Mom 1st trip to WDW and scooter

MinnieVanMom

DIS Veteran
Mom agreed to come to WDW with us this last trip:) It went very well because we had rented a scooter and went bad because of the scooter.

She had a terrible time walking just in the airport at SLC, then in Denver we stopped several times to let her rest, finally in MCO she stopped and said "somethings wrong". She is tough and strong willed but finally knew that she would have to have a scooter.

I met the driver from Randy's at our hotel and was glad to have the scooter review. I would not have known about the neutral button in back or the glowing light to confirm the charging.

Our first day we went to MK on Sat and it was crowded. She crashed into curbs, posts, people, lurched forward and back. We kept putting her speed on low and she kept putting it up. Although she got a bit better during the next day, it never really was great.

I think I should have pushed her in a chair. To ride a scooter the driver must be able to make good choices and know how to have safe judgement.

The good news is that within 48 hours of her return she was in the dr's office. Mom never goes to a dr so this is big. She is getting an angiogram next Friday.

We were very happy with Randy's rental but sad at Mom's in ability to drive as safe as I felt was needed.

I am sorry to hear that it was difficult for your mom to drive a scooter. It does require a great deal of mental stamina, quick reflexes, and patience.

Sometimes it is easier for older people to be pushed in a wheelchair rather than use a scooter, but convincing them that losing that bit of independence, even for a week, is very difficult. There is a reason we never take my grandfather to WDW!

I hope that if your mom can go to WDW with you again, you have a better experience using a wheelchair.

:hug:I hope everything goes well next friday.

My Mom's learning curve with the scooter took longer than I thought it would but her first time was in Walmart at night. Most of my kids learned their power chairs faster, we have yet to see how long our youngest will take to be a safe driver.We are lucky because her power chair has parent controls and user controls.

When she is feeling better you can do grocery or Walmart scooters to see if her bad driving was related to her not feeling her best.Disney stimutation can also distract and people stepping/stopping in her path studdenly make for a hard driving test for new drivers without real brakes.

Good luck.I hope you had a great time even with worring about her driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter