@Elle23
That's funny you said that about the after party... We originally planned the after party, and the more I thought about it, the more I believed it would be a bad move with a 4 y/o. So, I called and luckily, they were able to switch me to the before party. I'm not a big eater at night before bed and the 4 y/o definitely would be tired, and it just sounded like I might want to hightail it back to our resort. Thanks for your input!

Did the after party tonight. We usually do the Plaza View before party, but it was sold out a long time ago so I had to book this one. MK was PACKED tonight.. at least in my opinion. I’m used to late April or late October, which is busy but not chaos like tonight. Garden was a little busier than I’ve seen in my previous trips, we still had a pretty good view along the back rail.

However, about 4 minutes into the show a group of teenagers JUMPED both fences from the walkway that the CMs keep clear during the show. I’m still trying to figure out how the CMs missed 3 people jumping 2 fences. Of course they stood right in front of us. I’m still pissed about it. I told one of the CMs at the Terrace and all I got was “Really? I’m sorry” :headache:

Oh wow, @AllThingsMickey4! I'm sorry that happened to you. I would have been upset too. It seems like the CMs could have/should have done a much better job at keeping things like this from happening.

Did the after party tonight. We usually do the Plaza View before party, but it was sold out a long time ago so I had to book this one. MK was PACKED tonight.. at least in my opinion. I’m used to late April or late October, which is busy but not chaos like tonight. Garden was a little busier than I’ve seen in my previous trips, we still had a pretty good view along the back rail.

However, about 4 minutes into the show a group of teenagers JUMPED both fences from the walkway that the CMs keep clear during the show. I’m still trying to figure out how the CMs missed 3 people jumping 2 fences. Of course they stood right in front of us. I’m still pissed about it. I told one of the CMs at the Terrace and all I got was “Really? I’m sorry” :headache:
Oh heck no! I would have gone to get a CM immediately and got them booted

Oh heck no! I would have gone to get a CM immediately and got them booted

I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately we were all the way in the furthest corner of the garden and I was afraid if I left to maneuver my way through the crowd to get a CM I would lose my spot, not to mention miss most of the show. Just disappointing that all 3 CMs in that walkway somehow completely missed it :confused3

@Elle23
That's funny you said that about the after party... We originally planned the after party, and the more I thought about it, the more I believed it would be a bad move with a 4 y/o. So, I called and luckily, they were able to switch me to the before party. I'm not a big eater at night before bed and the 4 y/o definitely would be tired, and it just sounded like I might want to hightail it back to our resort. Thanks for your input!

Glad you were able to switch it!

I had originally booked the before party, but we had a 5:30 CRT reservation and I figured we would still be full from dinner.

If I had known how skimpy the portions were at CRT, I would have kept the before party!

@Elle23

We did the After Party with a 3 and 4 year old and I am glad I did. It was far better to have the desserts after we did not feel rushed and during that time the park was emptying out. Our kids stayed up with zero problem and one fell asleep in the stroller on the way out. We always did the before party in the past, but we always felt so so rushed to eat dessert so we can walk over to the garden. This way we got to the garden at 15 minutes before fireworks, watched fireworks had dessert while the park cleared out and had less stress this way. The line for buses/monorails are insane right after the fireworks to leave right after fireworks is more stressful to deal with all the crowds. It was far easier to have desserts and leave an empty park with little lines for buses. worse case you kid would sleep in a stroller.

@LMO429
Your plan was what I originally envisioned. But we are blessed that we are staying at CR, so no transportation (except shoe leather express) needed. And we figured we would take our desserts and go find a spot on the lawn to watch from. I'm just an early to bed person as is DH. Plus we have the little guy. I'm thinking, even with a rest period that day we will all be toast!
ETA: Also no stroller! That ship has sailed, lol!

@Elle23
"If I had known how skimpy the portions were at CRT, I would have kept the beforeparty!"
We were a little disappointed in our meal portion last year at CRT as well. (DH LOVES his meals at WDW!) We have always loved eating in the castle, and for us the princesses were wonderful, but the food, not so much. We were hoping it was a "one off"...

Last edited:
It's getting close to booking for July. We're planning on going July 3rd for the dessert party. I think if we plan on leaving after the fireworks we'll do the after party.

But, if mk is open late that night (it's a Wed, so maybe PM EMH?) we will do the before party.

Hopefully we'll know about hours before our 180 date.

We (DH &I) attended the garden view Before dessert party yesterday (12/8). I decided to book this because I really wanted a great view of the fireworks and last year due to me getting the times mixed up I ended up pretty much missing the fireworks so I wanted to ensure we had a better view. In my opinion it was a one And done for us.

We arrived pretty early at 6:30 (our check in time was 7:30 and there was two groups already in front of us. They started checking in people around 7ish and at that point the line was decently long. We were shown to our table and given our wristbands and that was it. We kinda felt abandoned and were not sure what to do. We had seen other cast members show people around and stuff. But we just went for it. I didn’t take any pictures but we did enjoy the food. I loved the strawberries and the sparkling apple cider.

Also really enjoyed the savory items (cheeseburger egg rolls w/ special sauce & spinach dip. Yum!) we ate fairly quickly. Relaxed a bit there and then around 8 or so Used the bathroom. The one inside was very busy. So I went to the outside one. Then hubby and I asked a cast member to show us to the viewing area. We were at our spot around 8:15. We picked a spot by the back railing right when you walk in. It was a very nice view. However my only really complaint is that the walkway that was directly behind the viewing area is a walkway that they don’t let people stop and view the fireworks. So cast members are constantly yelling for people to continue walking and not to stop here. Honestly when we first heard them doing that we should have moved. But I guess in my head I just assumed they would close it off for the show and the yelling would stop. However it did not. A cast member started using a loud microphone because people weren’t hearing them telling people to move along. I understand they have to use it and he only used the microphone for about 5 minutes or so. But they continued to yell the entire show because people kept stopping. Which caused the people who were being moved to become extremely rude. I heard many rude things yelled at the cast members and one guy had to have security called on him because he was in the cast members face yelling. It was pretty distracting. However I still enjoyed the food and the view. I would probably do it again if they had a new show or something. But not again for this one

Thanks for all the advice and reviews in this thread :thumbsup2

Last edited:
It's getting close to booking for July. We're planning on going July 3rd for the dessert party. I think if we plan on leaving after the fireworks we'll do the after party.

But, if mk is open late that night (it's a Wed, so maybe PM EMH?) we will do the before party.

Just be prepared for the hours to change yet again as you get closer, because they often do!
I'm in the 160-ish day range and the day I have the Dessert Party booked is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend- but they still have the park closing at 9:00 after the fireworks, which is pretty unlikely, I think!

Just be prepared for the hours to change yet again as you get closer, because they often do!
I'm in the 160-ish day range and the day I have the Dessert Party booked is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend- but they still have the park closing at 9:00 after the fireworks, which is pretty unlikely, I think!
True, but a big part of my decision will come down to whether MK has the pm EMH. While the actual closing time will most likely change, the EMH dates are usually more reliable.

True, but a big part of my decision will come down to whether MK has the pm EMH. While the actual closing time will most likely change, the EMH dates are usually more reliable.
I was hoping that the Wed. EMH would be as late as last year, but (so far) it isn't. Just until 11, last year it was 12. Meh. So I scheduled it for a Saturday that is currently listed as a 9 thinking it'll be a lot later by the time the date rolls around, given the fact that it's Memorial Day weekend. Last year regular park hours were until 1 am. My group is a bunch of night owls (except for me, but I'll make it through the fireworks!) so keeping my fingers crossed.

The whole week is just running shorter hours compared to last year, I hope that does not hold. Good luck!

Last edited:

You should know of its EMH but I would not count on knowing hours til much closer to the date. It's December and still waiting for MLK weekend hours.

Just a heads up that often the dessert parties for July 3 and 4 not load at the 180 mark. Sometimes they are grayed out, sometimes they say no times available, but rest assured that they always DO load eventually!

Did the before Plaza garden party on the 10th - me, DH, DD and her boyfriend. Arrived around 7 and check in started at 7:10. DH and her boyfriend were still eating at Cosmic Ray's, and there was no problem with them arriving later than us. We thought the desserts were really good, and we were so early that they were plentiful. It was quite chilly, so we left and spent some time in the Emporium to warm up. Entered the garden area around 8:50. It was quite full, but lots of people were sitting and spreading out, so they took up more space. There weren't any spots left along the back rail, but we're not fussy about where we stand. If it had been important to us to get a particular spot, obviously we would have gotten there earlier. It was still much better than being crammed in with the masses in the hub and on main Street, and I consider it a good value just for that reason.

So Disney just extended the hours on our dessert party night. HEA is at 8 with the park now closing at 11. We are currently booked for the after party. Should I switch to the before now?

So Disney just extended the hours on our dessert party night. HEA is at 8 with the park now closing at 11. We are currently booked for the after party. Should I switch to the before now?
There may not be availability to switch. I wouldn't worry about losing time in the park if you keep the after party. After the fireworks, you can't really get anywhere quickly so you might as well enjoy desserts while waiting form the fireworks crowd to disperse.

I was was wondering the same thing! Our hours just got extended too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter