Moana rumored to be replacing tiki room

Tomorrowland Speedway still seems popular, both with decent lines and as a rite of passage for parents with little kids (first “driving” a car with the parent and then the kid driving on their own).

I 100% agree they need to update it with electric carts and inductive charging at the “finish line” in order to keep up with the promise of Tomorrowland. For one, the current carts are past due for refurbishment... they can barely steer right as it is. For two, that’s a heck of a lot of gassing up a bunch of carbureted four-stroke engines with no emissions controls that is entirely unnecessary in 2019.
You think those are 4-stroke engines? I assumed the were 2-stroke.

I'm glad Disney is getting active too...you have to swat flies.
Sorry, I disagree. Tom has gotten a lot more "right" with rumors in recent years than he's gotten wrong. The story was from an established source that apparently has a good enough track record with information to make it worth the risk of passing it along. I think Tom is largely "fighting the good fight" with regard to calling balls and strikes with the way that Disney parks are being run. The guy honestly cares. My son spent about two years there working recently as a full-time CM as a stage tech and based on what he saw and experienced first-hand, he agrees with many of concerns that Coreless has mentioned about how the parks are run and the direction they are headed.

With regard to the Tiki story, Disney's response seems very carefully worded. It's not a "denial" by any stretch. As I read it, the only thing that WDW is saying for sure is that they aren't going to gut the attraction completely.

Sorry, I disagree. Tom has gotten a lot more "right" with rumors in recent years than he's gotten wrong. The story was from an established source that apparently has a good enough track record with information to make it worth the risk of passing it along. I think Tom is largely "fighting the good fight" with regard to calling balls and strikes with the way that Disney parks are being run. The guy honestly cares. My son spent about two years there working recently as a full-time CM as a stage tech and based on what he saw and experienced first-hand, he agrees with many of concerns that Coreless has mentioned about how the parks are run and the direction they are headed.

With regard to the Tiki story, Disney's response seems very carefully worded. It's not a "denial" by any stretch. As I read it, the only thing that WDW is saying for sure is that they aren't going to gut the attraction completely.

After watching the response, I think he stated his position very well (including how their site performs). I don't know of anyone other than himself, his claimed source and Disney know all the facts. So, just like I give to other WDW fan sites, the benefit of the doubt. I guess I don't see it as "Us" vs. "Them".

I'm still hoping for an electric conversion for the cars! I thought a Sugar Rush theme from Wreck-It Ralph would have been cute...

Last edited:
He never actually denied the rumor of Moana coming to the tiki room.
"Although we won’t address every rumor, we want to set the record straight: there are no plans for our feathered friends to fly the coop any time soon. We’re constantly evolving our stories, but these birds will continue entertaining our guests at the Magic Kingdom Park just as they have done since 1971. "

All he said was that the birds are not being removed. The Moana overlay like they did with Zazu and Iago could still happen. Plus if some thing says rumor then its not a "FACT" it could very well be true but no set in stone.

It could happen for sure but until they announce it is going down for refurb I'm not going to worry.

It could happen for sure but until they announce it is going down for refurb I'm not going to worry.

Ditto.

However, I would honestly hope that Disney learned their lesson with "Under New Management".

To be honest, Geoff, my only experience with the site has been the two recent rumors, so I certainly defer to you on that since you have more experience with them. Maybe it's on me to not be so reactionary, but emotions are a funny thing. I have my own grievances with how current management are running things..they've not made being a Disney World fan easy lately imho..why I was so emotional during the whole situation...it was so easy to believe the rumors with the lot currently in charge. Again, I'll defer to you and walk back some of my judgement about the website. Easy to be testy these days when it comes to The World.

To be honest, Geoff, my only experience with the site has been the two recent rumors, so I certainly defer to you on that since you have more experience with them. Maybe it's on me to not be so reactionary, but emotions are a funny thing. I have my own grievances with how current management are running things..they've not made being a Disney World fan easy lately imho..why I was so emotional during the whole situation...it was so easy to believe the rumors with the lot currently in charge. Again, I'll defer to you and walk back some of my judgement about the website. Easy to be testy these days when it comes to The World.
Corless revealed a couple of bits of info in his latest newscast this week that detailed the extent of the two projects. He said that one of the bits of supporting evidence that he was shown was the the park's Operational Plan for 2020 that detailed the capital projects for that year. Tom stated that budgets for both the Tiki and BCJ makeovers were on that list. If this is true, then it would seem both projects were well beyond the conceptual stages.

Corless also suggested that past evidence from official Disney sources can't always be trusted. He said part of this has a familiar ring to the kerfuffle over his posting not long ago of the "breaking news" in December, 2017 that Stitch's Great Escape would close for good the next month. Disney's PR department declared that such stories were false, and that the attraction would continue to open on a seasonal basis. This was after CMs on January 6, 2018 told guests that they were seeing the last Stitch show and it was closing for good after that date... the same date as announced by Corless the prior month. Corless said that the denial by official channels at Disney caused considerable "blowback" from the Internet social media crowd against him and the refuted story. Flash forward to early October, 2018, when a leaked photo of Reddit showed that the Stitch show was in the process of being dismantled with a "skeletal" photo of Stitch in one of the main show rooms. Now, you can argue that Disney was telling the truth back in January, and only decided to dismantle Stitch afterwards, but then the show CMs on January 6th seem to have been comfortable enough about the closure to tell guests at that time that they were shutting down permanently after "14 fabulous years."

Last edited:
Corless revealed a couple of bits of info in his latest newscast this week that detailed the extent of the two projects. He said that one of the bits of supporting evidence that he was shown was the the park's Operational Plan for 2020 that detailed the capital projects for that year. Tom stated that budgets for both the Tiki and BCJ makeovers were on that list. If this is true, then it would seem both projects were well beyond the conceptual stages.

Corless also suggested that past evidence from official Disney sources can't always be trusted. He said part of this has a familiar ring to the kerfuffle over his posting not long ago of the "breaking news" in December, 2017 that Stitch's Great Escape would close for good the next month. Disney's PR department declared that such stories were false, and that the attraction would continue to open on a seasonal basis. This was after CMs on January 6, 2018 told guests that they were seeing the last Stitch show and it was closing for good after that date... the same date as announced by Corless the prior month. Corless said that the denial by official channels at Disney caused considerable "blowback" from the Internet social media crowd against him and the refuted story. Flash forward to early October, 2018, when a leaked photo of Reddit showed that the Stitch show was in the process of being dismantled with a "skeletal" photo of Stitch in one of the main show rooms. Now, you can argue that Disney was telling the truth back in January, and only decided to dismantle Stitch afterwards, but then the show CMs on January 6th seem to have been comfortable enough about the closure to tell guests at that time that they were shutting down permanently after "14 fabulous years."

I think he fully substantiated his source path and justifications with Wednesday night's show. He has demonstrated to me, once again, the full confidence needed to be on the front line and "walking the plank" of the rumor mill. He freely admits he doesn't care if you like him or not, or has anything to prove to anyone. He has cited he already has enough clicks and doesn't need to be put on the hot seat by generating a completely unsubstantiated rumor. His team created the "Save the Jamboree" website with the possible intention of it reaching Disney.

I get the sense that he has pioneered a reputable Disney news site even though he risks not being on their media lists because of the backlashes he has experienced. I feel he is not a media/news "cut and paster", but really is entrenched on the source line(s). Because of this position, I support him and his team via WIGS and other means. This doesn't mean I don't support other WDW fan sites such as this one.

I have really mixed feelings about Tom and the way he presents rumors. It's not really his fault that many other sites pick up his rumor stories and cite them as happening. However, he also uses misleading headlines that promise things that aren't in the articles. Tom also pushes back way too strong against criticism and comes off poorly. From the recent comments in this thread, it sounds like Tom explained his reasoning well on his newscast. That's great to hear; but he preceded that on Twitter and other venues by getting super defensive and lashing out against everyone.

I listed to the Dreamfinders podcast interview with Tom, and most of it helped to show his fandom and how his site has evolved. He did say that only cast members dislike it when he posts rumors, and I don't believe that's accurate. It makes sense that he would downplay the criticism, but I would have enjoyed hearing him talk more openly about why he conducts himself the way he does. I don't doubt that he isn't a huge fan, but it's hard to even want to click on stories. The Tiki Room and Country Bear rumors certainly have some basis in fact and may have been considered seriously, but the way everything happened just was strange.

Honestly. How does Moana NOT have a presence in DW. I always read of Wreck it Ralph attraction rumors but Moana, Princess and the Frog and Coco were all superior to WiR to me.

It took a few years after the movie came out to get Frozen stuff going, and now it's got a presence in 2 parks (and seasonally in a third) so I'd give it some time for them to place it. The response from the crowd when How Far I'll Go came on during HEA last time I went was audible, so you just know they'll do something eventually.

I agree that I don't see WiR having the same staying power.

Honestly. How does Moana NOT have a presence in DW. I always read of Wreck it Ralph attraction rumors but Moana, Princess and the Frog and Coco were all superior to WiR to me.
It is getting traction- between the rumor of it being added to Tiki( not replacing as title suggests) and the new water feature at Epcot leading to the Seas that will start the ball rolling.

I know that WDW isn't supposed to be a museum, but seriously? Change the Tiki Room? It's one of two attractions that actually have Walt Disney's name in their name. It captures an idea and a time that captivated America, with animatronics that are a hallmark of Disney innovation. If kids can't sit through 15 and a half minutes of something that may be unfamiliar or seem strange, that's not reason to change an attraction that still entertains many of us without having to tie in to a new property. Do we have to supercharge every inch of the parks?

Me personally, I'd bulldoze all of Tomorrowland except People Mover and start from the ground up with new attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter