MNSSHP and allergy friendly candy

GusGus77

DIS Veteran
I was reading an article and it sounds like there is perhaps a different procedure this year for receiving allergy friendly candy? We went last year and walked into town hall and they just gave us a bag full (We did not have to exchange the candy we gathered for it which was really great since a few of those were safe and I could eat them even if the kids couldn’t!) I saw an article about getting a teal coin when you enter the party and going to special teal candy stations? Has anyone been this year and can tell me how it works? We are going to WDW as a last minute trip for three days and the Halloween party will be our only park day so I want to make sure I am prepared and don’t waste any Park time trying to figure it out. Thanks!!!

No need to exchange any candy for allergy candy. The person(s) with an allergy can get a differently colored teal candy bag for trick-or-treating (or use the regular bag). When you go to the candy stations you can ask for the "allergy coin" or if the CM sees the teal bag they'll give you one. They'll do this instead of putting any candy in your bag. There are two spots to exchange the coins for treats - one is near the Hall of Presidents and the other is City Hall I think.

As an FYI - my son was very meh on trick-or treating and only had 1-3 coins total and they still gave him the same size bag of candy that they gave if you'd gotten a bunch of coins - as far as we could tell. I would guess you could collect more coins and go back for more bags of candy (about half-filled bag is what he got). I'm guessing he could have gone to both spots and ended up with essentially a full bag of candy. I guess the point is that if for any reason you didn't trick-or-treat a lot, it's still worth trading in what coins you have for candy. ;)

We went last year and got the teal bag and coins at all the stations as mentioned by a PP. We exchanged them at the Town Hall. When we went, they had a large sheet of paper on the counter with pics and allergy info about each of the alternate treats offered. You put your coins on the pics of whichever treats you wanted with one coin equalling one item. We only had 3 or 4 coins, so they grabbed a handful of extra coins for us to exchange. We ended up with 18 coins total exchanged for 18 allergy-free treats. It filled one whole bag.

The bags can be picked up (along with your first coin) when you enter the party and get the regular bags and initial bag of candy. Just ask the CM for an allergy bag. It seemed like most of the candy stations also had a stash of allergy bags too if if someone didn't have one.

Adults can trick or treat too, so if you still want some candy, you can get a regular bag and candy at the stations for you while the kids get the allergy bags and coins that you swap later. Or, depending on your kids/ the severity of the allergy/ if they still want the experience of getting candy in their bags, you could be the one to collect the allergy coins while they collect the candy, then swap treats at the end. My toddler is the one in the family with the allergy and I knew he wouldn't understand why his sister was getting candy in her bag while he was just getting coins, so I got the allergy bag and coins while he trick or treated for the candy. I just of course couldn't let him have anything until I swapped my coins out for the allergy-friendly treats for him.

Thanks! We didn’t know about the coins last year and just went to the allergen station and they overfilled a bag with everything without us exchanging coins....so sounds like we need to work a little harder this year!

So is it at the beginning of the line you get the coin so you don’t have to walk through the whole line if there are multiple stations (candy trail) or do you have to do the whole trail?

So is it at the beginning of the line you get the coin so you don’t have to walk through the whole line if there are multiple stations (candy trail) or do you have to do the whole trail?

The CM at the candy area or near it gave us the coins I think so we did go through the line - but I was getting candy too - lol!

I am betting that you really don't have to collect tokens to get the allergy candy. As I said, my son had like a couple of tokens and they still gave him the same amount they would have anyway. I'm also betting that if you have a situation of a child/person who wouldn't understand why they can't have the regular candy in the line/would get upset about swapping it away, etc. that you can just go to the allergy candy spot and talk to the CM and they'd likely give you the bag of allergy items without making you go through the line.

My son with the allergies (he is 16) really did NOT want to trick-or-treat for the coins - I think he found it in some measure depressing and - he's right - he'd get the same thing anyway at the end so he just went and got the candy and was happy. As I mentioned, one year he tried to collect a ton of coins and he got the same amount of candy he did when he'd only gotten a few so he is very demotivated to spend time collecting coins. I don't think you need to work harder collecting coins. He got stuff he really liked as it turned out - better than he expected I think.

The cast member handing out the candy will give you a token. Some stations had them hanging from candy barrel snd some had them in their apron pockets. They give you one token. Most of the trails there is no way to exit after 1st station you would continue on to the next station and get another token. Philharmacig and monsters inc trails are just walking through the attraction.

You just need some tokens to redeem. The monsters inc trail is pretty short and there are 2 stations. Walk thru there 3 times that will give you 6 tokens. That will get you a bag of candy. And if there is something you would like a little more of just ask nicely. The cast members were very accommodating. But they were asking for tokens to exchange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!