groups at POR so you won’t necessarily be safe there. I don’t think they stay at POFQ though because it’s smaller and doesn’t usually offer as good of discounts.

I would choose POFQ in a heartbeat. It is quaint and quiet. I doubt the cheer overflow will be filtered there because it is an incredibly popular resort. I stayed at CSR during Pop Warner and some of the overflow was sent there. It was not the Circus that took place over at All Stars, and the kids were very well behaved, but there was more noise, especially on the busses. I did not mind them at all but if you want to avoid them completely, I would avoid CSR and CBR as well.

We were at Pop over this past weekend and did not have any issues with the cheer groups. We saw some in the parks and at the resort, but it did not affect our trip in any way. That being said, I would choose POFQ or POR, just because they have so much more of a resort feel than Pop.

I have stayed at CRB in 2016 during a cheer event and there were a few cheer groups but they were very well behaved. I don't mind them in general. I just heard that they can be quite overwhelming when in large groups and that's what I try to avoid :teeth:

Thanks everyone for all the great answers which helped me to make up my mind :flower3: I have decided to go ahead and change to a moderate. Now I am just torn between CSR and POFQ (unfortunately POR is more expensive than the other two). I don't know either of them but I will be staying at CSR the upcoming September. From pictures I find CSR a bit nicer. But on the other hand I like trying new hotels. Date wise I would either choose 04/22-05/02 or 05/01-05/11. Thoughts on the dates and hotels are always welcome ;)

The only group that we found noisy was pop warner and that was the chaperones and not the kids:( We were at ASSP one year during cheer week and other than seeing them one morning when we were on our way to the bus depot, we never heard them. I would not pay extra just because of that,

We were going to book Pop for the week of February 2nd but were told there was no availability that week - likely due to a cheer group. So we're going the week before instead. Will be our first time staying at POP. We stayed at POFQ in 2016 and loved it. Only staying at POP this year because we wanted a longer trip and $$$ is an issue. Also-- the Gondolas sucked me in.

You would have to POFQ to try and avoid them best. POR and CBR seem to get put into group rates more often from what I’ve seen. You might still see them in the pool areas as both POFQ and POR share pools. However, probably not as bad as in the values.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter