Model Monorail Drive System - fast, quiet, smooth

boBQuincy

<font color=green>I am not carrying three pods<br>
The Disney model monorail is a great toy! Still, there are a few areas that could be improved, such as: speed; noise; smoothness; audio. Done!

WhisperJet belt drive doubles the speed; reduces the gear noise (no gears); runs much smoother; and now that it is quieter we may as well upgrade the audio system. The name and idea comes from Parma's belt drive slot car and WJ actually uses the motor pulley from Parma. The final reduction is about 16:1 compared to about 34:1 for the original gearbox. Increased speed of course increases motor current but it will still run for over an hour on NiMH AA cells.

Original gearbox:
original_1160591.jpg

WhisperJet Drive:
wj_1160593.jpg

WhisperJet Chassis - 3D printed:
wj_chassis_1160595.jpg

Upgraded audio, 6 messages, 2W amplifier, improved speaker:
audio_1160602.jpg

The final advantage: WhisperJet can use cylindrical beam rollers to run on prototypical rectangular beam (8 mm wide flexible vinyl molding). This is a real plus since now most of the noise comes from the beam joints.

Hi Bob--Just wanted you to know I'm still out here routing for you!:thumbsup2

Hi Bob--Just wanted you to know I'm still out here routing for you!:thumbsup2

Thanks! I temporarily shut down operations while I move but have some cool new ideas to offer next Spring when I start up again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter