Moderate choice for 2 adults in late January 2019

Peculiar Penguin

Earning My Ears
Long time reader, first time poster here.

We used to go to WDW every other year but got away from doing so around 10-12 years ago, so we have lots of catching up to do. I've subscribed to and read another site's weekly e-mail newsletter faithfully over this time so I am aware of these "Magic Band" things, but I'll need a primer on how Fast Passes work nowadays.

Planning on a week in late January, 2019. We've also always stayed at Value Resorts in the past, but we're at an age that we want something a bit nicer. We're looking forward to all 4 parks and hopping from one to another during a day, and hope to hit a water park if the weather and temps cooperate.

We've always preferred a car over Disney transportation -- I understand that there are now parking fees for resort guests, but we enjoy being able to leave the property for shopping or a meal, etc. or to go back to the resort to the pool (weather permitting) and go to another park in the afternoon or evening, so Park Hoppers seem to be a good idea for us.

Never done a dining plan. We'd take one if it was free, of course, but know we couldn't get any real value out of a paid plan.

No kids with us so that's not part of the formula.

We are usually early to rise and early to turn in -- we like to be there at Rope Drop and if there are early hours we will be there for that.

A bit concerned about construction noise/mess, but as long as it's quite from 10PM to 7AM or so that shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Honestly have no idea how to do this. We've been told we can call now and reserve lodging and add tickets and a dining plan later on. Is this the best way to do this? Do we need to reserve lodging now -- is there any benefit to doing so?

We are AAA members in New England. I've read I should buy our tickets through them, is this correct?

I hope you can help me, I hope I can be helped! Thanks!

I think that you will get different answers on the resort choice. We have stayed at Coronado and French Quarter. I would recommend the French Quarter for an adult couple. The smaller size is nice for walking around the resort.

As far as your ticket options be sure to check other companies besides AAA and make sure to know if tax is included when comparing prices. There are many other ticket sellers out there. There are also some travel agencies that offer special agency exclusive discounts on rooms (they reserve them in blocks) and have very competitive prices on rooms and tickets as well.

If you have a specific time frame and resort, it does't hurt to book early then watch for discounts or dining plans.

T

Won't hurt to go ahead and book a resort now and keep watch on the website for discounts later. If any come out, you can rebook your room with a discount.

As far as which resort, that's really a personal, subjective choice. I usually just stay in whichever one is less and have been known to change my reservations a number of times before my trip. I've found all of the moderates have something to offer, I haven't stayed at POFQ because I just don't like the look of the place and actually prefer the larger resorts since I like to get up and walk in the morning. We (my adult son and myself) don't do the waterparks so I can't speak to them, but we do spend time just about every afternoon at the pool at the hot tub and the pool bar. We only use the food courts for breakfast since we tend to eat at the parks or the other TS restaurants at the resorts.

We don't do the dining plan, it just doesn't suit our style of eating. If we eat at QS I tend to get a kid's meal because I don't eat large meals. A lot of times when we eat at TS I will get an appetizer and a salad or soup instead of an entre, we might share a dessert. We also like a refreshing adult beverage or two with a meal. Sometimes we will just snack around the work all day for meals but we don't eat snacks in between meals very often. I don't drink soft drinks, it's water or refreshing adult beverages for me.

I have an annual pass but when I buy my son's tickets I shop around, I've found usually Undercover Tourist or Parksavers have a better deal than AAA.

I'm not huge on the planning all my time during the day so I rarely book FPs any more in advance than the day of because we just don't know what park we want to go to on any given day and we always have hoppers so we can change our minds and go to a different park at any given time. I also don't book ADRs in advance, we just book them in the afternoon while we are walking around. We don't have to eat at the "must do" places and like trying new places so grabbing what is available works for us.

If you can afford it go Deluxe. In my opinion it has equaled to me less kids, less noise, beautiful resort.....quiet trails & walkways & restaurants.
Moderate and values have much busier buses but you do say you would rather drive, so that may not matter to you.

If you choose a moderate or deluxe...give the convenient free resort transportation a try at least once or twice.
You might actually see how convenient it can be.
They run every 15-20 minutes so they will have you to where your going rather quickly.
Many of these bus drivers or boat captains will even tell you some fun Disney facts on your ride. We had some quiet rides where we just take in the a/c and scenery.....and then other times where we met some really nice CM's (Cast Members) and learned what brought them to work for Disney.

The Walt Disney website will give you 3 vacations to compare side by side if you want....so you can see price, resort amenities , etc. Good Luck!

Thank you all for the help so far.

Moderate is pushing our budget so deluxe is just not an option. Booking and rebooking is something we are very familiar with.

We also like to catch lunch and dinner as the mood strikes us. We do like all the rides so fast passes will have to be read up on.

Will check out that compare spot on the Dis site.

Port Orleans French Quarter will most likely be the least expensive of the moderates, Port Orleans Riverside just a few dollars more each night.

Port Orleans French Quarter will most likely be the least expensive of the moderates, Port Orleans Riverside just a few dollars more each night.

Actually, POFQ and POR are the same price and are the most expensive of the moderates. Followed by Coronado Springs and then Caribbean Beach being the least expensive.

I would say it depends on your budget. I agree that deluxe would be the way to go if it is within the budget. The Epcot resorts are nice for waking to and from Epcot for dinners. I do agree that park hoppers are the way to go,so you aren’t stuck eat one park all day.

POFQ is my favorite moderate due to it's size. It's the smallest of all the moderates and it only has one bus stop. The other moderates have multiple bus stops and if a bus fills up before your stop then it just goes on to the park and never makes it to your stop. You can also take a boat to Disney Springs.
It only has a food court which doesn't bother us because we eat most of our meals in the parks, Disney Springs, or at other hotels.

For deluxe at Mod prices Coronado Springs generally will give the amenities, however it is currently undergoing construction. Yes, it is spread out, but it is NOT that bad really.
If the Disney Springs hotels still have FP at 60 days and EMH offer extended they would also be in consideration - especially if you sign up for mousesaver deals where often the resort or parking fees are waived.

Actually, POFQ and POR are the same price and are the most expensive of the moderates. Followed by Coronado Springs and then Caribbean Beach being the least expensive.

Caribbean will most likely be still a mess so that was excluded in my post.

Coronado- I'm not a fan at all so I may have let that one slip my memory:rolleyes2

Does anyone know when Disney releases 2019 as an option on their site? I wanted to plan a short trip next Feb and the OP wants Jan 2019 and from what I saw you can't look past Dec 31 2018

Does anyone know when Disney releases 2019 as an option on their site? I wanted to plan a short trip next Feb and the OP wants Jan 2019 and from what I saw you can't look past Dec 31 2018

Usually June-July, sometimes as late as August. You can book a room only via phone 499 days out.

When having a car I personally really liked CBR. I loved the Freestyle machines which give a variety of options other then just soda. If I was avoiding construction I would go to French Quarter. Its a great resort.

We prefer a car as well. I like Port Orleans Riverside but we only use the bus on occasion because it can be a pain at times. The quiet pools are nice, the food court is good, and the overall resort area pleasant.

May I also suggest renting DVC points. No parking fees with DVC for now. I am staying at Poly and Animal Kingdom for the same price I was going to pay to stay at a Mod. It worth looking into for your trip.

Love all the feedback, thanks!

From reading this and other sites I think a room discount makes more sense for us than a free dining plan. Are those discounts easier or harder to get than free dining?

Love all the feedback, thanks!

From reading this and other sites I think a room discount makes more sense for us than a free dining plan. Are those discounts easier or harder to get than free dining?
Free dining isn’t offered for January. But room discounts are usually easy to get. We like Port Orleans Riverside.

Have you considered the Swan or Dolphin? They offer deluxe accommodations with the price of a moderate or below. You do not get DME or the ability to do dining plan but you get extra magic hours, 60 day FP+ and transportation. The Epcot area is great for an adults only trip.

Interesting. We have SPG points and they are about to get devalued.

Any thoughts on if Swan or Dolphin is nicer?
I haven’t stayed at either of them but I do know that the transportation is better for the Swan and Dolphin than it is for a moderate resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter