• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monorail/Boat?

lajones81

<font color=royalblue>DISneyLVR<br><font color=mag
Hi, all!
I'm new to the DIS boards and was hoping you could help. My friend and I are going to Disney for Spring Break. :sunny: She hasn't been there since she was a little kid (we are 24 now!) and I wanted to show her the monorail, boat, etc. We are staying at the ASM resort, but have no problem going anywhere to experience the monorail, boat, etc. Any ideas? Thanks for all of your help! :jumping1:

Lisa
:earsgirl:

Hi Lisa,

First of all, welcome to DIS! If I were you, I would ask both the people on the Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies Board and the people on the Transportation Board. They would all be able to give you some suggestions. Sorry I'm not much help.

Ali

I like taking the boat to Magic Kingdom and the express monorail back to the TTC (parking lot) after we leave the park. I find the boat make the journey to Magic Kingdom more special to me...I hope this helps...

Here's what we do -- if it is the first couple of ventures into the park, take the monorail. If you've gone in and out a time or two and are feeling more relaxed, take the boat. We took the boat in one morning and were the only morons... er, I mean people, on the boat. It was cold. It was windy. It was raining. However, we got TONS of cute stickers because we were the only morons on the boat!!!! :-)

Honestly, feel it. You'll know how things are going with time. At first, it makes sense to be a bit frantic and make sure you hit the high points for you, whatever they are depending on your idea of what the Magic Kingdom should be. But once you've done those, you should be able to be a little more free and easy going. THEN, take chances. Those are the times when you will likely be surprised and find those special magical moments.

You can plan every moment, and have it go well. But when you let your guard down and find that things go better than you expected, you'll find the real magic of Disney.

Past that, don't drink too much in Epcot. We saw a couple of really nice kids who overdid it. Yeah, many of us do it, but that's a h*lluva place to waste that kind of time and money.

From MK: Take the boat to Polynesian. (Optional: stop at one of the poolside or other bars and have a refreshing tropical cocktail.) Walk to TTC (an easy walk, and Polynesian is a nice resort to walk through and see). Ride Monorail around Bay Lake back to TTC. Change monorails and take Monorail to Epcot. For monorails, they used to allow a couple of passengers to ride in the nose (where the driver is). If they still do, it is worth asking for.

Ooo! More suggestions! Again, thanks for everyone's help! :) I'm getting so excited that I almost can't handle it! :)

Hi,

Definitely do as others have suggested. Ask to ride in the front of the monorail. Get off at the hotels and look around. Use the ferry. I like to do things outside of the parks almost as much as I do inside the parks. I don't know how much time you have, and how important it is to you to be in the parks, but there is a lot more to do. Ride the smaller resort boats to see Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon; get off and visit the resorts. Do the same at the Epcot area and Downtown Disney resorts. You can also rent boats at these locations. There are other activities as well; jet skis, parasiling, canoeing at Fort Wilderness, etc.

Thanks for all of your help, again! I am SO excited it's unreal! :)

lajones81 said:
Hi, all!
I'm new to the DIS boards and was hoping you could help. My friend and I are going to Disney for Spring Break. :sunny: She hasn't been there since she was a little kid (we are 24 now!) and I wanted to show her the monorail, boat, etc. We are staying at the ASM resort, but have no problem going anywhere to experience the monorail, boat, etc. Any ideas? Thanks for all of your help! :jumping1:

Lisa
:earsgirl:

The monorail and resort boat rides are my personal favorites. Plan a trip around these activities. You can combine a trip to MK, and dinner at one of the monorail resorts (California Grill, Chef Mickey's, O'hana...) Use the different modes of transportation to get from place to place, and just ride around for an hour (or two, or more!). Hop off from time to time and show her the resorts - walk the grounds. You can get to each resort by monorail, and the resort boats go between MK, the Grand Floridian and Poly. There is also another boat which travels between MK and Wilderness Lodge. So you can see 4 resorts, the MK, and have a choice of several great restaurants all in one travel area.

It is so relaxing. I did this one day and it was so much fun. There was no rush to get anywhere so I sat back and took in the scenery, riding between the resorts and the park. Everyone should do this at least once, especially on the boats.

Yes, I agree that the monorail and boat are relaxing. I've got my schedule set because I leave in 11 days! Yes! :)

Hi there & welcome to the forum! If you really wanna show your friend the monorail, get there early & ask if you can sit up in the front w/the conductor. Not only will they let you do that, they'll give you a nifty "Co-pilot license". I still have mine from the last time I went in '01. Also one day the two of you could try "resort hopping", where you check out all the hotels & walk around. I personally liked the monorail better than the boat, 'cause you don't get cold, & it's not as windy. Have fun though, I'm jealous! :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter