Monterey in June

Sunday morning we got up early for our whale watching trip. The B&B didn't start serving breakfast until 8:30, which is when we were supposed to check in for the trip. No problem, we went down early and missed the hot entree but had plenty to choose from with fresh fruit salad, various toast/jams, and yummy muffins hot from the oven. I didn't really want to eat anything greasy anyway as I knew I would be seasick later on.

We booked a trip with the Monterey Bay Whale Watching crew, and had a great trip. It lasted about 4 hours and we saw 5 different humpback whales. One in particular really put on a show, breaching and laying on his back slapping his tail over and over. DH got lots of photos and had a great time. Two tips for this adventure - dress warmly, in layers. others around us had hats/mittens and we wished we had 'em too. It was pretty darn cold until about noon when the fog finally burned off. 2nd, if you are even the slightest bit prone to motion sickness, know you will probably get seasick. I took 2 dramamine pills, wore seabands and still threw up. and it was a pretty calm day.

we stopped for a bowl of chowder along the wharf before heading back to the B&B. I took a hot bath and then a nap and felt much better! We had dinner at a restaurant in Pacific Grove called Passionfish. DH had spent a week in San Francisco early in June for training, and kept trying to find good seafood. He finally found it at Passionfish! It was interestly prepared, perfectly cooked and delicious. Portions weren't huge, nicely sized so you could have multiple courses. Best part was the wine list - instead of the traditional 100-150% markup, every bottle is $11 over retail. Yum!

We called that afternoon for reservations, and I chose an early time so we would be done before sunset. After dinner we went on the 17 mile drive. so beautiful, and DH had awesome lighting for pictures.

I can't wait to return. we enjoyed the Monterey peninsula so much, and there was a lot we didn't get to see and do.

YAY! So glad you decided to eat at Dona Esther's! It SO good! Sounds like you had a blast! We were just at the wharf last weekend for Father's day and had lunch at Benehana's. I hope you come again. Monterey is such a beautiful place and there is so much to see. Feel free to email me at any time for more suggestions! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter