Monsieur Paul's or Flying Fish for celebration? So torn. . .

OneinThree

DIS Veteran
So, I'll be surprising my wife with one of these in celebration of her 40th birthday next month. I haven't been to Monsieur Paul's since it was Bistro de Paris, but think it would be a totally romantic location. Problem is, so, so many not-so-great reviews. I understand that some of these are from people who may not "get" French cuisine, but there's no excuse for food not being hot or for a $50 steak which more resembles shoe leather. FF is great, but neither of us are overly into seafood. I'm about to change from MP to FF (we'll be in Epcot that day) just to avoid a let down on a special occasion. Has anyone been to MP recently and just loved it? Not sure what I need to do here. . .

The problem for asking for dining advice here is the wide array of peoples' tastes. For some, Applebees (et al) may be high on their list of great places to eat, where, I won't step into most chain restaurants. You'll get opposite opinions for both places you named.

But for my 2 cents worth, go for Flying Fish. But then again, since you're not much into seafood and you're looking at WDW for a special, no disappointment meal, then you're probably investing too much in food at Disney.

Hey FF has great steak to. I was there in March and I had one of the Best Wagyu Steaks I have ever had. Well worth the $80 but still, I have eaten at both restaurants, although Monsieur Pauls is fine, I still Prefer the Flying Fish. I just dont see Monsieur Paul as that great of a Dinning Experience, the food is fine, but it is no better than any French Food you might try in France or even Montreal if you know anything about the french food scene in Canada. I have had 2 many hit or misses at Monsieur Pauls for me to recommend it as a Celebration location.

I think I'd go with one of the restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin. No DDP, quieter, more romantic, better food ! Shula's for top notch steaks, Bluezoo for fabulous seafood and Il Mulino for Italian fare.

Great idea. I think Flying Fish is good but overpriced even for Disney. I can't imagine an in-park restaurant being romantic at all.

We've been to MP four times and FF once. MP has always been outstanding. FF was really disappointing - mediocre food and terrible service. I wouldn't call FF "romantic" either. MP is tucked away and you won't see a lot of families up there. My vote would be for MP.

I have been to MP when it was Bistro - it was amazing (but that was YEARS ago). FF we went once, New Years Eve. It was the second worst meal I've ever had at Disney. That being said, I think they were understaffed, or accepted too many reservations, or not sure what. I ordered the potato crusted fish; after waiting 2 hours since sitting down, entrees came out and my food was ice cold. BLECH.

I hadn't thought of the Swan and Dolphin, but agree, if you're paying those prices, I'd definitely go with Shula's or the seafood place there. My kids always loved Kimono's when we've stayed there (my oldest was born in Hawaii, my husband is Korean, so he basically loves sushi).

Either way, happy birthday to your wife! She is a lucky lady to have your being so thoughtful for her birthday!

I know you didn’t ask but what about CG or Yatchmans? CG for romance, well not really it’s loud and chaotic with a great view, and Yatchmans for good steaks...

We have done every signature but Morimoto and MP. Next year we will try both of them. So far our have to do’s are Yatchmans and Le Cellier. We like red meat If you didn’t notice.

Last edited:
I love both restaurants and have never had a bad meal in either. It really comes down to food preference. If you like seafood, Flying Fish is for you. If you prefer French cuisine, then Monsieur Paul. MP is quieter, and a more romantic restaurant if that matters.
You really can't go wrong with either one.

I think I'd go with one of the restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin. No DDP, quieter, more romantic, better food ! Shula's for top notch steaks, Bluezoo for fabulous seafood and Il Mulino for Italian fare.

The food at the Swan & Dolphin right now is phenomenal, and we don't do dining plan so that doesn't stand in the way. TBH, it's more the fact that we'll be all the way over in Epcot until dinner, with the Swan & Dolphin on the opposite end. I can't remember if the Friendship launches run over there from IG?

Either way, happy birthday to your wife! She is a lucky lady to have your being so thoughtful for her birthday!

Thank you!

I know you didn’t ask but what about CG or Yatchmans? CG for romance, well not really it’s loud and chaotic with a great view, and Yatchmans for good steaks...

We have done every signature but Morimoto and MP. Next year we will try both of them. So far our have to do’s are Yatchmans and Le Cellier. We like red meat If you didn’t notice.

Love CG, but it's on the other side of the "World", and open reservations are sparse for May right now. We did Yachtsman for our anniversary, but it would definitely be convenient, and I agree -the steaks there are great.

I appreciate all the input. As of right now, I think I'm favoring FF but strongly considering either Il Mulino or Shula's. She happens to be a Miami Dolphins fan, so she might appreciate the decor as much as the food there!

If you enjoy Italian food, Il Mulino is awesome.
Have not tried Shulas, will be at Blue Zoo this fall, so can't comment on either.
There is a launch from IG to Yacht and Beach and Swan and Dolphin.

MP would be my choice. I have no idea what those bad reviews are about...honestly...it's likely those folks don't care for French food. And that is fine. I have had dozens of meals there in the past few years and they have all been exceptional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter