• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mom & Tot's Southern California Blast - Planning

Lagoongirl

Earning My Ears
Disneyland Trip Report

September 9-17, 2005
PLANNING THE TRIP
Trip Characters
- (Mareva) 41, Mom, 4th trip to DL
-(Kylie) 5, daughter, 1st trip to DL
My husband is allergic to amusement parks and spending money so we have opted over the years for me to take each of our kids individually. That way he doesn’t have to endure the rides and see how much the bills come to (until after the fact), and I don’t have to have a slew of kids to be responsible for by myself.

I have 4 daughters. I took my oldest (now 16) to WDW in 1992 when she was 3. I took my second daughter (now 14) to WDW in 1995 when she was 4. I took them both to WDW in 2000 when they were 11 and 9. I took my third daughter (now 7) to WDW in 2002 when she was 5. My youngest daughter is now five and its time for her turn.

I have always taken my older daughters to WDW in the past, and this is the first time I have opted for DLR. There are a couple of reasons for this. When my two older girls were younger we lived in Nebraska so WDW or DL was about equidistance away. We moved to Salt Lake City in 1998, but the last two trips I’ve taken were still WDW. I liked how WDW had more than one park (at the time) and I also liked how close Universal and Sea World were. Everything was right there where I needed it. When I took my third daughter in 2002, I decided a few things that have swayed my decision against WDW and for DL. First off, the opening of DCA. A lot of the same attractions in WDW were now available in DLR. The biggest influence though was how hard it was for my third daughter to get used to the time change. Like I said, we had moved to SLC in 1998 and there was a two hour time difference. When the parks were opening at nine, it was 7AM in SLC and you should arrive at the parks an hour before opening so to her body we were up at 5:30 a.m. and riding rides before she was usually even out of bed!!! We were there for a week and my poor little girl had the hardest time adjusting to the time difference. It made it really hard for her to enjoy herself for the first few hours in the parks. Another influence was the amount of time that it took to fly to Florida (with a stop over) as compared to the couple of hours that it would now take to fly from SLC to California. It would take two whole days vacation time to get to Florida and back while to fly to California would take a couple of hours on a couple of days.

When I took my two older daughters in 2000 they were in year round school and were on break from school in November. That was when I discovered the benefits of going in the off season. Our school schedule has now gone back to traditional, but since my daughter will only be in kindergarten, taking her out for a week is no big deal and the benefits of going in the off season are too great to pass up.
I started planning for the trip in January of 2005. My husband thinks I’m anal about planning the trip and it was beyond him why it was taking so much time. He’s one that wants to just go there and do whatever and sleep in and not worry about whether we see everything or not. I am a mother of 6 (two older boys (their mother is deceased so I have raised them) from my husband’s first marriage and my four daughters. Having a brood like that doesn’t give me the leisure to waste time and I don’t like doing it. I’m used to planning out my day to get the most done. I’m the first to admit that I am very obsessed with doing it right (by my definition) and I’m actually very glad that my husband doesn’t want to go as I know there would be conflict. I’d be disappointed knowing that I didn’t have time to do what I wanted to do because he wanted to sleep in or something. Now before you go thinking I’m this controlling commando, I do want to emphasize that I am flexible too. Being a mother of six not only requires organization, but flexibility as well. There are just certain things at DLR that you should always do and the most important one is to get to the parks early. My husband would make us get there by about 11 o’clock every morning so that is my main reason why I am glad he doesn’t come. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great guy, but as much as I like to be in control (and I admit it!!) he’s even more so. (He gives me plenty of practice not being in control. These trips where I am in control feel REALLY good.) I’m also the only one willing to research vacations. Because I do this I am more aware than he is of ways to make the most of time and he’s not one to quietly go with someone else’s plan. He’s the type that asks me to research something (whether it be a vacation or something else) and then tries to run the show and ignore anything I say I’ve discovered through research. But hey, I love the guy, and he’s footing the bill and taking care of the other kids so no one’s complaining (just counting my blessings that he’s not coming!).
To me California is not the place to sit back and relax unless you’ve got two to three weeks there. I’m not one that sees any value in spending a huge amount of money to go somewhere and end up doing things that you can do at home. I don’t like to waste a lot of time eating or sleeping and the budget is of the essence so unless a meal has some entertainment value, I choose not to waste time and money on it. So I’m not a big food/restaurant person, and I’m not a big fan of the suggested idea to take a break in the middle of the day. I know that is stressed to the hilt in most guidebooks, but let me explain my reasoning.
First off, the parks are not open as long during the off season so you lose hours that you would normally have at other peak times.
Second, it is just the two of us. When you have a big group to keep track of and pace with, it is more tiring to do so. I will bring a stroller from home so she won’t have much walking to do, so it will be just me doing all the walking.
Third, because it is just the two of us, we won’t be doing many late evening activities. I will be taking her back to the hotel most nights for a quick swim and off to bed early.
Also, to me it is a pain to spend so much time with the transportation stuff. When you leave midday, you spend a lot of valuable time standing in line waiting for trams and going to/from your car, parking, etc (if you rent a car). Maneuvering through traffic and trying to find your way around in an unfamiliar place just gives me a big crick in the neck.
The reason I think guidebooks emphasize the breaks is to reduce stress. Well, those above things are the things that are stressful to me and when I’m stressed, Kylie will be more likely to be stressed. So there is my reasoning behind not taking the mid day break. There is logic to not doing the break under certain circumstances too, so there!!!
AIRLINES, HOTEL, AND CAR RENTAL
My husband does quite a bit of traveling for his work and so he has frequent flyer miles to trade in for tickets. For this trip we ended up using Delta to San Diego (we wanted to fit in Sea World and the Zoo) and returning from Orange County.
He also has frequent hotel stay points so that did limit us on where we stayed, but having the opportunity to have 7 free nights in a hotel makes up for any wish or desire I might have to be on Disney property. We booked the Hampton Inn by Sea World for 3 nights and the Hampton in by Knott’s Berry Farm for the remaining five nights. We will only have to pay for one night’s lodging. Renting a car was a must since I was spending some time in San Diego and driving up to Anaheim. Since it was only the two of us and you spend so little time in your car I got the cheapest thing I could find. When I’ve made car rental reservations in the past I’ve found that in checking the internet frequently I kept finding lower and lower rates so I ended up canceling and rebooking several times. What I found so far is a weekly rate of $159 and an average of $26 a day for eight days. San Diego does not have rental car agencies located at the airport and my only concern was managing all our luggage and a little girl to the shuttle pick up locations. I wasn’t real excited to fuss with off site shuttles when I was the only adult to haul our luggage and have a little girl to watch and care for. But San Diego left no choice so I’ll just to the best I can.
PLANNING THE ITINERARY
The last time I was at DL was in 1993 and before that it was twice when I was a child. Even though DL is very similar to MK in layout, I bought several guides and familiarized myself with layouts. I found the internet to be a valuable help as there were several web sites that gave great information.
I took into consideration what I thought Kylie would be most interested in doing and seeing. With children that age it is a guessing game on what will scare them. We have an amusement park five minutes from our house that we get season passes to every year so she is used to rides, but most of the big coasters at our park have height restrictions that are higher than Disney’s so I’m not sure how she’ll take to rides like Space Mountain. When I took Rachel two years ago she baffled me many times. Things I thought she would be okay with she wasn’t and things that I thought would scare her didn’t. I’ve decided to just go with the flow, but try to encourage her to ride the bigger rides since I’m the only adult and won’t get to ride them if she doesn’t come with me. We sent for a Disneyland Souvenir DVD and watched it together. I talked with her about it and got a feel for what was most important for her to see then used whatever time was left to fill it with things I wanted to see. The biggest bummer of the whole planning part of it was discovering that HM would be closed during our visit. That is my absolutely, positively favorite Disney attraction!!! I almost decided to go in November instead of Septemper, but because I want to spend some time at the beach, I wanted warmer weather. So no HM this trip!! 
I put together a daily budget based on our activities each day. The budget totals $1310. That sounds like a deal for 8 days (remember I have no hotel or airline costs). Our hotels had complimentary breakfasts and I carefully chose a few sit down restaurants for dinners throughout the week. The rest of the meals were eaten in the park or fast food fare outside of the park on those nights when the parks closed early. We’ll see if I actually stick within the budget!! I’m going to get a city pass that includes Sea World, the Zoo, 3 day park hoppers to DLR and Knott’s Berry Farm about 3 months before the trip at citypass.com. This will end up saving me about $123. This seemed like a pretty good deal to me and averaged out to be about $52 a day (excluding Lego Land) for both of us for park admission.
Here is the plan that I came up with:
Friday, September 9 - Travel day (Budget $39 for one meal and one day rental car)
Saturday, September 10 – San Diego Zoo, Swimming at hotel (Budget $151 for admission, upgraded admission (zoo bus pass) meals, souvenir and rental car)
Sunday, September 11 – Sea World, La Jolla Cove and Caves and beach (I wonder if 9/11 will have an impact on attendance?) (Budget $146 for admission, meals, rental car, parking, souvenirs)
Monday, September 12 – Lego Land, Drive to Anaheim (Budget $177 for admission, meals, souvenir, rental car, and laundry expenses)
Tuesday, September 13 – DL, Swim at hotel (Budget $126 for admission, meals, parking, and rental car)
Wednesday, September 14 – Knott’s Berry Farm, Dinner at Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Restaurant (Budget $146 for admission, meals, souvenirs, parking, and rental car)
Thursday, September 15 – DCA, DD, Dinner at Rainforest Café (Budget $181 for admission, meals, souvenirs, parking, and rental car)
Friday, September 16 – DL, (parks will close late so will spend the evening watching parade and Fantasmic) (Budget $221 for hotel, admission, meals, parking, and rental car)
Saturday, September 17 – Character Breakfast at Goofy’s Kitchen, Movieland Wax Museum and Newport Beach. Travel home in the evening. (Budget $142 for admission, meals, gasoline, parking, and rental car.)

fire616 said:
Great planning.

Can you tell me where you got the Disneyland Souvenir DVD from????
Thanks
I got the DVD over the internet at MouseShoppe. I did an internet search for "Disneyland Travel DVD Guide" and went from there. The name of the DVD is "Disneyland Souvenir Video Guide". It lasts about 50 minutes and gives you a quick tour of all the "lands" and DCA as well as the hotels and DTD. It was helpful because it showed many of the rides as if you were on them so my daughter could get an idea of what it would be like.

Lagoongirl - I felt like I could have written your travel philosophy. Right down to the DH who doesn't like theme parks. Your plans sound great and if you need any help from a like-minded planner, please do not hesitate to ask.

How do you know what the hours are going to be, and that HM will be closed? I didn't think they posted those things until about four months out? We're looking at September or October, so I'm anxious to find these things out, too.

I'm not positive on the hours. I just looked at what the hours were going to be in early May and figured they would be similar, as well as a few trip reports I've read from people who have gone in the fall. As for the HM rehab, I read in a guidebook that they close it every September and January to prepare it for Halloween/Christmas (they do the Nightmare Before Christmas theme). I went to RideRefurbs.com and that information was confirmed. They have a listing on there that goes a few months in advance but I think they know about HM only because it is an annual thing.

Thanks Tink! So glad there's someone out there like me!!! I worry how I come across sometimes!! Thanks for the offer of help!

Is traffic really as terrible as everyone makes it sound in LA. I'm driving up from San Diego around rush hour time one night while I'm there. Is it going to take us hours and hours???

Your daughters are lucky to have such an attentive and loving mother! If the thought of driving to Orange County from San Diego stresses you, consider taking the train. The trip from San Diego to Anaheim is very pretty and a good part of the trip is along the coast.

Yes, you will hit very bad traffic. I would say about a 2 hour drive. Maybe more. But as long as you are prepared and have things in the car to keep Kylie entertained, it should be okay. Plus, once you get out of San Diego, past Oceanside, and start driving through Camp Pendleton, the drive is very pretty. You can see the ocean from the freeway (on your left) for many miles and there is only one offramp for 22 miles, so folks drive pretty fast (80 mph is common) and you flow quite well if you know what I mean. Then you hit San Clemente and San Juan Cap (wave to me, I am on the left off of Ortega Highway!) and around Mission Viejo, you will start slowing down again and the traffic will be slow until DL (about 20 miles). Whew, sorry to give you such a longwinded opinion ;-) You sound like you have already put so much time and effort into your vacation. It sounds wonderful. Now if the next six months could fly by, right?

LukenDC said:
Your daughters are lucky to have such an attentive and loving mother! If the thought of driving to Orange County from San Diego stresses you, consider taking the train. The trip from San Diego to Anaheim is very pretty and a good part of the trip is along the coast.

Wow!! Thank you for the compliment!!! I think driving from San Diego to Anaheim will be okay. It's when I get off the freeways and into city driving that I get a little nervous. But I want to have a car so I can be in control. I'm a control freak!!! :)

lulubelle said:
Yes, you will hit very bad traffic. I would say about a 2 hour drive. Maybe more. But as long as you are prepared and have things in the car to keep Kylie entertained, it should be okay. Plus, once you get out of San Diego, past Oceanside, and start driving through Camp Pendleton, the drive is very pretty. You can see the ocean from the freeway (on your left) for many miles and there is only one offramp for 22 miles, so folks drive pretty fast (80 mph is common) and you flow quite well if you know what I mean. Then you hit San Clemente and San Juan Cap (wave to me, I am on the left off of Ortega Highway!) and around Mission Viejo, you will start slowing down again and the traffic will be slow until DL (about 20 miles). Whew, sorry to give you such a longwinded opinion ;-) You sound like you have already put so much time and effort into your vacation. It sounds wonderful. Now if the next six months could fly by, right?

How's the weather treating you down there? I hope you're not getting too soaked!!!

Thanks for the info, and I will be sure to wave!!! As long as I know what to expect, I'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter