Mosquitoes at WDW

PrincessSophiasMom

Mouseketeer
Are mosquitoes ever bad at WDW? We have been numerous times and I really do not remember them ever being a problem. We are from the Gulf Coast in Texas and have a big mosquito problem at home. My little family is really immune to them. However, a couple of weeks ago we adopted a little girl and she is horribly allergic to mosquitoes. We have to keep her inside a lot and really watch where we bring her at home. We leave for WDW 9/8 to celebrate her adoption. I just don't remember if they are an issue down at WDW and if we need to make sure to bring mosquito netting for her stroller or not. Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't recall ever getting bitten at WDW. My ODD gets eaten alive in NYC but never in Orlando.

I've never been bitten at Disney, but I'm one of those people who rarely gets bitten anyway (I never wear mosquito repellant). Due to the allergy, though, I too would take precautions. Perhaps skip nighttime entertainment and keep away from water (other than swimming pools). And apply a generous coating of mosquito repellant!

In all my years of going to WDW (over 30) I have never been bitten by a mosquito. I've been stung by a bee and was bitten by some unknown critter while sitting outside my ground floor room a YC once, but that's it. Now as soon as I leave WDW and come home to Ga. I'm covered in bites. I can't even go out in our backyard after sundown because I get bit so bad.

We've never seen a mosquito at WDW... snakes are another issue. We've seen plenty which always thrill our girls.

Congratulations on the newest member of your family! I have been bitten once at WDW and I reacted badly to it, but I think it was a unique set of circumstances. I was standing on the bridge in Epcot near Mexico waiting for Illuminations when the counter service spot was under construction (that was a number of years ago), so I think it is probably related to construction. I imagine your little girl will be fine at WDW.

I've been bitten once and only once standing right near Jungle Cruise at night. I still say it was part of the theming.

I've been several times in the past few years, and have been bitten only once that I can remember. I think I was bitten outside Animal Kingdom Lodge, the resort where we stayed this past April. I only got one or two bites there. I'm the type who gets bitten a lot in general, btw.

I've been bitten by mosquitoes a few times at Disney World - at some of the deluxe resorts, at the Magic Kingdom, etc. I'd recommend being especially careful in the Ft. Wilderness area.

I've been bitten by mosquitoes a few times at Disney World - at some of the deluxe resorts, at the Magic Kingdom, etc. I'd recommend being especially careful in the Ft. Wilderness area.

Not necessarily! Have you ever stayed there? We have been going there for 45 years and have never been bitten, if fact, don't think I've ever even seen one. Disney does a great job of pest control there also!! :)

ETA: It's true, some people are just mosquito magnets. They seem to find them even if no one else can see them.

Last edited:
Not necessarily! Have you ever stayed there? We have been going there for 45 years and have never been bitten, if fact, don't think I've ever even seen one. Disney does a great job of pest control there also!! :)
I've seen lots of mosquitoes in the Ft. Wilderness campfire area on one of my visits there, although I've not stayed overnight at Ft. Wilderness. I have stayed at several deluxe resorts and have been bitten in my room by mosquitoes on a few of these stays. I suspect that the mosquitoes followed me into the rooms from outdoors. Mosquitoes are more prevalent at certain times of year, of course. September is a time when extra caution makes sense to me. It is nice that some people have never been bitten by mosquitoes at Disney at all. My experience has been different, and I thought it might be helpful input for the OP. YMMV.

Disney charges mosquitoes park admission so you wont see many in the parks. Seriously though, they have a pest control dept that does a great job at the parks and resorts but there is always a chance you may get bitten.

I have gotten bitten a few times, not sure by what though, at AKL sitting on balcony.

I'd bring the netting anyway. There are lots of things you can buy at disney at the last min, I'm not sure netting would be one of them.

I got bit a few times at CSR last year walking around outside at dusk.

I'm here now at Disney. I haven't seen any mosquitoes outside, but I've killed two in my hotel room this past week.

We've never seen a mosquito at WDW... snakes are another issue. We've seen plenty which always thrill our girls.

Snakes? I've never seen one. I heard they let them roam for mice. We just always see the little lizards. they always make us laugh.

My daughter is a mosquito magnet. She has been bitten before at MK, when everyone else is fine. This past trip, last week, she wasn't bitten once.

Also, there are CMs at 'bug stations' that offer mosquito spray.

We saw quite a few mosquitos during an OKW stay. Reported it to the front desk where a CM said they would send someone out to take care of it. Didn't notice any improvement during our few days there.

Congrats!! I've never been bitten at WDW, but my husband gets eaten alive. Definitely pack the mosquito repellent. I believe Disney should supply it for free if you ask for it (because of Zika concerns). I am pregnant, so I will definitely cover up in repellent on our trip next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!