Missing the Expo for Bib pick up....

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
please tell me there is some sort of alternative way to pick up a bib if I miss the expo the day before the 5K. my work limitations will not allow me to catch a flight in time to get to the expo on a thursday in time for the 5k race on a friday. my only alternative is to go for the 10k.....EEEK. have never run in my life. and i'm doing this with two other girls that really don't want to do the 10k. please tell me there is hope!

The 10K sold out a long time ago so that is not an alternative. Others on the Board who have more direct experience will comment on the odds/chances of picking up your bib the morning of the race. I think the bottom line is that it's no sure thing but perhaps possible if you get to the staging area very early and get in the right line.

The 10K sold out a long time ago so that is not an alternative. Others on the Board who have more direct experience will comment on the odds/chances of picking up your bib the morning of the race. I think the bottom line is that it's no sure thing but perhaps possible if you get to the staging area very early and get in the right line.
i should have clarified....this is for princess 2021! just a super planner ;)

i should have clarified....this is for princess 2021! just a super planner ;)

If it’s for Princess 2021, I would suggest just registering for the 10k. During registration you agree to attend the Expo to pick up your bib and race packet. The morning of race bib pick up is unadvertised, not guaranteed and is intended for emergencies, not convenience.

If it’s for Princess 2021, I would suggest just registering for the 10k. During registration you agree to attend the Expo to pick up your bib and race packet. The morning of race bib pick up is unadvertised, not guaranteed and is intended for emergencies, not convenience.
thanks for the insight. i'll wait to see some published flight times and see what i can figure out first. should be able to truly assess before race registration. of course....this is me mainly being scared of the 10k vs the 5k.

thanks for the insight. i'll wait to see some published flight times and see what i can figure out first. should be able to truly assess before race registration. of course....this is me mainly being scared of the 10k vs the 5k.

Start training now. 10k isn’t horrible if you’re trained for it.

And start working on your boss if you decide to do the 5k. It is really best to be there for the expo. The pre-race pickup is not guaranteed and cannot be arranged ahead of time. Last year or the year before the pickup line for Princess was very very very disturbingly long. It makes an early morning even earlier. And more stressful.

my only alternative is to go for the 10k.....EEEK. have never run in my life. and i'm doing this with two other girls that really don't want to do the 10k. please tell me there is hope!

Start training now. 10k isn’t horrible if you’re trained for it.

Beyond "not horrible"...it is absolutely doable. I've put this on here before but when I started running again (after a 10+ year layoff), the most I could run was 0.25 miles!! Yes, one-quarter of a mile...440 yds. I could barely run a Par 4 before I had to stop!!! The next run, I run that plus up to the next fire hydrant - I thought I was going to die. The next run, I ran that plus up to next corner...and so on.

My point is, if you can run a 5K, you can probably run 3.5 miles, right? And if you can run 3.5 miles a few times, you can probably run 4 miles....all the way until you get to 6.2! No, it won't happen over night...and there *will* be setbacks. But there will also be days/runs where you blow it out of the water and think "Wow! That went better than I thought!". You're a super planner - you obviously can see the long-term results and not let any short-term setbacks stop you! I'm not a "super planner" but I do plan out my runs many months in advance. "Plan the run, run the plan" is my mantra.

And if you inspire your friends to join you on this journey also, just imagine how great that experience will be to share...especially when you get those 10K medals at the 2021 Princess weekend!!!

Beyond "not horrible"...it is absolutely doable. I've put this on here before but when I started running again (after a 10+ year layoff), the most I could run was 0.25 miles!! Yes, one-quarter of a mile...440 yds. I could barely run a Par 4 before I had to stop!!! The next run, I run that plus up to the next fire hydrant - I thought I was going to die. The next run, I ran that plus up to next corner...and so on.

My point is, if you can run a 5K, you can probably run 3.5 miles, right? And if you can run 3.5 miles a few times, you can probably run 4 miles....all the way until you get to 6.2! No, it won't happen over night...and there *will* be setbacks. But there will also be days/runs where you blow it out of the water and think "Wow! That went better than I thought!". You're a super planner - you obviously can see the long-term results and not let any short-term setbacks stop you! I'm not a "super planner" but I do plan out my runs many months in advance. "Plan the run, run the plan" is my mantra.

And if you inspire your friends to join you on this journey also, just imagine how great that experience will be to share...especially when you get those 10K medals at the 2021 Princess weekend!!!
i have a tiny tear in my eye. thanks for that! i'm mentally preparing right now........printed out a couch to 5k training schedule to prepare for my town's mother's day 5k! got myself a fitbit and this weekend will get some new running shoes. i'm telling myself, if i can do the 5k in May, it gives me reason to register for the 10k once the june registration opens up! here we go!

i have a tiny tear in my eye. thanks for that! i'm mentally preparing right now........printed out a couch to 5k training schedule to prepare for my town's mother's day 5k! got myself a fitbit and this weekend will get some new running shoes. i'm telling myself, if i can do the 5k in May, it gives me reason to register for the 10k once the june registration opens up! here we go!

That's great to hear! Keep us updated in "The Running Thread - 2020" (https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-running-thread-2020.3784001/)

Since you mentioned running shoes, let me offer some advice based on my experience...if you have any leg pains during your 5K training I highly recommend you consult with your local running store.

When I started back up with running, it went "well" at first. I built up to a mile (from that humbling original run of 0.25!) and I think it was around when I got to 1.5 or 2 miles, I started getting shin splints. I tried to "tough it out" but they became brutally painful. I iced my shins after each run, I did stretches before and after..I did the RICE thing (rest, ice, compression, elevation) but they just got worse. I was very discouraged. I took a couple of weeks off but that was no help. I tried new shoes - no help.

Before this gets too long - it turns out I had not only the wrong type of shoe but the wrong size, too! I bought the first pair at Dick's. The associate recommended some shoes (I picked one - New Balance - mostly based on price) and helped me determine the size. The second pair I bought were ASICS because of the cushioning and that was from Sports Authority where you basically size/fit them yourself.

On the advice of several other, I went to our local running store. They recommended a stability shoe (New Balance 860s) and to try Pinnacle inserts. Plus, they recommended I try 11.5 instead of my usual 10.5. Man! That made all the difference in the world! I ran without any shin problems from that moment. If that had not worked, I doubt I would have continued running.

I used that same model of shoe until very recently (I use a different New Balance now - still a stability shoe, though) but I still use the inserts and still no shin splints.

I know of other runners that have told me about getting relief from back ailments, IT band pain, and plantar fasciitis just buy having the correct shoe recommendation.

Now, correct shoes aren't going to perform miracles and solve every issue but if you have some early setbacks as I did, do not be discouraged. Know that there are other actions you can take from people that want to help.

(And, no, I do not own or otherwise have any financial interest in a running store :) )

That's great to hear! Keep us updated in "The Running Thread - 2020" (https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-running-thread-2020.3784001/)

Since you mentioned running shoes, let me offer some advice based on my experience...if you have any leg pains during your 5K training I highly recommend you consult with your local running store.

When I started back up with running, it went "well" at first. I built up to a mile (from that humbling original run of 0.25!) and I think it was around when I got to 1.5 or 2 miles, I started getting shin splints. I tried to "tough it out" but they became brutally painful. I iced my shins after each run, I did stretches before and after..I did the RICE thing (rest, ice, compression, elevation) but they just got worse. I was very discouraged. I took a couple of weeks off but that was no help. I tried new shoes - no help.

Before this gets too long - it turns out I had not only the wrong type of shoe but the wrong size, too! I bought the first pair at Dick's. The associate recommended some shoes (I picked one - New Balance - mostly based on price) and helped me determine the size. The second pair I bought were ASICS because of the cushioning and that was from Sports Authority where you basically size/fit them yourself.

On the advice of several other, I went to our local running store. They recommended a stability shoe (New Balance 860s) and to try Pinnacle inserts. Plus, they recommended I try 11.5 instead of my usual 10.5. Man! That made all the difference in the world! I ran without any shin problems from that moment. If that had not worked, I doubt I would have continued running.

I used that same model of shoe until very recently (I use a different New Balance now - still a stability shoe, though) but I still use the inserts and still no shin splints.

I know of other runners that have told me about getting relief from back ailments, IT band pain, and plantar fasciitis just buy having the correct shoe recommendation.

Now, correct shoes aren't going to perform miracles and solve every issue but if you have some early setbacks as I did, do not be discouraged. Know that there are other actions you can take from people that want to help.

(And, no, I do not own or otherwise have any financial interest in a running store :) )
My friend is taking me to a local running store this weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter