MK on NYE

MizzouTigger

Earning My Ears
We will be in MK on Dec 31st and are planning EMH in the morning then leaving for a break around noon and trying to return around 4-5pm for the rest of the night in the park. Had read that MK reaches capacity by early afternoon on the 31st.
What are our chances of getting back into MK if we would leave for a afternoon break? Or should I add the Park Hopper option in order to go to another park if needed?

If you're staying onsite, 100%

If you're staying offsite, 99%

To be specific, Disney has 4 different phases of closing to capacity.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/capacity-closures
If you're staying on-site, then the only closure you should be concerned about is Phase 4. But that is an incredibly rare (as seen in the link above). You should have no problem getting in. If off-site, then there is a very minimal chance you won't get in.

However, Disney has reopened on that date as well after closing to capacity:

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...d-to-some-guests-due-to-reaching-capacity.htm
If you can afford an extra hour at the hotel, it might minimize being affected by any possible continued closures.

We could not get back into MK after we left, on the only NYE that we have stayed at WDW.

But that was 1999 turning to 2000! hahaha, and to be honest, it was so crowded and crazy, we were perfectly happy spending the evening at the pool at our resort!!!

We could not get back into MK after we left, on the only NYE that we have stayed at WDW.

But that was 1999 turning to 2000! hahaha, and to be honest, it was so crowded and crazy, we were perfectly happy spending the evening at the pool at our resort!!!
To mention in case some find it interesting, this was before New Fantasy Land was added to the park. It's been thought that now, a full on closure will not happen due to this added capacity, since the formula as some combination of square feet and body count. More square feet, more bodies.

Oh, what may be the bigger problem is traffic. Even using a Disney bus can get you stuck in some massive traffic that day. That would be the bigger deterrent to leaving mid day, for me.

Oh, what may be the bigger problem is traffic. Even using a Disney bus can get you stuck in some massive traffic that day. That would be the bigger deterrent to leaving mid day, for me.

Having been at WDW the last two NYE’s, this is sound advice. Choose mid-day travel wisely if via bus or personal vehicle, in my opinion.

Why EMH in the morning that day? Even with a break, that’s going to be a long day. Sleep late, lounge by the pool then head into the park with your 3 FPs.

So I wondered about this; we are planning on doing NYE at MK but I was not planning on going until the afternoon. We have dining reservations and right now I have a room reserved at the All Stars (We are staying at the Poly January 1-6) so I also have multi day tickets. I might change to off site hotel because honestly the rate is outrageous for the night. I hear everyone say go early but why not wait until later in the day?

So I wondered about this; we are planning on doing NYE at MK but I was not planning on going until the afternoon. We have dining reservations and right now I have a room reserved at the All Stars (We are staying at the Poly January 1-6) so I also have multi day tickets. I might change to off site hotel because honestly the rate is outrageous for the night. I hear everyone say go early but why not wait until later in the day?
If you hope to avoid traffic, it won't help. I mean, EVERYONE is there for the fireworks at night. So later doesn't help.

I have a cousin that lives locally and joins us at Epcot each year. They can't come over till they get off work that day. So later in the day. It takes over 3 hours for them to get there. When it's less than an hour on a normal day

The rates are outrageous on site since discounts are practically impossible, unless you book a package that starts on the 24th. But we bite the bullet and pay it just so we can walk to Epcot.

that was us we did NYE in 2003 at Epcot. They handed out noise makers around 7pm. The crowds and noise got insane and we were out of there by 7:30 and spent the rest of the evening at the hotel.

I was just starting to type about the traffic. Even staying on property. What you think is a quick one hour nap in the afternoon will easily turn into a four to five hour ordeal (unless you are staying at the Contemporary and can walk). You will have to get out of the park, wait for transportation ... the roads are jam packed ... you get to your resort ... rest ... wait for transportation back to the park ... fight traffic to get to the park ... wait to have your bags checked again ... wait to go through the turn style ... I'm more a get there for the day and stay type of person.

The traffic is the one concern of mine. I just don’t want to be so exhausted we can’t enjoy anything. My kids and I are gung-ho but my husband would rather leave after the 6:30 fireworks and be in bed by midnight.😂

I was just starting to type about the traffic. Even staying on property. What you think is a quick one hour nap in the afternoon will easily turn into a four to five hour ordeal (unless you are staying at the Contemporary and can walk). You will have to get out of the park, wait for transportation ... the roads are jam packed ... you get to your resort ... rest ... wait for transportation back to the park ... fight traffic to get to the park ... wait to have your bags checked again ... wait to go through the turn style ... I'm more a get there for the day and stay type of person.
Do you normally get there at opening? I would not go and leave but did want to wait until later in the day to go.

The traffic is the one concern of mine. I just don’t want to be so exhausted we can’t enjoy anything. My kids and I are gung-ho but my husband would rather leave after the 6:30 fireworks and be in bed by midnight.😂
I would 100% skip EMH. Sleep in, stay around the resort, have lunch there and THEN head to MK. This is what we do on both the 30th (at MK) and the 31st (at Epcot). Sleeping in again on the morning of the 1st. This is not a time for EMH. Not if you want fireworks too. Unless, as mentioned, you are in walking distance.

Related question. Our plan on NYE is to go to Epcot for rope drop - it opens at 8 that day right now. We will do three rides with FP, eat lunch and then leave to go back to Hilton BC and not come back. Would traffic be better for us as we are going against the masses heading to the parks??

Related question. Our plan on NYE is to go to Epcot for rope drop - it opens at 8 that day right now. We will do three rides with FP, eat lunch and then leave to go back to Hilton BC and not come back. Would traffic be better for us as we are going against the masses heading to the parks??

I have not driven it mid-day like that so no personal experience, but I suspect/assume you should be going against most of the flow.

FWIW, I have rope dropped Epcot the last two years and stayed until after lunch as you are planning - such a fun morning with a great vibe. So interesting to see everything set up and ready for the evening’s festivities.

Do you normally get there at opening? I would not go and leave but did want to wait until later in the day to go.

You can wait until later in the day to go ... just keep in mind that the longer you wait the worse traffic to the parks will get. That has been our experience at least. I will only stay where I can walk whatever park I want to spend NYE in at this point. So this year BC to walk to Epcot. We had a horrible experience a few years ago getting stuck in the Epcot parking lot leaving ...

You can wait until later in the day to go ... just keep in mind that the longer you wait the worse traffic to the parks will get. That has been our experience at least. I will only stay where I can walk whatever park I want to spend NYE in at this point. So this year BC to walk to Epcot. We had a horrible experience a few years ago getting stuck in the Epcot parking lot leaving ...
My local cousins actually tailgate in the parking lot following the midnight fireworks. They plan 2, 3 hours just sitting there before even attempting to head home. If it clears enough to leave early they do. They just don't plan to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter