Money Saving Tips while on Vacation

antnee

Chasing Amy
Okay we are planning our annual pilgramage to WDW in December and we need to some ideas on how to save money on things at WDW. We know that we can eat lunch late and get lunch size portions for dinner but how about some low priced restaurants. We will save because we are DVC members and will have a kitchen for 2 out of 3 meals. But we need ideas on park tickets(AP's a possibility) and saving money on souvenirs and drinks. Where are the best Discounts on/off Disney property (we will be driving).

Any suggestions?

Do you have an Orlando Magic Card? AAA? Those cards will get you a discount on meals around WDW. I've read about the AP, where it will entitle you to quite a few discounts, and only one person in the group needs to have one to qualify.

Check out: ww.mousesavers.com, that website will have all sorts of discounts listed. Also, just outside the park there are numerous inexpensive eateries, but I have heard the traffic can be a bear.

I'm sure someone else will have more info.!

Take care,
Annemarie

Less than 22 days to go!!:bounce: :bounce:

We ate what I would call three cheap meals in Orlando, they were as follows--Pizza Hut Delivery, always popular with the kids, can use your own sodas and swim til it comes.., we ate at the fast food restaurant in Poly, they had serious air, free refills, and disney channel, this was a great break from the park(we also swam but thats a moral delima I'll leave to you, the third we printed two $10 off coupons from Planet Hollywood, we split up when we got there
into three parties of two(six of us total), we collectively got $30 off this place, the food was the best I ate anywhere, beware there are crowds, my wife is disabled, we got to take elevator and for some reason they handed us seating tickets when we got off the elevator, so you might want to make a reservation. I'm sure others will have other discounts...

My family shares meals at the sit down restaurants. We enjoy the break in the air conditioning. We have always found that we get plenty to eat even when sharing.My DS is 16 and DD is 12, and they agree that they always have plenty even when sharing a meal. We also agree that we only order water at meal times. We bring our own water bottles into the parks and mix a little powdered lemonade or ice tea mix into them. This saves us alot. We leave tomorrow AM for Orlando. YEA!

As far as saving money, you will be at a really great advantage since you have access to a car and thus able to get to many offsite places.

There are many different kinds of restaurants in the surrounding area that you can get an economical breakfast, lunch, or dinner such as Ponderosa, Golden Corral, Shoney's, and Sizzler to name a few. Most of which offer buffet style all you can eat meals with varied menus.

Also, there are numerous gift shops that you will undoubtedly pass as you're driving to pick up a couple of great souvenirs at reduced or lower prices than you are likely to encounter in the parks. It might also be a great idea to swing by either Publix or Super Walmart to buy a couple of snacks/drinks and having breakfast in room can help to cut down on expenses.

When you visit the parks during the day, pack a couple of treats to munch on while walking around also bringing along some water bottles can help to curb the constant need to buy sodas all day.

Also, be sure and pick up some off the tourist magazines located inside the bins right outside of most shopping areas because they are loaded with coupons for many great places to eat and pretty much an exhaustive listing of shops next door to WDW.

Hope this helps; have a great time!

1. Do your souvie shopping at the outlets:

Orlando Premium Outlet: FRom Downtown Disney Area turn onto Hotel Plaza (blvd I thnk) towards the Croscroads shopping center). Turn RIGHT onto 535 (at the Crossroads center). Go under I4 and turn LEFT at the first light--Vineland. Follow Vineland until you reach the outlets.

Lake Buena Vista Outlets (two stores): FRom Downtown Disney Area turn onto Hotel Plaza (blvd I thnk) towards the Croscroads shopping center). Turn RIGHT onto 535 (at the Crossroads center). Follow 535 until you see the outlets (on your left)

Belz (two) Follow signs to International Drive from the Orlando Outlets OR take I 4 to International Drive. These outlets are at the end of Intl. Drive.

2. Drink water instead of soda with meals.

3. Drink water whenever possible--it is free at all of the parks.

There will be a LOT of 100th birthday merchandise available to purchase - so it might be wise to establish a souvenir budget ahead of time, which you will not exceed! As a DVC member - you'll save 10% when you shop at many of the Downtown Disney stores. Personally, my favorite souvenirs are the photos I take, and they'll last far longer than some light-up doodad you purchase at the parks! ;)

I'm a real cheapskate when it comes food, so I will NOT buy pop unless it's included in the price of a meal. The only exception is when the beverage comes in a souvenir mug, and I want the mug! (I got an AK mug at Pizzafari - filled with Jolt!) As others have said, bring your own water bottles into the park and refill. If you don't like the taste of FL water, buy Brita water bottles that have a built-in filter.

AP's can make good economic sense - depending on how long you'll stay this year, and especially if you plan to return within one year. I finally broke down and bought an AP in April, and I'm glad I did. With an AP - I don't feel guilty about spending only a few hours in a park each day - as opposed to using a day on a park hopper.

Enjoy planning your trip, antnee!

If anyone in your party must have coke or whatever soda, a mug is definitely worth it. Also, we picked up a cheap styrofoam cooler and drinks at a store off-property, which worked well.

As far as souvenirs...if you have DC, and I think AmEx does it too (not sure about DVC), you can get 10% off purchases from World of Disney and other stores in DD. Sometimes they have the same merchandise as the parks, so we usually go there first, before buying things in the parks.

My first trip to WDW I bought tons of souvenirs. Second trip I bought some, mainly because it was the 25th Anniversary, and I got the special commemorative things. Most of them are now collecting dust, and I don't appreciate them as much as I should. So what did I do on my third trip? Before I bought something big and unpractical, I would ask myself, "is this going to sit there collecting dust?" And before I bought a t-shirt I would ask, "do I really need another t-shirt?" I limit myself to just 1 or 2 shirts per trip (unless I find an excellent deal...found $6 t-shirts at AK!!). As far as expensive things go, if they have a lot and you can return to the store later, sleep on it. If you still want it the next day (or whenver you return), then go back and consider making the purchase.

I also love to collect things, but decided on smaller (and cheaper) things like pins and pressed pennies (I used to collect shot glasses...dust collectors!). Now they have those neat pressed penny books, and they're relatively cheap souvenirs. For my pins, when I get home, I pin them all on a piece of felt.

I have one friend who travelled to WDW with us, and although she could have afforded to shop well, she doesn't buy ANYTHING unless it's on sale!! That might be a little harsh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter