Motorized chair on rides ?

Sarahsmom85

Mouseketeer
Can you tell me please. it says in the guide at certain rides that motorized chairs must transfer into an available wheelchair.
1. do these rides have wheelchair there?
2. I don't remember him tranfering at The great movie ride and the living the land ride. I know I did not transfer him to any wheelchair and I know he did ride these rides. I'm confussed.

I know that I had two different experiences at the GMR. Oner time I had to transfer from my ECV to a manual chair provided by the CM and another time I was just waved in . I don't remember about the Land. I drove my ECV into an accessible car at Ellen's Energy attraction.

I drove my Permobil into the ride car at GMR. With a ventilator on the back, it was a tight fit, and there's a little "bump" to go over. I had no problem at Living with the Land. I can't transfer at all, so there are very few rides I can access. These are two of them. ---Kathy

Originally posted by Sarahsmom85
Can you tell me please. it says in the guide at certain rides that motorized chairs must transfer into an available wheelchair.
1. do these rides have wheelchair there?
2. I don't remember him tranfering at The great movie ride and the living the land ride. I know I did not transfer him to any wheelchair and I know he did ride these rides. I'm confussed.

All rides/attractions that require transfer to a manual chair, have them available.

I suspect that some CMs don't understand the difference between an ECV and a power wheelchair. Last trip, I was told I had to transfer on one ride (ToT) although I had been through the pre-show previously. (Can't transfer so wanted to do just the pre-show before taking the chicken exit)

I have taken my power chair on the following rides. Universe of Energy, Mexico boat ride, Buzz Lightyear, Jungle Cruise, Movie Ride, The Land, Figment, Animal Kingdom Safari, Catastrophy Canyon, MK railroad, Monorails, Friendship boats, buses, Pooh Ride, Living Seas Elevators (it's a long way down!). I am told that Small World can be ridden too, but you won't get me on that ride for a bet!

Andrew

It is true that some castmembers do not know they difference between an ECV and power wheelchair. They even call them ECVs. I have had my GAC stamped that I am allowed to remain in my power wheelchair and not transfer to a manual wheelchair because of the hassles I got from a few castmmbers. The only ride that this cannot be done at all is Pirates of the Caribbean. I do not ride that unless I have a companion with me.

Thanks for all the answers. My DH has missed alot. The guide says you cannot do Ellen. Wow I'm glad to find out he might be able too. He's never done POC. He would love too. He won't transfer. I am always with him.
One of the reasons he will not transfer is because we where very cluesless years ago at Disney in Cal when I asked if he could go on Star Tours and was told sure just put him in the seat. I did and he almost rebroke his neck. LOL I didn't know how rough the ride is.
Also can he do some of the preshows? How do you know which one has a chicken door? I think he might like some preshows.
Does testtrack and Mission to Mars have a preshow he might be able to see?

Originally posted by Sarahsmom85
The guide says you cannot do Ellen.

Actually, Ellen (I'm so old I still call it Universe of Energy!!!) is acessible by most, if not all, ECVs as well as power wheelchairs. A few years back, I think that Disney's own ECVs were a bit bigger than the off-site rental machines and the rule was that you could use your own (or off-site rental), but not a Disney rental. This was certainly true for the Conservation Station train.

Also can he do some of the preshows? How do you know which one has a chicken door? I think he might like some preshows.
Does testtrack and Mission to Mars have a preshow he might be able to see?

I have done preshows in my power wheelchair at Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Dinasaur at AK, Test Track & Mission Space.

Tower of Terror is fun, nice gardens, Costumed CM & Rod Sterling on TV. Interesting basement then the chicken door back to the gift shop. When I tried it again last year, the CM told me it wasn't possible. I argued but he wouldn't budge. I will take Talking Hands' advice next trip and get a 'this is not an ECV' GAC card next time.

RnRC & Dinasaur preshows are OK but not great, Test Track a little better if not too crowdwd and it has a reasonable post show & shop.

Mission Space has a fun post show area with computer games themed on 'mission training'.

I have read on these boards that they will sometimes let you 'ride' Star Tours and Body Wars with the simulator stationary, so you can just watch the movie.

Oh... and I once did Haunted Mansion as far as the stretch room. Once everyone else had gone on to the ride area proper, I stayed there whilst the CM re-set the room and then left through a side door.

Andrew

In general, ecvs are the things with a tiller (like bike handlebars) to drive them. In general, if it's got a joystick (or some alternate way of driving like a head array or a sip and puff), it's a power wheelchair.
Midwheel power wheelchairs look different than conventional power wheelchairs and (at least from what I can gather) they seem to be the ones that CMs onfuse with ecvs.
A few years back, I think that Disney's own ECVs were a bit bigger than the off-site rental machines and the rule was that you could use your own (or off-site rental), but not a Disney rental. This was certainly true for the Conservation Station train.
I remember it even saying something about that in th Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities at one point in the past. The old Disney ecvs were like SUVs compared to the newer, smaller ones.
I have read on these boards that they will sometimes let you 'ride' Star Tours and Body Wars with the simulator stationary, so you can just watch the movie.
We haven't done this (my DD likes to be shook up and since she has CP, it's safe for her to do the motion ride). CMs have written that if you want to do this, wait until it's not a busy time and ask the first CM you see if you can do this. Also, FYI, they have available a 4 point harness for both of these rides. It hooks onto the regular seatbelt and some attachment points on the seat. I still would not recommend doing it for someone with "neck issues" since there is not head rest, but if you have good neck control and need some help with upper body/trunk control, it works well. They won't necessarily offer it to you, but if you know they have it, you can ask.
I am told that Small World can be ridden too, but you won't get me on that ride for a bet!
Everyone needs to ride SW at least once. ;) It's my MIL's favorite ride (although my DD has nver liked it that much).

For Pirates of the Caribbean you need to transfer to a manual wheelchair and then be able to transfer to the ride vehicle which is a boat that you need to step down into and to get out step back up. Small World has special boats that allow a wheelchair to go on.
My power wheelchair is a mid-wheel wheelchair and often mistaken for an ECV. That is why I asked for the GAC stating it in not an ECV but a wheelchair.
Warning on Universe of Energy. The ramp inot the ride vehicle is steep and you must back out. I did not fell comfortable with that one.

Warning on Universe of Energy. The ramp inot the ride vehicle is steep and you must back out. I did not fell comfortable with that one.
We've just done it with DD's manual wheelchair, but as I recall, the ramp is fairly narrow too.

I really feel that it safer in a manual wheelchair because someone is behind the chair guiding down the ramp. THis is not true normally with a power wheelchair. Plus with my wheelchair backing is not the safest mode since it is a center wheel control and the steering wheels are in the back.

Star Tours has the 4 points harnesses. Ever wondered why CM's ask that guests with disabilites sit in the front row, one of the edge seat? That's because the places to hook the 4 points harness are there.

I still remember the family I assisted at Star Tours at DLP. The father asked if his son, who was riding in a powerchair and had to stay in a molded seat could ride. To his surprise, I said yes. So, the family came in.

By cheer luck, they were sent to my starspeeder and once there, proceeded to explain to the father that if he can leave the powerchair at the exit and help his son onto the seat (the Star Tours seats are great, cause he did not need to transfer from the molder seat). He did that...

And the look in the boy's eye! His parents told me its was the first time he rode any ride of any kind. He came to visit 25-30 times over the 2 days they visited the theme park. Since putting the 4 points harness can be tricky, I teached his dad how to put it and then, he asked for it and helped the CM secure him.

Nice story, eh?

Originally posted by Absimilliard
Nice story, eh?
nice story, yes!::yes::
Star Tours and Body Wars are what my DD signs "Grandma All Finished" rides, because her Grandma who usually comes with us to WDW doesn't like those kinds of things and won't ride them. But, my DD likes them (with the 4 point harness securely fastened).

Originally posted by Talking Hands
Plus with my wheelchair backing is not the safest mode since it is a center wheel control and the steering wheels are in the back.

A slightly off=topic question for Talking Hands.

Last trip my own power chair broke down, and I ended up in a rented Jazzy. I think it was a Jet. Central drive wheels, steering casters at the back, anti-tip wheels in front.

I always had problems with ramps, because the chair would 'bridge' between the front & back wheels as soon as the front wheels started up the ramp, with central drive wheels lifted off the ground and spinning. Every time I boarded a bus or a Friendship boat I either needed to take a run up to get sufficient momentum or have fomeone give me a brief push.

Is this normal for Jazzys, or was mine just badly adjusted?

Andrew

If the Jazzy's front wheels are too low, yes, it is normal. I had mine adjusted for more clearance and no longer have this problem. The front wheels are the anti tip and usually they are set low for maximum safety but can be adjusted. The newer ones that adjust to the terrain are better.

DH just decided he'd like to go to Sea World. We've been to many different Sea Worlds and I think they are one of the best places for wheelchairs to go. He isn't going to do the rides but here at least he can watch a good many shows.
Anyone know it the back stage tours with the polar bears is accesible?

Now on to Universal. We went yrs ago before IOA. Actually I did go to IOA without DH. I know there is just about nothing he can do there except the Discover place and Zeus. Any tips about using an electic chair here?

By the way thanks for all the advise on Disney I have copied them for my notes.

Sarahsmom- I went to Universal/IOA with my kids. I couldn't do anything at IOA, but Universal had a few shows and attractions that were accessible to someone who can't transfer. I tried to go through the queue lines with my kids when they purchased meals at the quick service places, and they weren't wide enough to turn in ( and I have an adult-narrow chair!). All in all, it was a very frustrating day. I did get an assistance pass which I used at Universal and found their CM's to be very helpful, but the ride technology there doesn't allow for very much accessibility. ---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter