MK Help Please

Yeah I know Steve. My rookie mistake of 1996, cabbing to the mk for mnsshp on oct 31, arriving at 6:45 pm.....

It's burned in my memory....a disastrous night. A literal sea of people..waiting fo the ferry and monorail ... Only Disney transport to MK now! (Edited to add: when I spoke of cabbing or driving I meant to the mk hotel areas for a dinner option, sorry I was unclear)

But good idea regarding akl and jiko and driving. And free valet with plates ( which they have....). Thank you

Last edited:
My rollator has two large labels advising, "Do Not Move Rollator While Seated. "

It's a safety issue. Walkers aren't designed to be used as wheelchairs.

My rollator has two large labels advising, "Do Not Move Rollator While Seated. "

It's a safety issue. Walkers aren't designed to be used as wheelchairs.
Ok thank you for that info.

I just looked at your signature line, my punctuation must be driving you crazy! Sorry! Lol

I very much understand using a walker and being hesitant to rely on something else. I use a rollator at home. But I have concerns about how safe this is going to be for the young woman.

The concept of a rollator that can also be used as a transport chair is good - but the ones that are out there now just don't seem to measure up very well. Lots of stories about them tipping over, being unstable when used as a transport chair. And if it is just a rollator that is not specifically labeled as a transport chair is is VERY UNSAFE for it to be moving without the brakes locked.

I have not personally used a transport rollator, but this review sums up what a lot of people think about them.
Very unhappy with the chair. When using the footrest, it is very easy to tip the chair forward and fall out. This happened twice to my 89 year old mother. Also, if you hit a pebble or try to enter a doorway with a slightly raised threshold, you'll be thrown out of the chair. I have to roll my mother backward through any doorway and constantly be on the lookout for any small obstructions that might get under the wheel. Very poor design.

I also have a scooter now that I use at WDW. I would not have the stamina to use only a walker. Some people use a walker just for stability not to fall. I have a very difficult time walking with one leg being 90% dead. I use my rollator to someone drag my leg which takes a lot more energy. But I am much older than the young woman here and while not large am not tiny either.

I wish all of them well and hope they have a great time. But please help them understand the risks so they can be extra, extra cafeful. A fall out of the chair could be catastrophic.

I very much understand using a walker and being hesitant to rely on something else. I use a rollator at home. But I have concerns about how safe this is going to be for the young woman.

The concept of a rollator that can also be used as a transport chair is good - but the ones that are out there now just don't seem to measure up very well. Lots of stories about them tipping over, being unstable when used as a transport chair. And if it is just a rollator that is not specifically labeled as a transport chair is is VERY UNSAFE for it to be moving without the brakes locked.

I have not personally used a transport rollator, but this review sums up what a lot of people think about them.

I also have a scooter now that I use at WDW. I would not have the stamina to use only a walker. Some people use a walker just for stability not to fall. I have a very difficult time walking with one leg being 90% dead. I use my rollator to someone drag my leg which takes a lot more energy. But I am much older than the young woman here and while not large am not tiny either.

I wish all of them well and hope they have a great time. But please help them understand the risks so they can be extra, extra cafeful. A fall out of the chair could be catastrophic.

I do appreciate all these replies. I will be having another conversation about this with them. But it's difficult for me to do. I feel out of place advising them how to handle their mobility issue. But I will directly reference some of the points laid out by this community. The thing is, I feel I don't have any right to tell them what is the best thing to do. Three days ago mobility issues had never been on my radar for Disney, or in fact any aspect of mine or my families life. I am a total newbie regarding this.

So I appreciate it so much that this community takes the time to lay out in detail from their own personal experience what the pros and cons are in the approach they want to take. because if you guys don't lay it out for me, how can I give them information that is going to make the difference to them?

So don't hold back- give me the straight goods- and I will do my best to help them arrive at the best possible decision.

Thanks everyone! Continue to fire away with anything that you feel is good to for me to know and relay to this family

~A

I do appreciate all these replies. I will be having another conversation about this with them. But it's difficult for me to do. I feel out of place advising them how to handle their mobility issue. But I will directly reference some of the points laid out by this community. The thing is, I feel I don't have any right to tell them what is the best thing to do. Three days ago mobility issues had never been on my radar for Disney, or in fact any aspect of mine or my families life. I am a total newbie regarding this.

So I appreciate it so much that this community takes the time to lay out in detail from their own personal experience what the pros and cons are in the approach they want to take. because if you guys don't lay it out for me, how can I give them information that is going to make the difference to them?

So don't hold back- give me the straight goods- and I will do my best to help them arrive at the best possible decision.

Thanks everyone! Continue to fire away with anything that you feel is good to for me to know and relay to this family

~A
I totally get not wanting to talk to your friends about mobility problems but could you ( with the OP permission) print out the response that has to do with the roller ( specifically arminnie) and show your friend what they wrote you could even black out her name? this way it is coming from someone that has been there done that.

Ok thank you for that info.

I just looked at your signature line, my punctuation must be driving you crazy! Sorry! Lol
Nah. That only kicks in when the poster is annoying :)
I feel out of place advising them how to handle their mobility issue. But I will directly reference some of the points laid out by this community.
Exactly. You're not advising them. We strangers are.

You can use anything I post. I looked into types of rollators when I realized I was going to need one all the time. I understand your quandary with giving advice. A year ago I was walking 4 miles and could climb 4 flights of stairs. So I'm pretty new at this too. A major nerve in my leg just died for no reason that has been identified.

I wish I could have an ECV, wheelchair, rollator and cane at different times during the day when at WDW. I understand the young woman wanting to use something she is familiar with. I guess I'd try to stress the safety issues of uneven pavements. Perhaps it would be best if she walked the rollator instead of riding when dealing with that type of surface. My ECV has no suspension and there are some places (wooden bridges for one) where I think I'm going to shake my brain out of my head it's so rough.

8 miles. That's how much we walked in our MK trip in one day AND we had just been there a few months before so we skipped a lot. That's a lot of walking and pushing. Others would know be more knowledgeable, but I think she can take her walker (or someone can) and she can park the ECV and walk when she wants, but even if she is proud and determined, 8 miles a a LOT of walking.

~A
also I am not sure if she will be allowed to push a seated person on rollator up ramp and on to bus. daughter might be allowed to push it on up the ramp. daughter will not be allowed to remain seated on it while on bus as it can not be tied down

Thanks again. I will make notes and relay this information to my friends.
We will meet at the end of the week, I will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter