mixology class review!

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
Just got off the 3 night Fantasy yesterday! We did not get off of the ship in Nassau and did not want to do Palo, so I booked us into the Mixology class. We had never done this so it was a gamble, but we had a lot of fun!
Lionel in Skylines was our bartender and he was funny and knew his stuff. We took turns making the drinks, but everyone got 5, made by other class members:
1) a mojito
2)a Tom Collins but made with grape vodka instead of gin (not a lot of gin fans in our group)
3) a "french connection"--a champagne cocktail Lionel has recently made up with Moet, chambord, and orange grey goose
4) a chocolate martini--side note, I had never had a martini before in my life, and since I had the closest BDay(the next day) I was given a HUGE one, which I highly enjoyed.
5) a shot made up of Rum Chata and Fireball which Lionel called "cinnamon toast crunch", and indeed it did taste like it.
Cost was $40 PP, and well worth it! Lots of fun and a little knowledge! And everyone used handwipes before they made drinks, no one touched rims, no one shared straws, etc. if you are worried about germs.
Another funny note: Lionel said he wanted everyone to crawl out of there, so DH took a joke pic of me on the floor of the doorway crawling. At least 3 class members ran over to see if I was OK! I guess I do look my new age (55), they probably thought I broke a hip! ;)

Just got off the 3 night Fantasy yesterday! We did not get off of the ship in Nassau and did not want to do Palo, so I booked us into the Mixology class. We had never done this so it was a gamble, but we had a lot of fun!
Lionel in Skylines was our bartender and he was funny and knew his stuff. We took turns making the drinks, but everyone got 5, made by other class members:
1) a mojito
2)a Tom Collins but made with grape vodka instead of gin (not a lot of gin fans in our group)
3) a "french connection"--a champagne cocktail Lionel has recently made up with Moet, chambord, and orange grey goose
4) a chocolate martini--side note, I had never had a martini before in my life, and since I had the closest BDay(the next day) I was given a HUGE one, which I highly enjoyed.
5) a shot made up of Rum Chata and Fireball which Lionel called "cinnamon toast crunch", and indeed it did taste like it.
Cost was $40 PP, and well worth it! Lots of fun and a little knowledge! And everyone used handwipes before they made drinks, no one touched rims, no one shared straws, etc. if you are worried about germs.
Another funny note: Lionel said he wanted everyone to crawl out of there, so DH took a joke pic of me on the floor of the doorway crawling. At least 3 class members ran over to see if I was OK! I guess I do look my new age (55), they probably thought I broke a hip! ;)

:rotfl2: That is HYSTERICAL!!!!! Thanks for a nice report on the Mixology class!

We too had the mixology class on Fantasy, on the cruise prior to OP. I had never had the format where the other guests make the drinks, and I didn’t prefer it. Some of my drinks were not muddled as well or mixed as well and to the proper proportions as the bartender would have done. I much enjoyed the format that I had experienced on other ships where the bartending team makes the drinks. Just my opinion!

We too had the mixology class on Fantasy, on the cruise prior to OP. I had never had the format where the other guests make the drinks, and I didn’t prefer it. Some of my drinks were not muddled as well or mixed as well and to the proper proportions as the bartender would have done. I much enjoyed the format that I had experienced on other ships where the bartending team makes the drinks. Just my opinion!

Everyone has their own preferences. I would be bored in a class where the bartenders made all the drinks. Yes, not all the drinks made by your fellow class members will be made to the exact proportions, but that can also be part of the fun. In the classes I've been in, it's an ongoing joke of watching for which class member is doing the heaviest pours and then going for those drinks.

Which style class is typically offered on the Dream? The type where other group members make some of your drinks? Or are there multiple styles offered on the ship?

this is why we don't do mixology anymore... plus they have too many sweet cocktails that we dont drink - we get our preferred cocktail at Meridian to make up for it :)

Champagne and Wine tastings are our favorite tastings.

Which style class is typically offered on the Dream? The type where other group members make some of your drinks? Or are there multiple styles offered on the ship?

The Dream and the Fantasy have the class members make the drinks. I've heard (but not experienced) the classes on the Wonder have the bartenders make the drinks because the behind the bar area can't be accessed without going into crew member only areas. I suspect the Magic is the same, but do not know for sure.

I think it has to do with the layout of the bar. When I was on the Magic all the drinks were made for us, but the bar was set up that you would have to go back stage to get behind the bar. When we did it on the Dream the bar was open so you could just walk behind. I think the Wonder and Fantasy match them, but not 100% sure since I haven't been on them yet.

I liked making the drink it was fun and different. True, some of the drinks I got were not entirely proportioned but it was still good.

We did the Mixology tasting on the Fantasy last summer. The bartender made all but one drink. The last drink he asked for volunteers, and our fellow cruisers made this drink which I think was a mojito. Fun time!

1) a mojito

That's hilarious!!!

Oh man, I was so looking forward to our mixology class but I think I will cancel now that I know the other guests make the drinks. The pp who mentioned the running joke of who does the heaviest pours just makes it sound dreadful. I don't want to go there to get sloshed, I wanted to experience trying some interesting, well-made drinks. Also, the drinks sound a bit simple--was expecting something a little more creative than just a regular mojito. :(

We did Mixology on the Fantasy in April. And yes the other guests made the drinks. We somehow though always got the ones made by the bartender. Honestly it didn't matter to us who made the drinks. It was a ton of fun. It was a really great time and was def. worth the money. The drinks were not that simply. Unfortunately I don't remember what they were but there was a martini of some sort, a champagne cocktail, three other drinks and then the shot at the end which our bartender called a 'baby guiness' but is often called a very different non disney friendly name. We loved it and will do it again on the Magic in april and are a bit sad that the drinks will be made for us.

Oh man, I was so looking forward to our mixology class but I think I will cancel now that I know the other guests make the drinks. The pp who mentioned the running joke of who does the heaviest pours just makes it sound dreadful. I don't want to go there to get sloshed, I wanted to experience trying some interesting, well-made drinks. Also, the drinks sound a bit simple--was expecting something a little more creative than just a regular mojito. :(

I've done this class a couple of times the last few years and never got "sloshed" and I'm NOT a regular drinker at all, so it doesn't take much to give me a little buzz. As for mojitos? That is probably my all time favorite and I can tell you it takes a deft hand and working knowledge to get the balance of liquor, lime, mint and simple syrup just right. :cutie:

I've done this class a couple of times the last few years and never got "sloshed" and I'm NOT a regular drinker at all, so it doesn't take much to give me a little buzz. As for mojitos? That is probably my all time favorite and I can tell you it takes a deft hand and working knowledge to get the balance of liquor, lime, mint and simple syrup just right. :cutie:
The mojito class on the Magic was awesome! They had premeasured everything so the ratios were correct, and we got great instruction on muddling and the history behind the drinks and liquors. We each made our own drinks. I thought it was a perfect mix.

The mojito class on the Magic was awesome! They had premeasured everything so the ratios were correct, and we got great instruction on muddling and the history behind the drinks and liquors. We each made our own drinks. I thought it was a perfect mix.

That is TERRIFIC, TestingH2O!!! Good to know. I think the Mojito/Caiparinha (sp?) class is one of the tastings I have DH and myself signed up for in September. I hope it will be equally as great! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!