MNSSHP Cap’s shield ok to bring in?

CaryHaven

DIS Veteran
For an adult costume? It’s plastic but I don’t know if they will view it as a weapon. Also, is face makeup ok? I just want to darken my eyes like the Winter Soldier. I didn’t see anything specifically against this.

Last edited:
This is an easy Google.

Doesn't break any of these rules?

What is the best way to dress for a visit to the parks

Inappropriate Attire
Attire that is not appropriate for the parks—and which may result in refusal of admittance—includes but is not limited to:

Costumes may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older; however, some costumes may be permitted during select special events, such as Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.
While costumes may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older, some outfits inspired by Star Wars may be permitted. Learn more about dressing for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
Masks may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older (unless they are for medical purposes); however, some masks may be permitted during select special events such as Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.
Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
Excessively torn clothing
Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
Clothing with multiple layers are subject to search upon entry
Objectionable tattoos
Dressing for Special Events

Please note these specific costume guidelines for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

While we encourage creativity, we also value safety and good judgment. If you’re planning to attend these special events, take a moment to read over our latest rules and regulations:

General

Disney reserves the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests.
All Guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
Costumes may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest.
Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from Disney parks, unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards.
For Guests ages 13 and under:

Costumes and some masks may be worn, as long as the mask does not cover the entire face and eyes are visible.
For Guests ages 14 and older:

Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged and may be subject to additional security screening.
Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground. (for example, full-length Princess dresses)
Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts and hats are acceptable.
Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
Masks of any kind may not be worn.

I wondered the same thing about the shield, as my son is going as Captain America, so we found an inflatable shield. I figure there is no way that will be construed as a weapon, and it would not hurt if it accidentally struck someone. Plus, if there is an issue, it can be easily deflated and stowed (or thrown away -- it was super cheap).

Thank you, yes I had read this before but on a different website and worded slightly differently. I did not know if they would stretch it by calling the shield an offensive weapon. I guess I was hoping for someone who had seen or gone as Captain America to let me know what they said. I assume the make up would be OK. I do not think it is scary at all but have not dressed up for this party before. Actually I’ve never gone to this party before despite many Disney visits.

Yes Twinmom, it’s not that it would be very expensive to toss… I don’t know if we would have to send it back to the hotel or throw it away or if they would confiscate it. It’s only a simple plastic shield. I feel that the costume is not much of a costume without the shield honestly. My husband is not super into dressing up so it’s basically the shield and the T-shirt LOL Hopefully someone will weigh in who has gone as Cap before. I tried looking around online for pictures of people who had gone as the Avengers but was unable to get any hard evidence, not to mention different cast members view things differently. So maybe some people could get in and some people couldn’t, but I am really thinking there’s nothing wrong with the shield. Just kind of winning a second opinion I guess.

I would think the shield would be a pain in the neck to carry around. If you have a trick or treat bag it really might be a pain to be carrying a shield also. If you want to carry food, or a food tray, or take a picture, or walk in a crowded area or small space the, the shield might get in the way. Most people do not wear costumes, so I wouldn’t worry about looking boring without it.

This is an easy Google.

That didn't answer either of OPs question, it doesn't address the eye make up or if Cap's shield is interpreted as a weapon. Obviously they know weapons are not allowed as they mentioned in their original post. Not such an easy internet search. Good try.

Matt

My son went as Cap a couple years ago with a shield and had no problems. He also went as one of the ruffians/thugs from Tangled (specifically Vladimir for those who love that part haha) and carried a huge plastic axe, obviously plastic (would’ve outweighed me if it was real). Of course, that’s a kid, but I really don’t think the shield will be an issue. And most of them have elastic straps so no big hassle to carry. We’ve worn all manner of face paint, the kids and adults (DD was Mystique when son was Cap, and I was Gamora), also with no issues. He’ll prob get lots of salutes and greetings from CMs ;). Have fun!

I wouldn't bring it because I wouldn't want to carry it around all night and where will you put it when getting on rides?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter