Motorized Scooter

mtmona

Earning My Ears
We are planning to be at DW the end of May. (Can't wait--snow today in Montana.) Sadly, I got in a tangle with my back steps and lost. Now my cast and I need a motorized scooter. Any sources out there? I would appreciate any tips someone might have who has been through this. We are staying at OKW. Thanks in advance!

Here are the locations our Dear Moderator, SueM in MN, recommended to me in an earlier post:
All of these places will deliver to OKW:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.scootaround.com/ Not much feedback. Several people who reported they had no problems.

Randy's requires that someone be there for delivery and pick up. The rest will deliver to Bell Services and leave it for you.
There are lots of knowledgable folks on this board who can tell you first hand about WDW in an ECV (aka Scooter).

Good luck!

I use Scootaround when I visit WDW and never had any problems . One time the battery wouldn't keep a charge and I called them and they delivered another scooter right away i highly recomend them.

I am sorry to read you tangled with the steps & lost. However, it is not the end of your trip to WDW. You will definitely see WDW through different eyes this trip!

I have a knee condition, so I rent an ECV while on vacation at WDW. I would definitely rent an ECV from an off site supplier. I have only rented from Walker & plan to do so again soon. Someone else already listed Walker & other companies that rent ECVs.

I started using an ECV at WDW by renting one at each park. I rented from Disney for about four trips & learned over time that renting from Disney presented a few "issues:"

*no guarantee the park will have an ECV regardless of time of day; I was at EPCOT Mother's Day 2002 a half hour after the park opened & no ECVs available at either entrance; another time I entered the Studios in the early afternoon on a weekeday in early December & no ECVs available;

*if you want to park hop there is no guarantee of an ECV at the second park;

*four wheels on a Disney ECV vs. three on off site one (at least the ones I have rented from Walker); three wheels gave me a better turning radius;

*battery holds up a whole lot better on the rented ECV vs. the Disney one; I can tell you where in each of the four parks where my Disney ECV "died;"

*if you rent an ECV you will have it every where you want it - the parks, Downtown Disney, other resorts, etc.

As I mentioned I have rented from Walker Mobility. My experiences have been very good. The ECV has been delivered in a timely manner; the battery has lasted all day & night; the cost is similar to Disney & I have the ECV more than just in the parks; etc. Walker provides a battery charger that I use at night.

As for using an ECV - go for it! You have a need & the ECV will make your trip more enjoyable.

We stay at OKW, & it is very easy to manuever the ECV around the resort. Be sure to make a note in your reservation that you need a ground floor room or an elevator building since you will have an ECV.

I used the busses to the parks. Initially I was hesitant, but the bus drivers were so friendly & very helpful. The bus driver closes the front door of the bus & lets the guest with the ECV on through the back door with a ramp. There are two types of busses. Once you & the ECV are loaded & secure, then other guests are allowed to board the bus.

Have fun & enjoy your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter