Mom and daughter trip in Aug dd in wheelchair a couple of questions

jusus3

Earning My Ears
Hi. On Aug 14, my dd and I are leaving for a mom and dd trip. DD is 7, has cerbral palsey and in a wheelchair. Im pretty familiar with alot because dh(whom also uses a wheelchair) were there in Sept but stll have a few questions that im hoping someone on these great boards can help me with. We're staying in Allstar Movies,handicapped room, roll in shower ect. One qestion I have if anyone knows where the handicapped rooms are located or are they scattered through out the buildings? Also I heard that they allready have a fridge in the room, was wondering if that is correct. Also I was thinking of taking her to Blizzard Beach because I heard that the lifts to the slides are accessable,has anyone tried this? and Finnaly was wondering how Disney Quest was as far as accessablity? I thank you in advance for any help. Although I cant wait to go im still a little nervbous about this trip because it is the first time im traveling alone with her, or where im the only adult. But im sure we'll do fine. Thank you again

Welcome. I know you will have a good time. I haven't taken a whole trip by myself with DD who uses a wheelchair, but I did go one year a day earlier with her than the rest of the family. We also usually split up our party for at least part of a day, so I or my older DD is alone with younger DD.
I have not been to All Star movies, so I don't have any personal experience, but I have read that the fully accessible rooms are scattered thru the resort and that the handicapped rooms with king beds have built in refrigerators. Hopefully, someone can give you a for sure answer, but you might also want to call WDW RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS
(407) 939-7807 [voice]
(407) 939-7670 [TTY].
There was a recent question about Disney Quest accessibility. Click here for a link to it.
My biggest hint is to not try to do too much. Even if you are used to lifting and helping her transfer, it's more tiring to do it at WDW because you are doing it in places that are not always set up the way that is best for you. Ride as many things as possible that don't require a transfer and spread out the ones where she needs to get out of her wheelchair so you don't both get worn out.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it so much. I think you are write about the transferring. Last Sept I had to transfer her alot so my dh (whom is paralized and cannot transfer) could use the wheelchair car on a ride. This year she has grown and although i will transfer her if I have to, the less i do is probably the best. So I think Blizzard beach is out for now. Like I said im a little nervous but im sure it will be great. She is being mainstreemed to public school in the fall and I think this will be a great way to kind of celebrate that and have some mom and dd time as well. Thank you again

Hi jusus3

I have 2 kids in wheelchairs and during our last Nov/Dec trip the oldest one then 10 went to both the Pirates Cruise and Wonderland Tea Party and the staff was wonderful. When I made the PS for the cruise I asked if it was wheelchair accessible and they said yes, but you know your idea of wheelchair accessible is never the same as someone who lives with a wheelchair users. The ramp to the pontoon is ok but the opening is too small for a chair to fit in. No problem they lifted her up and over and then the chair. Keep in mind at 10 she was 80 pounds so no lightweight to lift. I told Drew she could crawl on and off but he said no way he would lift her.

So if you think those two activities would be fun for you DD and wondered if they were accessible for a child in a chair your answer is YES!

Thank you sooo much!I know she would enjoy the teaparty but didnt think she would be able to do it because of accessablity issues. Im so happy to know that they are. Thank you again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!