Motivation

butterscotchcollins

Drop Chicken
Wondering if anyone has any good tips for self-motivating or switching things up. I was doing great w/ my training up through running my Fake Half in place of the cancelled SW Half in April, even recovering from a sprained ankle. Now I'm really struggling with sticking to my training program, even though we signed up for another half in August (whether or not that happens in obviously TBD but I have to train as if it is).

What's currently working against me is:
1. Insane work hours - I am usually working from 8:30am-10pm with breaks to eat. I'm not a morning person so waking up early to get out there is a challenge (I could do it if I knew how to actually get out of bed early, I'm sure).
2. So sick of the same routes - I live in NYC so I'm pretty much stuck running around my neighborhood and I've explored every feasible variation of a route up to 13 miles as I can safely run.
3. The warmer temps and increased humidity.
4. The crushing depression of both clinical mental illness and COVID quarantine.

Basically I just need to get out of my funk and get off my butt, any advice/support would be greatly appreciated :wizard:

When motivation wanes, I go back to the basics and ask myself/others a few questions.

-What is your "A" goal?
-What are some of your other running goals?
-Why do you enjoy running? What is your motivation to run?
-Why have you chosen the goals you've chosen?

It's these things that help me define the "why" to running. If I struggle to come up with concrete answers, then I know it's time to switch things up.

The things you've laid out are true challenges. Lots of work (and possibly stress), monotony of route, less desirable environmental running conditions, and to top it all of the current state of affairs. I'd be lying if I said there was an easy answer. Are there other forms of exercise available to you in the short term that could help change things up? Like an online class, gym, studio, free weights at home, indoor cycling, outdoor cycling, etc.? In many cases, these will still help running fitness (albeit less than running itself), but if you end up doing more than if you were just running (or skipping it), then you may end up further ahead. Maybe instead of changing the running route, maybe change up the training. Try some different training paces (like speed work, medium intervals, long intervals, roulette intervals, hill work, etc.) that reinvigorates the desire to go out there and do the training. Try changing the focus from what you have been doing, to something that is new/exciting.

For me, I had to reduce my running because I've kept getting injured. In turn, I started indoor cycling at home and strength work. I'm running less, but overall working out more. And in turn, I'm faster than ever. However, I still don't enjoy the cycling all that much despite the amount of time I'm on the bike (although admittedly being on the bike works out better for my family life since I can do it at home with my 6 yo.). But to motivate myself, it's the only time I allow myself to watch TV that I want to watch. Got a hot new show you love/want to binge on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., then the only way you get to watch it is if you're on the bike. Personally, that trick has worked really well for me. But it takes self-discipline not to watch the shows when not on the bike. Want to know what happens to your favorite character, then better get on the bike.

For motivation, would listening to some music that gets you psyched up before the run help any? I generally don't listen to anything while running but sometimes listening to something while getting ready before hand can help (AC/DC Thunderstruck or Monster by Skillet are a couple I really like).

With the half not until August, a week or two off, or with reduced mileage probably wouldn't hurt any and may help put you in a better mindset?

For switching it up, could you look into some of the Beach Body on Demand stuff, or find a friend who has the DVDs if its only for a short time? I believe there are a lot of youtube videos out there of workout routines, my wife does something called Pop palliates that she really enjoys since the gym is closed, and she can not do her normal classes.

Good Luck, if you did a half on a bum ankle than you can do anything!

When I’m really in a funk, I either (i) try to completely focus on another sport for a while (biking, swimming, tennis, etc) or (ii) throw out the training plan completely and go find the joy in running again (no distance or pace goals, maybe trails, try some weird routes, etc).

In the end, it’s perfectly okay to take a break from running, and oftentimes, you come back even more motivated than before.

I'm not one for apps myself but I just heard about one called "Zombies Run Game."

When I need motivation I buy new shoes.
That along with being at home so much lately I've purchased four new pairs! :oops:

I just signed up for the new session of NYRR virtual group training. It starts this coming week. I am definitely in a rut, my runs feel like a chore, with little motivation to push myself. I did the real classes last fall and it helped with adding variety to my workouts.

I need a race on the upcoming calendar to keep me motivated.

I have been following 10 mile races in the Midwest (I'm in Chicagoland), looking for an opportunity to get a better POT for Wine & Dine and Marathon weekends. Whenever I see one that is still on (and before the W&D cutoff date of August 5) I get re-energized. Then invariably it is either cancelled, postponed to after the cutoff, or changed to a virtual and I have to find another.

I'm on my 4th or 5th iteration, but at the moment, the Trippy Trail on June 27 in Indiana and the Wauna Fest in Wisconsin on July 25 are still on. To be continued.....

I need a race on the upcoming calendar to keep me motivated.

I have been following 10 mile races in the Midwest (I'm in Chicagoland), looking for an opportunity to get a better POT for Wine & Dine and Marathon weekends. Whenever I see one that is still on (and before the W&D cutoff date of August 5) I get re-energized. Then invariably it is either cancelled, postponed to after the cutoff, or changed to a virtual and I have to find another.

I'm on my 4th or 5th iteration, but at the moment, the Trippy Trail on June 27 in Indiana and the Wauna Fest in Wisconsin on July 25 are still on. To be continued.....

Martian 1/2 Marathon in Dearborn was moved from its usual April to July 25. It's pretty flat and fast. (It's my half PR)

Martian 1/2 Marathon in Dearborn was moved from its usual April to July 25. It's pretty flat and fast. (It's my half PR)
Thanks; I'll check it out.
I've been focusing on 10 milers this spring/summer only because of a sort of quirk in the runDisney conversions. As you may be aware, the times for the last POT corral have been lowered from 2:45 to 2:30. A 2:30 is approximately 11:27 per mile. My current POT is 2:30:38 (11:30 per mile). Based on @DopeyBadger estimates the equivalent 10 mile is around 1:54 or 11:24 per mile.
For me running 10 miles at 11:24 would be easier than running 13.1 at 11:27. But beggars can't be choosers, and I will run either in my quest to be a POT corral.

I trained for a marathon and ran 20 miles on a track. That tested my resolve.

To get through it, I played an amazing soundtrack and tried focusing on landing to the beat.
When that began to age, I focused on who I was running the marathon with: my wife. That kept me going.
When That started to age, I was around mile 15 or so and the few remaining miles pushed me through to the end.

With your schedule, it will be difficult to get the time in so you have to make time for running. Just get it in whenever
you have 30 minutes. You've got this!

Motivation has been hard for me too. Like you, my work hours in the last two years are much more than previous. But also, the type of work right now is much more stressful due to world events so it feels like running a marathon in my brain daily!
My daughter has also gotten extra clingy during the quarantine and now that I'm back in the office it's only gotten worse. So "me time" for running makes me feel extremely guilty on weekdays when all she wants is to see me. If I were to work, then cook dinner, then run. She'd get about 30 minutes of real mommy time before tucking her in. I don't get to see her in the morning as I leave very early for work.
Sigh....
I used to run at a gym on a treadmill on workday nights after tucking her in (yes, i was the crazy person running for 60-90 min starting at 8:30-9pm) but now I won't go to the gym due to the virus.
My indoor bike has been a lifesaver. Because I can ride that when she's asleep. And weekend outside runs have been great...just wish it wasn't so hot out. And my outdoor bike because my daughter will ride bikes with me. But I know I'm not doing a consistent job of running specific days to make it my habit again.
I hope once school starts she will be less clingy and I can really focus on Fall training for marathon weekend. And I'm looking forward to the shift in the weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!