Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Good for you to have your race strategies all worked out. I still need to review mine with coach, but somehow I told myself I'll do that after the last long run.

I also have no concrete costume plan yet. It may never evolve into one unless I decide to run with a lightsaber. Or maybe this time I won't leave the Yoda backpack in my room for the 5K. Or maybe I'll trade my Yoda training Batman mashup from Avengers 2017 for Yoda training Prince Philip. I do have tentative plans for cold weather running though.

I'm beginning to think that at some point in marathon training, we hit a point where we hate running. And then we question why we signed up for the marathon in the first place and then somehow fight our way through until we decide that we actually enjoy it again.

So what were your thoughts on Crimes of Grindelwald?

I love your costume plans but especially that Minnie mouse one!!

I pretty much always reach a point in training where I'm over it all. I think giving yourself some flexibility and variability in your routes could be a great way to keep yourself going.

It's almost time!! Hope I get a chance to meet you during the weekend.

Good for you to have your race strategies all worked out. I still need to review mine with coach, but somehow I told myself I'll do that after the last long run.

Thanks! I pretty much went into training with a vague idea of what my race strategies would be, so it was easy to finalize them - it was just a matter of trying to figure out if my original plan would still work, and if I didn't think it would, coming up with an alternate option.
I'm sure you coach will come up with some great race strategies to keep you running strong!

I also have no concrete costume plan yet. It may never evolve into one unless I decide to run with a lightsaber. Or maybe this time I won't leave the Yoda backpack in my room for the 5K. Or maybe I'll trade my Yoda training Batman mashup from Avengers 2017 for Yoda training Prince Philip. I do have tentative plans for cold weather running though.

Do they let you run with a lightsaber? That would be fun. And I like the idea of Yoda training Prince Philip ... especially if Aurora is out on the course for pictures!
I haven't thought about cold weather options yet ...but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I'm used to cold. I ran in three shirts today (although part of that was not wanting my bottom shirt layer to get wet).

I'm beginning to think that at some point in marathon training, we hit a point where we hate running. And then we question why we signed up for the marathon in the first place and then somehow fight our way through until we decide that we actually enjoy it again.

Hmm. I hear that. But if this is the norm, I'm not sure marathon running is for me. I don't have the patience to wait for the enjoying part to come again. Hating running isn't something that's easy for me to come back from. But we'll see.

So what were your thoughts on Crimes of Grindelwald?

I liked it, but not as much as the first one.
I definitely don't believe Grindlewald's thing about Credence being a Dumbledore. That just seemed like BS.
I also thought they were trying to tell a lot of stories all at once and they weren't always so successful in giving each story the proper amount of time. But that's probably just because there was a lot of backstory they needed to establish.
But I liked Jude Law and Dumbledore. And I definitely enjoyed it. I just wasn't enthralled by it like I was with the first one.

I love your costume plans but especially that Minnie mouse one!!

Thanks! I think the Minnie Mouse is my favorite too :)

I pretty much always reach a point in training where I'm over it all. I think giving yourself some flexibility and variability in your routes could be a great way to keep yourself going.

I try to avoid that "over it" feeling by keeping my plans short, but it didn't work this time. Hopefully the flexibility and variety will help - so far it seems to be good!

It's almost time!! Hope I get a chance to meet you during the weekend.

Yay! I don't think I'll make it to any of the big meetups, but (character lines permitting) I want to try to make it to the pre-race meetups, and maybe I'll hit-and-run DATW, so hopefully I will get to meet you at some point!

Do they let you run with a lightsaber? That would be fun. And I like the idea of Yoda training Prince Philip ... especially if Aurora is out on the course for pictures!
Oh now that would be amazing. Maybe even worth risking a sweep in the 10K for. The Yoda backpack is not happening in the half. I ran with Yoda during the 2017 Avengers and it drove me crazy. I was constantly readjusting the backpack straps. I just don't want to put up with that for a longer distance.

And yes they've always let me run with a lightsaber. I prefer the collapsible plastic toy ones and a belt clip is absolutely necessary so I don't need to be holding it for the entire race. I did that once during a 10K and decided never again.

Hmm. I hear that. But if this is the norm, I'm not sure marathon running is for me. I don't have the patience to wait for the enjoying part to come again. Hating running isn't something that's easy for me to come back from. But we'll see.
I get that. I'm definitely looking forward to running less. I'll decide my ultimate feelings about the marathon in January.

Oh now that would be amazing. Maybe even worth risking a sweep in the 10K for. The Yoda backpack is not happening in the half. I ran with Yoda during the 2017 Avengers and it drove me crazy. I was constantly readjusting the backpack straps. I just don't want to put up with that for a longer distance.

I will make sure to think good thoughts for an Aurora stop during the 10K - hopefully one either with a really short line or past the sweep point (although if there is one, it will likely be in France).
I can't imagine running a 10K with the backpack ... so I definitely get not wanting to do it for the half.

And yes they've always let me run with a lightsaber. I prefer the collapsible plastic toy ones and a belt clip is absolutely necessary so I don't need to be holding it for the entire race. I did that once during a 10K and decided never again.

Cool! I did not know they allowed lightsabers. That's fun.
But yeah ... I don't know that I'd want to hold it for the entire race either. I hold my big water bottle for long races and it's really annoying. So I definitely get needed a belt clip :)

I get that. I'm definitely looking forward to running less. I'll decide my ultimate feelings about the marathon in January.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. A few of my friends are 100% convinced that I'm running NYC next year. My attitude is "we'll see what happens in January." This training has been really hard on me and I don't know that I want to go through it again.

---

DISNEY UPDATE UPDATE:
So ... I know I said I wanted to post an update about my Disney plans in case anyone wanted to try to track me down/meet up (since I don't know if I'll be hitting any of the formal meetups). That update's gonna have to wait. Long story short, work has been busy, and I just booked a trip to Vegas for next week (xmas in Vegas ... I'm super classy), so I'm focused on those two things right now. After I get back from Vegas I'm going to spend the weekend with my sister (even though I will have just spent 3 days in Vegas with her), and then I have a few days before I go back to work, so hopefully I'll have time for it then.
So ... there will be some sort of update eventually. Even if it just ends up being screenshots of my FP+ :).

Last edited:

Vegas!!! I love Vegas and 3 days is the perfect amount of time IMO. I'm usually sick of it by then. :)

Good to know. I was hoping 3 days would be a good length for the vacation.

Have fun in Vegas!!

And I totally agree, 3 days is the perfect amount.

Thanks!

Looks like we'll be in Vegas at the same time. We're there from Sunday to Friday next week. Can't wait for some great food, drink, and entertainment.

Yep, we're overlapping. We get in late Monday morning and leave Wednesday night. Maybe we'll run into each other!
It's my first time, so I'm excited to see what it's all about.

I’ve been to Vegas once. I’m not a gambler, but I still had so much fun visiting all the resorts. I’d like to go back. RNR Vegas is on my bucket list.

I will disagree with this as a person who lived there, only because there are SO MANY hidden gems that exist away from the Strip! I could take you to some awesome places!

This is fair, I'm sure. We mostly stay around the strip and I should say that 3 days on the STRIP is enough for me.

We ate at an incredible restaurant though this last time off the strip in Tivoli Village. Echo and Rig. Amazing!!!

Have fun in Vegas!

Thanks!

I’ve been to Vegas once. I’m not a gambler, but I still had so much fun visiting all the resorts. I’d like to go back. RNR Vegas is on my bucket list.

I dont think we're gonna gamble much (if at all), but I'm really excited to see all the resorts.

ACK! I will just be missing you! We are heading up to Vegas on Friday and leaving Sunday night. :(

Stay an extra day!!!!!
If you cant do that, then I guess I'll have to wait until January to see you :(

I will make sure to think good thoughts for an Aurora stop during the 10K - hopefully one either with a really short line or past the sweep point (although if there is one, it will likely be in France).
That's my guess too. Honestly, I'm not expecting it. That way I can't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. Or else it will be during the half or full and I'm not wearing the Prince Phillip shirt during those races as it isn't as comfortable on long runs.

But yeah ... I don't know that I'd want to hold it for the entire race either. I hold my big water bottle for long races and it's really annoying. So I definitely get needed a belt clip
Sometimes I wish I could run without a belt, but then again my current belt holds a decent amount of stuff which comes in handy.

This training has been really hard on me and I don't know that I want to go through it again.
I understand that. My motivation to get out there now when I don't want to is the marathon is coming and I will have plenty of time after the marathon to not go running. I feel like so much of my time is taken up by training.

Long story short, work has been busy, and I just booked a trip to Vegas for next week (xmas in Vegas ... I'm super classy), so I'm focused on those two things right now.
I've been threatening to figure out my park plans for weeks now. But soon enough I'll either have to do something or just decide to play it by ear aside from my FP+ times. Have fun on your trip.

I’m such a donkey and completely forgot to wish you and your family a Happy Chanukah earlier this month. My neighbor has the cutest Disney Menorah and I immediately thought of you then forgot. I swear my brain is like Swiss cheese right now....full of holes.

I’m such a donkey and completely forgot to wish you and your family a Happy Chanukah earlier this month. My neighbor has the cutest Disney Menorah and I immediately thought of you then forgot. I swear my brain is like Swiss cheese right now....full of holes.

And from me too!! Happy Chanukah!

Sometimes I wish I could run without a belt, but then again my current belt holds a decent amount of stuff which comes in handy.

Yeah, the belt is pretty helpful. I have two of them, and while I sometimes run without them, I like the convenience. But one of my belts doesn't have room for a water bottle, it's just for stuff, so with that one I carry a water bottle.

I understand that. My motivation to get out there now when I don't want to is the marathon is coming and I will have plenty of time after the marathon to not go running. I feel like so much of my time is taken up by training.

I have another race coming up a few months after the marathon, so I don't have that luxury. So I just want to not run now. It's a problem for sure.

I've been threatening to figure out my park plans for weeks now. But soon enough I'll either have to do something or just decide to play it by ear aside from my FP+ times. Have fun on your trip.

Well, you still have like 2.5 weeks.
Thanks!

No worries, this is a hard time of year to remember things. Thanks for remembering now! And tell me more about this Disney Menorah ... (I just use a boring highly flammable wooden one that I made in kindergarten)

And from me too!! Happy Chanukah!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter