Minimum Age for Kids?

Tam1067

LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly
Hi everyone. I'm SO glad this is here because I just got my brochure for the ABD today...how appropriate.

Anyway, I'd love to do this for next summer when my youngest will be five. The "official" line is kids have to be four to go on the trip, but some activities have restrictions and the kids need to be six. I'm just wondering, does anyone have first hand experience with a child younger than six on one of these trips?

I'm looking at Italy, Ireland, or Costa Rica (though the latter sounds the toughest for a little one).

I'm wondering if I should wait until summer 2008 and just do a Disney cruise in 2007 instead. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Tam1067,

I just returned from the Viva Italia trip. The youngest adventurer turned 9 while on this trip.

I can tell you that this was a high energy guided tour. The two Adventure guides made sure that the children were always involved and that each activity was tailored to there needs. Many times the kids were doing something more age appropriate. (ex...adults at a wine tasting...kids at a gelato tasting).

I guess my best answer would be that you probably know your 6 year old better than anyone. You (and your kids) would be very busy and traveling with an entirely new group of people.

I can also tell you that the guides were terrific when offering people the opportunity to opt out of any activity. If you were tired, not feeling well or not interested in participating, the guides offered to make sure that you had appropriate (and safe) transportation back to your hotel.

We felt that Disney did everything in their power to make sure each guest was comfotable and happy.

Kevin

I do know that our London/Paris had a very young child and the father did have to carry her quite a bit. There was a LOT of walking involved and many steps to climb. Not sure how much she would get out of it from an historical standpoint. Don't get me wrong - we LOVED our trip, but if it were my nickel I would opt for the cruise next year and ABD the following year. Much more young child attractive things on the cruise. As the website for ABD says, there are various age restrictions on different tours, but again you know your child better than anyone. If the reception of these tours continues, I am sure there will be an even greater choice in 2008.

Tam1067 said:
I'm looking at Italy, Ireland, or Costa Rica (though the latter sounds the toughest for a little one).
Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.
We took our then 4 year old to Costa Rica in 2005 (not with Disney) but, she had a terrific time! River rafting, ziplines, snorkeling, etc. However, our best friends brought their 4 year old too and she was frightened of all of those activities. It really depends on the personality of your child.

Last April we visited Ireland with our now 5 year old and as she is an easy traveler, had a great time. Of course, it was much more sedate and geared toward history, but the Irish are VERY accomodating to children and everywhere we went, she received special attention or gifts.

Good luck!

We're just beginning to think about an adventure by Disney for 2008. We're thinking either Spain or Italy. My DD would be 6 then and one of my concerns would be how quickly she'd get worn out...it's great to hear that separate activities are planned for kids though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!