We did the Dessert Party 2 weeks ago with the garden plaza viewing. First time since 2012 and first time at the garden plaza viewing area. On the plus side, the viewing area is really good, much better than the view from the actual terrace in my opinion. On the down side, the actual dessert party element has gone completely down hill. Our area was a complete zoo with tables jammed in and massive cues for food. Really awful, we left to the viewing area after 20 minutes. Very poor

Are the dessert parties usually sold out, or is there day-of availability?

It depends on which party.

Tomorrowland Terrace (seated) Party - small capacity, tends to sell out, can be tougher to find spots once it sells out, I'd rate same day as possible but low probability.

Plaza Garden Viewing - Before Party - High capacity, doesn't sell out all that often except for the Sept-Dec party season where you have MNSSHP & MVMCP on the schedule creating a supply/demand imbalance for HEA/regular park nights.

Plaza Garden Viewing - After Party - Just introduced a few months ago but the only reported sell outs have been now during the height of party season. Not very crowded parties reported over the summer (note, it was still new).

Same day is going to be much easier for the Plaza Garden versions, generally speaking (except for the height of party season and other major holidays).

We did the Dessert Party 2 weeks ago with the garden plaza viewing. First time since 2012 and first time at the garden plaza viewing area. On the plus side, the viewing area is really good, much better than the view from the actual terrace in my opinion. On the down side, the actual dessert party element has gone completely down hill. Our area was a complete zoo with tables jammed in and massive cues for food. Really awful, we left to the viewing area after 20 minutes. Very poor

We had that experience last March. Many of the desserts looked picked over and weren't being replenished. I took pictures to send to guest services and actually had a conversation with the manager at Hollywood Studios Dessert party a few days later and after I showed her the photos, she was appalled. We've been to many dessert parties over the years and LOVE the Plaza Garden View, so we're going to give it another go in February. I actually felt bad for the CMs serving as people kept asking for more food and they had no more trays to bring out. I have to say it was the most crowded party I'd ever been to. (We go once a year). It sounds as though things had improved, I haven't read any recent poor reviews for at least 6 months until yours popped up. I'm hoping it doesn't become a trend!

Last edited:
We are at the Before party right now. Partner and I were silly and ate at CRT right before so only nibbled a couple of things before heading outside to the Plaza Garden. Cheeseburger egg rolls were surprisingly tasty! As per @GADisneyDad14 we are hanging out at the left back rail. The hub already looks insane. There’s only a few others out here in the garden with us, most folks are still inside. Before party looks like a sellout, not sure about After.

Also not sure if this was previously reported but cast are almost patrolling the area checking for wristbands. We’ve seen no less than four groups of people who snuck in get kicked out. I admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude, if only because it’s rare to see people who try to cheat the system get caught and not get away with it. It’s not right or fair to the people who have paid so I am glad to see CMs politely but firmly enforcing the rules.

Also not sure if this was previously reported but cast are almost patrolling the area checking for wristbands. We’ve seen no less than four groups of people who snuck in get kicked out. I admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude, if only because it’s rare to see people who try to cheat the system get caught and not get away with it. It’s not right or fair to the people who have paid so I am glad to see CMs politely but firmly enforcing the rules.

Yeah, when we did the After Party back in Sept there was what I'll call a relatively serious level of patrolling in the garden. Managers, security, CMs.... definitely several rounds subtly checking for wrist-bands. I was happy to see this at the time and glad to see another report of it happening.

We did the after fireworks dessert party on Monday October 15. Magic Kingdom was packed that night. We even had to wait to ride the people mover that evening before we went to the garden that evening. We checked in alittle over a half hour before the fireworks. We were towards the back of the garden on the left side but not right on the back rail. We had room to spread out and our son was able to dance around etc. It was super crowded in the hub. We had a good view. I did have to hold my 5 year old son on my hip eventually so he could see a bit better. The actual dessert party after the fireworks was not that crowded. I saw plenty of empty tables....I wish we had asked to be seated on the edge because I noticed you could see OUAT from there.

Gotta love me some good Schadenfreude! Lol! I always feel a bit guilty and terribly smug when people get their "Just desserts", especially at a dessert party!

And on another note about rule breakers, it used to make me crazy when we went to either MNSSHP or to MVMCP and even though day guests were not allowed on rides, they DID hang out for the parade and try and catch the fireworks. I was so happy when they really began to police the area and route people out to the gate. I've seen people try to duck in bathrooms and stores to not get caught. It's just nuts, they think it's victimless and that they're hurting Disney, but darn it's just one more person in the way!!!
(Thanks for listening! Lol)

Does the dessert party block you from getting a fastpass for that hour like other table service reservations?

Does the dessert party block you from getting a fastpass for that hour like other table service reservations?

No it doesn’t ‘block’ you from making FPs during party time. No dining reservation ‘blocks’ you from making FPs - it will give you a notice that you have an overlapping dining reservation time (as a courtesy), but it doesn’t prevent you from booking the FP.

Is this really true?
I have heard the MVMCParty can be so crowded that its best to purchase the dessert party to comfortably watch the fireworks. I thought the MVMCP had a limited number of people so viewing the Parade and Fireworks would be easier to view than on a NonParty night.

Well after last night’s experience, I can definitely recommend the Before party during MNSSHP/MVMCP season. I’m glad I didn’t freak out and cancel due to the After parties being announced. It was a full house for the show but the garden was by no means uncomfortable and there was room enough for all. The hub crowds were absolutely obscene. We ended up sticking around for Once Upon a Time and letting the crowd thin out before exiting and catching the monorail back to the Poly.

For HEA first timers it was well worth it and I would definitely do it again. Partner is 5’2” and had no issues seeing—that back railing is really where it’s at! Like I said, we were still full from CRT dinner so only had a few nibbles but I thought the savory options were decent and I did like the couple of sweets I had, the S’mores and the cheesecake bite. They weren’t mind blowing but they were fine. Really this is for the spot and imo you can’t put a price on that for the crowds that were at MK last night.

How have the crowds been in the Garden during non-MNSSHP nights? We're doing the after party while the Xmas parties are going on and I know it's packed since HEA is only 2-3 nights a week. I know when the parties started the crowds weren't so bad but wondering now that we're a few months in and in the first party season with the after party in effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter