Motion sickness

EdmondD

DIS Veteran
I get the impression that the Universal parks are more screen-y/simulator-y than the Disney parks and I'm moderately concerned about motion sickness. I'm okay on Soarin', but Star Tours gets me a little and FoP definitely got me.

At Universal, I have been warned to avoid the Simpsons....anything else that's particularly bad?

Good advice--- The Simpsons bothered my DH, DS, and DD so much. I was OK. My daughter and son are never bothered with motion sickness, they are 19 and 22, but The Simpsons was nauseating for them.
Universal is very much into the simulation rides. I would say there were about 6-8 rides that were bothersome for my family.

Hi Simpson's gets my family also. Forbidden Journey makes my DD and I motion sick but my DH and DS can ride it with no problems. There is a lot of motion with the car up and down, back and forth and there is a flying scene. You might want to send someone on that first who knows you and would give you an idea. The ride is amazing but it is not worth it for me to ruin my day.

I get the impression that the Universal parks are more screen-y/simulator-y than the Disney parks and I'm moderately concerned about motion sickness. I'm okay on Soarin', but Star Tours gets me a little and FoP definitely got me.

At Universal, I have been warned to avoid the Simpsons....anything else that's particularly bad?

Do NOT and I repeat do NOT ride Forbidden Journey. I'm pretty good on WDW rides (the only one that got me was Mission SPACE). My sister and I rode FJ and had to leave the park for the day because we were so sick. My parents opted out of the ride (my mom is extremely prone to motion sickness) and they were watching every other person come out of the ride and go straight to the same trash can to get sick :crazy2: I think a lot of people have a hard time with FJ.

FJ would be the other one to look out for, but hopefully someone can make suggestions on what to do to decrease the chances of getting sick, or things to take, as FJ is a personal favorite of mine and I can't imagine if I had motion sickness and never rode that ride period due to that condition. If anything, you can go through the queue if you're a massive fan if you do not want to chance it.

There has been so many threads about this subject that I know there are a lot of people that have your condition that take things, or do things to prevent themselves from getting sick and go on these rides, as most of the rides at Universal are based off of movement and screens. I would imagine someone might have a suggestion, or you can look at past threads to see what others have done.

Thanks all! We'll be taking Dramamine for sure!

I wouldn't miss out on riding FJ especially if you are going to take Dramamine......

It is one of the best and most unique rides in all of Orlando. And fabulous........

I cannot do Simpsons, and did worry about FJ, but I was fine on it......yes, it does affect some people worse than others, but at least give it a try. You could be fine on it like many are....

Have been on it hundreds of times and never seen loads of people come off and throw up...….

The only ride I think I'll sit out right now is the Simpsons - I agree, @schumigirl, I simply wouldn't sit out FJ, unless I knew for sure i was going to puke. I've wanted to ride it since it opened.

Dramamine has the drowsiness downside, but I'll counter with caffeine.

The anti-nausea trans-derm scop patch is well worth it for Universal, to be able to enjoy rides all day without constantly feeling "iffy."

Agree with those that say not to miss FJ....and for us, Simpson’s was much worse at far as motion sickness.

I wouldn’t take Dramamine, there are lots of non drowsy anti nausea pills out there. I take Meclizine, works great. I mainly need for Hulk! Don’t need for Dueling Dragons anymore!
FJ is not to be missed!

Try Bonine instead of Dramamine--lasts longer, and no sleepy side effects.

We've been before, and are going back in a couple weeks. Motion sickness is high on my list of concerns. Everyone's different, which makes it tricky to give recommendations. For comparison, I was really sick after "Star Tours"--had my head between my knees and was wonky for the rest of the day. The rest of my family was fine. A few of us typically get motion sick (me, DD15, DS13).

I didn't do FJ on our last Universal trip (10 years ago!), because we were doing "rider swap", and the ride was too intense for any of my family to want to repeat it right away. I hope to do it this trip, along with the "swap-ee"--that would be our youngest, he's now 13 and 5'8", so I think they'll let him on.

I got sick on Jimmy Neutron (now Minions), and the Simpsons. DD(now)15 had no problems with either. OTOH, I was fine on Spiderman. I will be trying Gringott's this trip,a s well. I don't do coasters any more wild than Big Thunder, so I'll be skipping Rip, Ride, Rocket and Hulk. That's me being wimpy, though, nothing to do with motion sickness.

FJ is a great ride, but did make me sick, I spent a good amount of time in the candy shop just standing there soaking up the cold AC after riding. It's weird, no ride at disney makes me sick, but I can get sick just being a passenger in a car.

Try Bonine instead of Dramamine--lasts longer, and no sleepy side effects.

We've been before, and are going back in a couple weeks. Motion sickness is high on my list of concerns. Everyone's different, which makes it tricky to give recommendations. For comparison, I was really sick after "Star Tours"--had my head between my knees and was wonky for the rest of the day. The rest of my family was fine. A few of us typically get motion sick (me, DD15, DS13).

I didn't do FJ on our last Universal trip (10 years ago!), because we were doing "rider swap", and the ride was too intense for any of my family to want to repeat it right away. I hope to do it this trip, along with the "swap-ee"--that would be our youngest, he's now 13 and 5'8", so I think they'll let him on.

I got sick on Jimmy Neutron (now Minions), and the Simpsons. DD(now)15 had no problems with either. OTOH, I was fine on Spiderman. I will be trying Gringott's this trip,a s well. I don't do coasters any more wild than Big Thunder, so I'll be skipping Rip, Ride, Rocket and Hulk. That's me being wimpy, though, nothing to do with motion sickness.
Yes! Meclizine is the drug that’s in Bonine, but I couldn’t think of the trade name! Works great, I agree. And non drowsy.

In addition to what was mentioned..Tonight show ride was also tough for my DH. He was good for one experience each of the big HP rides. Only rides at Disney that bother him are tea cups and Avatar (sorry can’t think of name off hand) Im The one who is typically motion sick traveling but those simulators are tough to handle!

Yes! Meclizine is the drug that’s in Bonine, but I couldn’t think of the trade name! Works great, I agree. And non drowsy.

Dramamine also has a Meclizine version - it is labeled "Dramamine II, less drowsy 24 hr" DS and I plan on at least 2 days of it (plus flights) so we can enjoy the rides. CVS also carries their store brand version cheaper. Have had good luck with in on planes/cars. Yet to try on the rides. Fingers crossed!

How is Tranformers for people with motion sickness?

Transformers affects me when strangely Spider-Man has no effect whatsoever...…

I think it`s the pixels on the screen that are slightly different according to some expert or other.....but, I can also do every other ride and rollercoaster with no issues.....except Simpsons. That one is the worst.

I`ve seen a few people mention TF affects them too......

I use the Scop patch and love it. I have vertigo, so I carry some prescription Meclazine and even 1/4 dose knocks me out. So do Bonine and Dramamine. With the Scop patch, I can ride anything I want and have little to no side effects. Spinning gets to me the most, then motion simulators.

Simpson's and Mission Space still make me feel 'off'. I'll still ride Simpson's once or twice per trip (with the patch). I'll never ride Mission Space again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter