MK on NYE

We’re doing the dessert party for the 6:30 MK fireworks With our kids and then intend to leave right after. Any idea how bad our trip back to CBR will be at that time? Do you think we will be fighting a huge crowd as we walk back to the entrance, or is it possible they will open the backstage passage after the early show to help with congestion?

We’re doing the dessert party for the 6:30 MK fireworks With our kids and then intend to leave right after. Any idea how bad our trip back to CBR will be at that time? Do you think we will be fighting a huge crowd as we walk back to the entrance, or is it possible they will open the backstage passage after the early show to help with congestion?

I’ve done the 6:30 show on 12/30 the last two years. My memory is that the bypass was open but don’t quote me on that in case I’m mistaken.

My general take - you just have to roll with the flow. There are lots of people on different agendas - some leaving after the first show, some arriving, some sticking around - so it’s sort of a big ol’ mess of people.

If you’re doing the Plaza Garden dessert party, I’d be inclined to just chill for 15-25 minutes, enjoy the MK dance party, and wait for things to die down a bit.

How does the 30th compare with the 31st? We plan a rope drop on the 30th, short midday break and to return for the 6pm fireworks? Staying at AKL. Misguided?

How does the 30th compare with the 31st? We plan a rope drop on the 30th, short midday break and to return for the 6pm fireworks? Staying at AKL. Misguided?
About as crowded.
Reason is a whole lot of others do the same so they can do MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st. 2 times the fun. MK is the only park that parties twice. Folks know this so they go there on the 30th just like it's the 31st.

My intent on 12/31 is to park hop starting at MK then Epcot, then crowds permitting Animal Kingdom, then back to MK. I’ve never been on NYE until now, any tips/tricks as far as park hopping on NYE? Btw I am staying at AOA and possess a Platinum AP.

My intent on 12/31 is to park hop starting at MK then Epcot, then crowds permitting Animal Kingdom, then back to MK. I’ve never been on NYE until now, any tips/tricks as far as park hopping on NYE? Btw I am staying at AOA and possess a Platinum AP.
The problem with your plan is transportation times. It may simply not be possible due to running out of time. A trip in to Epcot can take 2, 3 hours driving time. Same with MK in the mornings. Even Disney buses get stuck in traffic on the roads. They don't have magical routes. Once they get to the parking gates at MK they have their own route to the bus depot but gotta get to the split first.

Is there a reason you want to hop on this day?

The problem with your plan is transportation times. It may simply not be possible due to running out of time. A trip in to Epcot can take 2, 3 hours driving time.
Bear in mind MK & Epcot are connected via the Monorail, so traffic should not be an issue between those parks specifically.

Bear in mind MK & Epcot are connected via the Monorail, so traffic should not be an issue between those parks specifically.
I thought AK was in the mix? I wasn't clear on what was when. Still, traffic is a concern. What takes minutes on a regular day will take hours.

And there are still lines for the monorail. The wait won't be as long as the drive but it is considerably longer than expected on a regular day

I'd have to have a VERY compelling reason to hop on NYE

We've done Christmas/NYE at Disney the past 10 years. Early on, we were so enthusiastic about NYE in Disney. The past two years, we didn't even go into the parks. That's personal preference - it's crazy crowded but still enjoyable. My dad wasn't in the best health last year and we simply weren't feeling it two years ago, so we had a great dinner at Yachtsman and watched from the boat launch.

Anyway - staying on-site allows you to go later if you want. If your goal is JUST to see the fireworks, then go early, stake out a spot, and enjoy the fireworks. If you wanna get on rides, well then, I hope you have FP's.

Taking a break is a good idea. NYE is a different animal but during Christmas week, MK doesn't get crazy crowded until ~10-11am. The park is gonna be so crowded that you'll wanna leave and come back. I'd almost recommend grabbing a quick bite to eat at one of the monorail resorts, relaxing there for a while, then going back.

Going back to the hotel also gives you a good opportunity to grab layers -that way you're not carrying them around all day or if it suddenly gets cold at night.

Some really great advice and recommendations. I know we will have fun on NYE but really makes me put a lot more thought into the planning. Taking a mid-day break relaxing and enjoying a meal at a monorail resort is a definite possibility as an alternative to returning to our resort for a break then dealing with busses stuck in traffic for hours.

I’ve hopped between Epcot, MK, and Poly via monorail the last two years with relatively few issues. Whizzing by looking down at the heavy traffic below.

Things have gotten a lot better around property with the MK toll booth bypass and the various other roadway infrastructure projects they’ve done in the past few years, but traffic is still very stout in ways that sound like hyperbole but are true.

I’d be a little cautious of the DAK hop depending on conditions. Check Waze for travel times and be prepared to adjust if needed.

I'd go ahead and forget trying to get to Animal Kingdom that day. You'd probably spend more time in traffic than in the parks.

If you've never had the wonderful experience of seeing burgundy/dark red on the traffic maps on Google Maps/Waze, welcome to NYE at Disney.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!