Minnie Van or UberXL+carseat to AKL

Heffalump12

Earning My Ears
The day after MNSSHP we have 11:30 ADR at Sanna and would like to go to HS directly afterwards. What transportation method would be the best use of our time and money? I don’t mind paying a little extra if it buys us some time. Would it benefit us more to get a Minnie Van to AKL from WL or use UberXL with carseat? Would the costs be about the same? Once at AKL we would ride the bus to HS. We have a car but we don’t want to drive and park at HS as we will be transferring to Epcot later in the day and we need to get back to WL asap after Illuminations, the next day will be an early one. Driving to AKL for lunch then going all the way back to WL to catch a bus to HS seems to waste a lot of time. Thanks so much for your input!!

Thanks so much for the info especially the rideguru link.
Uber charges a $10+ fee for a carseat and I saw where someone had mentioned that going to AKL is comparable when you are a family of 5 with small children. Also bus take too long and I’m trying to save time more than trying to save money. I did a lot of info searching before I posted thread but just wanted to see if anyone has specific experience. Thanks again!

A lot depends on the size of your party and the age of the child.

According to Google Maps, WL to AKL is 7.0 miles, so the Minnie Van fare should be $34.25.

Using the Uber app I got the following fare estimates (keep in mind that there will be some variance depending on time and day of week):
  • UberX - $11.72
  • UberXL - $17.47
  • UberX with carseat - $19.72
  • Uber XL with carseat - $25.47
None of the prices include tip.

If the child can use a booster seat, I'd consider buying something like a BubbleBum -- which can be carried in a backpack. That would not only reduce your Uber cost, but it will greatly improve availability and pickup time. There are not many UberX with carseat, and even fewer UberXL with carseat.

A lot depends on the size of your party and the age of the child.

According to Google Maps, WL to AKL is 7.0 miles, so the Minnie Van fare should be $34.25.

Using the Uber app I got the following fare estimates (keep in mind that there will be some variance depending on time and day of week):
  • UberX - $11.72
  • UberXL - $17.47
  • UberX with carseat - $19.72
  • Uber XL with carseat - $25.47
None of the prices include tip.

If the child can use a booster seat, I'd consider buying something like a BubbleBum -- which can be carried in a backpack. That would not only reduce your Uber cost, but it will greatly improve availability and pickup time. There are not many UberX with carseat, and even fewer UberXL with carseat.

That’s so very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to check out the prices. I have only used Uber once and never used Lyft so I’m not very proficient with the app. With that said, I’ve read on other threads that sometimes Lyft promo codes work with the Minnie Vans. If I can get a promo code to work, then I would definitely like to use the MVs. My son is 3 and according to Florida law he has to ride a full car seat. Do you happen know off-hand if you can reserve an Uber with carseat far in advance since the availability is limited? Although I may take a MV to AKL, I may use Uber another day. Our vacation is in 9 weeks or so. This info was great and has helped me make my decision. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

That’s so very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to check out the prices. I have only used Uber once and never used Lyft so I’m not very proficient with the app. With that said, I’ve read on other threads that sometimes Lyft promo codes work with the Minnie Vans. If I can get a promo code to work, then I would definitely like to use the MVs. My son is 3 and according to Florida law he has to ride a full car seat. Do you happen know off-hand if you can reserve an Uber with carseat far in advance since the availability is limited? Although I may take a MV to AKL, I may use Uber another day. Our vacation is in 9 weeks or so. This info was great and has helped me make my decision. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Yes, Lyft promos work with MinnieVans. However, the promo is usually only about $5 per ride -- so an MV ride will still be expensive.

I would save the MV ride for a short trip when you're not pressed from time so you can have a reasonable fare and plenty of time to relax for the photo-op. You're paying a high price for the photo-op -- make the most of it and let your son enjoy it. Don't waste it on a trip where you are scrambling to get somewhere quick.

Yes, you can schedule Uber or Lyft rides (NOT MV) -- but don't. "Scheduling" means nothing more than they dispatch the ride at a certain time. Often the ride gets dispatched WAY early, you're not ready, and you get hit with a $10 cancellation fee.

The best way to order any Uber or Lyft is to wait until you are at the pickup point, ready to get in the car, and then request the ride. And then DON'T MOVE.

That’s great advice as I haven’t thought of adding time for photo ops. However this will be the only time we will need a taxi like service during the day. We have enough time before the ADR so that won’t be a problem. I was just worried about saving time afterwards.

The more I think about it, I’ll probably use the MVs for the other time I want to use this type if transportation. I didn’t mention the fact that I also have a 7 yr old who needs a booster. Although I love the suggestion of the travel booster, I don’t want to lug it around all day and have to mess with inflating it. It’s $30 so if you add the cost of the travel booster plus the $10 carseat charge each trip, I think we will be better off just getting the MV each time. Another thing you mentioned that helps sway me in this direction is the limited availability of Uber Family and the lack of confidence that they will show up on time if I preschedule a pick-up. Thanks again for the info, it’s really helped a lot.

It sure would be nice if Disney wasn’t charging a $20/day for parking or I would use this option more than twice.

I didn’t mention the fact that I also have a 7 yr old who needs a booster.
Florida law does NOT require a booster for a 7 year old. Car seat/booster requirements only apply to children 6 and younger.

If you want to use one, that's fine, but it's not required under Florida law. The only requirement for a 7 y/o is they must wear a seat belt no matter where they are sitting.

True however when it comes to the safety of my child, I’m not letting a loose law (Florida is behind other states) make that decision. Just a few facts that most parents don’t know;

» Seat belts don't fit children properly until they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall and weigh between 80 and 100 pounds.
» Children who should be in booster seats but wear only seat belts are at risk of severe abdominal, head and spinal injuries in the event of a crash.
» Booster seats can reduce the risk of serious injury by 45 percent compared to seat belts alone.

If it’s required in my state then she’s going to have one in other states. Heck I’m 5’1” and often wonder if a seat belt fits me right. 😄

We've used Uber with car seat a few times.
Keep in mind they aren't always available - there aren't very many of them.
I'd go with the Uber and if none are available then choose the Minnie Van.

True however when it comes to the safety of my child, I’m not letting a loose law (Florida is behind other states) make that decision. Just a few facts that most parents don’t know;

» Seat belts don't fit children properly until they are at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall and weigh between 80 and 100 pounds.
» Children who should be in booster seats but wear only seat belts are at risk of severe abdominal, head and spinal injuries in the event of a crash.
» Booster seats can reduce the risk of serious injury by 45 percent compared to seat belts alone.

If it’s required in my state then she’s going to have one in other states. Heck I’m 5’1” and often wonder if a seat belt fits me right. 😄
Sure, the child's safety is obviously paramount. I was just letting you know what the legal requirement was.

Sure, the child's safety is obviously paramount. I was just letting you know what the legal requirement was.

Thank you so much! You’ve been awesome! I was initially worried about cost and time but that was before I knew reliability and availability was an issue, I’ll gladly pay extra to not stress over those two factors.

Another option:
Drive to Epcot
Park
Bus from Epcot to AKL
Your choice of transportation to DHS
Boat, bus, walk from DHS to Epcot
Enjoy IllumiNations
Walk out of Epcot to car
Drive to WL.
It sure would be nice if Disney wasn’t charging a $20/day for parking or I would use this option more than twice.
For parking where? You are charged per night for parking at your resort. As an onsite guest, you are charged $0.00 to park at the parks. I guess I am really :confused3 how the parking fee affects choice of transportation mode.

Yes, anyone who books a stay at a Disney Resort after March 21, 2018 has to pay a nightly parking fee. The more expensive the resort, the higher the charge.

Given that the gondola system will not be working during our trip we have decided to drive our own car this particular day since we have several stops. However, there are two other times we will want a taxi like service and we will choose to go with Minnie Van since we need to seats and can rely on them to be where they say they will be when we need them. Plus being driven by a CM will be enjoyable since this is our first trip. Next trip oldest child won’t need booster and youngest child can use travel booster, thus we will definitely use Uber/Lyft. Thanks for the input everyone!

The only parking you pay for is overnight at your resort ($25 per night for deluxe). Parking at other resorts and at the theme parks is free. If you have your own car, that would be the best option, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter