MNSSHP

kuhltiffany

DIS Veteran
We’ve never been but plan to go in August. Will rest up during the day so we can stay for the evening. We aren’t into characters but will want to watch any shows/parades and go on rides that have a Halloween tie in. Can we do all that in one night?

I heard some things close in between getting the day guests out and the party started. We can get in at 4 so should we eat early? Any tips for the night are welcome! :hmghost:🍭🎃

I haven't been for 5 years but looks like all the old favourite entertainment is back this year. Def line up by 3:30pm and enter at 4pm, get your trick or treat party bag, shop for any party merch you want on main street then eat at a quick service location like Columbia Harbour House. I used to have 3 Fast Passes booked for the 4pm-5:15pm time slot but that's gone by the wayside now. I'm also not interested in character meet and greets, so I focus on the party-only entertainment. In the half hour or so before the party officially begins, the fog starts to roll out near the Haunted Mansion and I'd ride it then wait in front of the lawn just behind the ghost hearse to catch the HM show. Then walk a few minutes back into Frontierland to see the Cadaver Dans sing. I don't join the crowds anymore in front of the castle for the early parade so I watch it in Frontierland. I catch the Sanderson Sisters stage show at the late showing when the crowds are lighter then watch the castle projection show and fireworks at the end of the party. Before the late shows, I ride a few of the rides with party overlay like teacups and pirates and pick up one party specific Halloween treat. Time flies at the party so prioritize what you want to do. I don't waste time on the dance party, Space Mountain's overlay or trick or treating (I just get some candy on the way out) but you do you. Premium cost for a few premium hours so go into it with a plan. You can't do everything so focus on what really interests you. Maybe have a rain event backup schedule in case the late Sanderson Sisters and fireworks are cancelled. Depending on the forecast, be ready to pivot and catch those early shows with the crowds if you're worried about late evening t-storms. Enjoy!

I have been to both the MNSSHP and the Christmas party a few times (pre-covid)

You asked about eating before going in and I say do it!
Personally I find the time flies by so I always try to eat a really big late lunch before heading over to the park. I just don't want to waste any precious ride or event time by sitting and eating.

It is usally pretty darn hot though so you don't want to eat so much that you need a nap, LOL!

Having said that, by 11ish we are usually soooo hungry so either bring some snacks or make sure you have a food plan for late in the evening.

We did the Christmas Party in December. We decided to have a big meal at the resort around 2:30pm so we didn't cut into our early park time before the party started. Got on the bus at 3pm. Got stuck in a bit of traffic, then hopped in the insane line around 3:30pm.

When the weather cooperates its a great time. Parade is really cool "Boo to you" and the grave diggers are wonderful. Great access to rides and unique sweet treats.

I find the lines for characters to take the most time, so if you're not into that, you'll have plenty of time to do all the things you want to do. The biggest unknown in Aug is the weather. Frequent thunderstorms mean possible cancellation of the parade and fireworks. Often it's just a delay but could be possibly canceled, and there obviously will be no refunds. We did it last Aug and will be doing it again this year.

We have done both parties several times. There really isn't much more to add than the advise already given. We usually have dinner at a CS around 5pm and it doesn't take long at all. Now with mobile order you can order ahead and have it ready when you get there. Make sure to eat before the party starts because after that not everything will be open. If you want to see the parade from Main St you have to get a spot more than an hour early (probably more like 2 hours) which is a huge waste of time unless it's something you really want to do. There are lots of other places closer to the start of the parade that you can wait only 20-30 minutes ahead. Have some idea as to where you are going after the parade and if possible factor an exit strategy into where you watch the parade from. Definitely do some trick or treating....it's takes no time at all and is actually fun.

One thing to be aware of...
The parties now seem to have a higher capacity. Last year the main complaint was how crowded the park was. People were saying that it felt like any regular day. So that might make it harder to do a lot.

We’ve only done MNSSHP 3 times over the years so not a ton of experience but I think your goals should work out.

Yes definitely eat dinner early if possible. We’ve been caught trying to find food at 9pm, like showing up to Pinocchio House and finding out just Pecos Bill and Ray’s is open for QS. Since then we always make sure to be well fed before 7pm and just snack during the party.

Our last party was similar to what you describe with doing mostly other stuff than character meets. Rode Haunted Mansion, Pirates (so cool with live pirates!) and a few other rides. Watched the parade both times from different spots. Got a nice spot for fireworks. Watched Hocus Pocus the last show at midnight. We also met Jack Sparrow around 11pm iirc… this is one character meet you may not want to miss because the interactions are golden (later is better, we only had to wait 5 minutes for him at that point).

From Disney Tourist Blog, below is a list of likely shows and times:

Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular
  • August & September: 8:35 pm, 10:45 pm, 12 am
  • October: 7:40 pm, 8:35 pm, 10:45 pm, 12 am
Disney’s Not So Spooky Spectacular
  • 10:15 pm
Mickey’s Boo to You Halloween Parade
  • 9:15 pm and 11:15 pm
Cadaver Dans Barbershop Quartet
  • 7 pm, 7:45 pm, 8:30 pm, 9:50 pm, 10:30 pm
Storybook Circus Disney Junior Jam
  • 7 pm until midnight
Monstrous Scream-O-Ween Dance Ball
  • 7 pm until midnight
^The last 2 are fun to pop in for a few minutes but we didn’t make them a priority like the others.
We also waited until after 9pm for Trick-or-Treat trails when most trails have hardly any line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter