More women on the Dis Unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no you are perfect, well practically perfect as Mary Poppins says, when you get impatient with an issue that crops up over and over, I roar with laughter because when practically perfect @SorcererHeidi has had enough, it REALLY must be enough. This forum would not begin to be the same without you. It's quite lovely here because of you.

(Has a thread ever been locked for derailing into a love fest?)

Still, this comes down to a space issue and small tweaking is easier said than done. There has been times where both Teresa and Kathy have been invited on and they can't make it because they have lives outside the podcast or illness or just any prior engagement, so it's not like it's always strictly about the rotation. Charles and Steve are both staff writers and a lot of times Pete caters the news or discussion topics around articles they write and wants them as part of the show because they are the experts on the topic being discussed and when Pete says he wants someone on, they are on the show. Pete and I have discussed ideas on how to branch out and add more voices to other shows in the future, but there is only so much we can do for the WDW Edition unless some people start quitting.

I'm just curious - I remember back when the video podcast started, there was a third seat in the production nook that would occasionally be filled by someone (Teresa, Kathy, visiting guests). Is there a reason that went away, or just something like lack of space?

Wow, so this thinly veiled racist comment will just be left standing here?
Sorry but what could possibly be viewed as racist about that comment? I'm asking sincerely. I assumed the poster was talking about a member of the team who has stated many times that he likes very simple, plain food. That obviously plays into his reviews a great deal since most restaurants don't serve bland, simple offerings.

Last edited:

One thing I would love to see from time to time if at all possible is on days that Steve is in the studio so they can't go to him in the parks is maybe go to Kathy in the parks or at one of the resorts. I know it is harder for Teresa with running the welcome center though having her in the parks from time to time would be nice.

on days that Steve is in the studio so they can't go to him in the parks is maybe go to Kathy in the parks or at one of the resorts. I know it is harder for Teresa with running the welcome center
Kathy has a full time job too. She is an agent for Dreams Unlimited. She does go to the parks a lot on her own time but it isn't what she does for a living. So having her in the parks on a Tuesday afternoon probably isn't that easy to accomplish.

Sorry but what could possibly be viewed as racist about that comment? I'm asking sincerely. I assumed the poster was talking about a member of the team who has stated many times that he likes very simple, plain food. That obviously plays into his reviews a great deal since most restaurants don't serve bland, simple offerings.

The implication is a person of color on the staff would be more used to eating seasoned food compared to the white people currently on the team.

I don't think it's racist, but I see the intent behind it.

Last edited:
I'm just curious - I remember back when the video podcast started, there was a third seat in the production nook that would occasionally be filled by someone (Teresa, Kathy, visiting guests). Is there a reason that went away, or just something like lack of space?
It's just too tight. It was too tight back then and it still is now, but back then it was a bit simpler to work with the space because there wasn't the big long counter there and we were able to get creative with the space a bit more. We just have too many computers to run the show back there.

The implication is a person of color on the staff would be more used to eating seasoned food compared to the current group of people.

I don't think it's racist, but I see the intent behind it.
Seriously? Is there really a thought that white people don't season their food? I am 53 years old and have honestly never heard that before. It certainly isn't true in our house or when we dine out. I just assumed the post was referring to Steve Porter's love of everything bland.

I just can't fathom the thinking that we should have any say in how this private group of people putting out a free podcast (or more like 5 free podcasts) should do their job, much less the type of people that they should be hiring.

I get that - but at the same time the team hasn been quite open to feedback and suggestions (small example, people had been cbetter mmenting that it was hard to hear the comments during the in-restaurant segments of the Dining Show andbthis past episode I noticed they started using an external mic - which helped a lot)

And I do think that was the tone of the original post: “hey, as a bit of feedback i think it would be great to have more female voices heard” .... the challenge often with social media (and really today’s societ in general) is people are so quick to take sides and see it as “me right, you wrong” and misinterprete things and not listen to the other side (when often both have valid points)

Seriously? Is there really a thought that white people don't season their food? I am 53 years old and have honestly never heard that before. It certainly isn't true in our house or when we dine out. I just assumed the post was referring to Steve Porter's love of everything bland.

Same here. Maybe not even just Steve's love of bland food. It seems that many (not all) of the dining review staff are guys from the east coast and are rather picky eaters. Pete hates seafood, Steve want's mac & cheese or equivalent, etc. I suppose not all East coast food is bland, but the year I lived in Williamsburg, VA I found the food very dull. Most people in my native area (Chicago suburbs) also eat bland food, but I grew up with a father who learned to cook in New Orleans! He was NOT afraid to add some seasoning to our meals. Maybe Corey would be a good addition to some of the dining reviews.

Definitely didn't consider the original comment racist - "seasoned" food is common in many cultures. Pretty sure Europeans from France, Italy, Greece, etc. all add plenty of seasoning - their descendants here do the same.

As long as I'm commenting (This is referring to an earlier poster, not the quote above) referring to the women of the DIS as "the girls" is incredibly tone-deaf. Would you refer to Pete, John, Kevin, etc. as "the boys"? Unlikely.

Honestly, I'd say "the guys". I wouldn't say "the men" anymore than I'd say "the women".
And saying "the gals" would be the equivalent. The terms "girls" and "boys" refer to juvenile, non-adults. A couple dictionary definitions of "Girl": a female child, from birth to full growth. a young, immature woman, especially formerly, an unmarried one.

"Gals" and "Guys" are both casual terms that would be appropriate for a forum discussion of this type. In a formal setting, I wouldn't use either term.

Not sure what the problem is with "the men" or "the women". Both seem to be descriptive, non-offensive terms. ie "The men on the podcast work well together and their chemistry helps to make the show interesting. When the women are on the podcast they can add a new perspective"

Not sure what the problem is with "the men" or "the women".
No problem at all with those terms. I just wouldn't speak that way. I wouldn't be that formal in this setting. That's probably partly colored by the fact that I'm a fair amount older than most of the guys on the show and I also know all but 2 of them personally so I'm comfortable being less formal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter