• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mom of recently enlisted son....new to ALL of this...needs HELP!

bobbijo8

Earning My Ears
Hello, my name is Bobbi Jo and I am brand new to DIS boards. We (my son, his girlfriend & I) just returned home from a "magical" 17 day vacation at the BC Villas in WDW where I met a fellow DVC member who told me about this site. My only child, Robert (18 years old), recently enlisted in the US Army with a delayed-entry date of Sept. 14th. Then, he will be heading to Fort Benning, Georgia for boot-camp (He wants to be an Army Ranger). I know NOTHING about the military life or what to expect. However, I DO know that I am extremely PROUD of him for making this decision, especially since college was an option for him. But, I am having a very difficult time adjusting to all of this....so, I will gladly accept any advise/support from fellow Disney lovers. And, I look forward to making new friends, too.
Thank you!:earsboy: :sad: :earsgirl:

I was in your shoes last year when my oldest DS joined the Army. There are a lot of us here so ask anything you need to know!! Tell your DS how proud we are of him!! Oh and I almost forgot, Welcome to the DIS, there is not a nicer group of people on the internet!!!

Raejean

Hi Bobbie!

My name is Robin and I am married to a SFC in the army. In fact, 3 years ago he was a drill instructor in Ft. Benning Ga. We are now stationed in NY.
I was already married to my husband when he entered the military, so I know how it feels to be a "newbie" to this lifestyle.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer if I can.
Your son should be proud of himself, as I know you are proud of him too.:sunny:

Hi...well from one mother to another, all I can say is hang in there. My daughter joined back in 2000. It was very hard and very emotional when she left for basic. It's hard when your oldest needs to leave the nest. As much as we think were prepared, or maybe even ready to have them leave, we're not. Here is what I did. The day after she left, I started writing letters and numbered them. When they get to base they will be at "reception" area for about a week, so you may get a phone call or two, but you cannot send any mail until they get their own room. So everyday I wrote to her and when I finally got her mailing address, I started mailing her letters one by one, this way she constantly had mail from home. It gets easier, but you will always miss having them around. She was dischared from the army in September of last year and was just called back up to active duty, she is gone again and in Colorado for three years.

So hang in there you have these boards and all these wonderful people to help you.

Take care
Denise :D

If you're interested in joining an e-mail support group, there is an AWESOME one on Yahoo just for people with loved ones at Fort Benning. DH went through Benning last fall and the group was awesome (I'm still on it). Most of the group are moms w/sons there. It is a bit talkative (digest or no-mail/reading from the web is great if you get overwhelmed) but they are a VERY caring & knowledgeable group of ladies.

Fort Benning Yahoo! Group

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter