Milkshake at Portofino......

SpideyHulk24

Secretly has the hots for Jennifer Garner and love
I wasn't sure which restaurant it was but I read on this board that one of the restaurants at Portofino (Trattoria or Mama Della's) has a milkshake that is to die for. Which restaurant is it and what is the milkshake? I forgot, but I want to say it was a marshmallow milkshake...Is that right?

Thanks again!!!!

Hey Spidey, you can get that marshmallow milkshake at both restaurants you listed! Its a tradition with us for every trip now! We even had it once ordering room service. Enjoy!

When I hear something on these boards that interests me for my next trip I copy and paste it into a text doc. I have been doing this since 1999 and I have PAGES! I'm thinking you have to be doing the same ;)

How did I know you would be the one to respond???? And you read my mind. I am saving a document that I just keep adding info to for our trips. My wife laughs, but when I tell something she didn't know, she responds with "Wow those disboards really do know alot!!!!"

You are so welcome! On our first trip back to Universal as a family after IOA had opened I stumbled onto this board. I was like a kid in a candy shop (okay so I still am). I couldnt feed my addiction fast enough I had to know more more more. My husband would sit watching TV as I compiled my master plans for our trip. He would comment every now and again or mutter something under his breath about what I was doing. Well, we went on that trip and every trip since its at his insistance that I keep learning more more more! Those notes sure do come in handy! Have fun making them and planning, its almost as fun as the trip itself.

Jessica,

I just had my wife come over and read your post. It was unbelievable. I went through the same thing. She responded with "There are more like you????" and laughed. She actually likes the fact that I am always on here. It makes our trips more fufilling with all the knowledge I gained. By the way Jess, haven't you stayed at all three resorts? Also, how long ago?

I ask because we have stayed at RPR and loved it, but next year want to stay at the HRH. I have been reading great reviews about the resort until recently. Any thoughts?

Thanks again. You are such a wealth of knowledge!!!! Really.

When I grow up, I want to be as smart as you!!!! ;)

Too funny! Yes, there are many like us here I suspect, not a bad thing though, right?
I have avoided your HRH post :( I dont want to ever persuade anyone from trying something different especially since we should all form our own opinions through personal experiences. However, you asked! The following is just my opinion, I know so many here LOVE this hotel. Thats why variety is the spice of life!

Yes I have stayed at all 3. Portofino 4-5 times, Hard Rock 2 times and Royal Pacific once most recently. I feel like HRH rides along on its name. I dont feel that they give the Loews First program much consideration. I think they sing to their own tune.

I do not dislike Hard Rock but it falls out last on my list. I will plan a trip there again for the sake of change since we visit so often. I would not stay more than a couple/few days and if that were the case I would split my stay as we have done in the past. I guess for me it comes down to the way a place makes me feel overall. Hard Rock was cool and the rooms we stayed in were great. We stayed one time in a standard and another in a deluxe. I never got the feeling I get when staying at Portofino and RPR.

Before I go further I want you to know that Portofino was our first Universal onsite stay and that really plays a part. Maybe if Hard Rock was first I would feel differently? I dont know. I think not since we recently stayed at RPR and those same feelings I get at Portofino were found there as well. When we stayed at HRH first trip (7) nights we walked over to Portofino the night before we were to head home and aded 3 more nights so we could end our trip there. Although we missed Portofino in June I didnt feel the need to change my stay and RPR was so very impressive we left happy! Or as happy as anyone can be ending a vacation.

Okay as to why I feel the way I do, they are both tangible and intangible. During both stays one in 2001 the other in 2002 they dismissed my requests at check-in (it was off season). I have no problem if the hotel is full and they cant meet my requests but that wasnt the case. They really just didnt care to try. I also dont think the Loews First carries as much clout there as it seems to at the other 2. Again maybe because they are their own entity. We had poor housekeeping and more than one night came back to an uncleaned room, yes a call to housekeeping would have made it right but not at 10P. If it was one time its excusable but not twice during our stay.

I dont find the restaurant options fulfilling as choices. I had a very bad experience at the Palm and walked out. When we went to the hotel manager we were told Hard Rock doesnt own the Palm. My response to that is yeah but its in "your" hotel. The first stay the Sunset Grill was fabulous! I think we ate there over 5 times. After that something happened and it hasnt been the same since.I dont like being limited and I feel that way at HRH. Lots of food options at Portofino and RPR and I have never been treated rudely.

Pool area seems to always be so busy and finding a group of 4 chairs was work! The hot tubs were the same always full. I solve that at Portofino cause they have 3 pools and 3 hot tubs. RPR has a bigger pool never a problem getting a chair and that was during summer months.

This next part matters to me but probably doesnt to others. I like my suites!! I'm spoiled I admit it! I cant seem to get the upgrade at HRH and always have at the other 2. I think they are harder to come by due to famous people wanting to stay there over the other 2. I could be wrong just my impression. Again this relates back to the whole Loews First opinion. Maybe its just that they have less overall. But honestly if I can get a suite at RPR or Portofino thats where I will be. BTW, I dont expect them and I dont go using an ER and hope for the upgrade.

Bottom line I am on vacation and I am paying to be there not at a Holiday Inn. I want to feel special and I just dont when at HRH.

The little things:
Having concierge call us to see if there is anything we need or desire. Having my kids fawned over. Getting a smile or a wave or a good morning as we walk by. Turn down service every night and a small gift on the pillow, even if its a chocolate, it makes me smile what can I say. The sprawling grounds at RPR and PBH. Lots of nooks and crannies for the kids and us to explore. Ice cream parlors! We like our ice cream. The boat ride back as Portofino Bay comes into sight in the evening. Coffee out on the piazza as the boys play with the other children. But I digress!! As usual! This is not about why I choose the others its about why I dont pick HRH first.

Okay no now that I have written a small novel its with great trepidation that I hit "submit reply". Honestly please please dont make a decision based on my feelings...Go have a great time and form some of your own.

Oh and one more thing! We are planning a trip for December and we will be spending some time (2-3 nights) at Hard Rock once again. Cant be all that bad then right! I am in hopes that I will feel differently and can change my opinion! 3 times the charm, maybe.

I think Jessica said it well. I have only stayed at the HRH and I did enjoy it, but I didn't feel "special" at all. There was something missing, but I can't put my finger on just what. I agree that the check in desk doesn't really even seem to consider your requests, they just say no and move on. There were not really a lot of smiles. On club level, the Concierges - especially the men - seemed too "cool" and acted like they were doing you a big favor by listening to you!

But, I did think the grounds and actual hotel were beautiful and I love all the memoribilia (sp). And, we loved the pool - but agree that it was hard to find lounges and crowded.

When we are at the Royal Pacific in a couple months, I hope to feel that something "special" that was missing at the Hard Rock.

I'd just like to chime in with a THIRD on what Jessica's thoughts are. We had a similar exp with HRH and i have a guest cirt to go back it was so alwful. Which BTW i have yet to use! And honest no plans to use it. I love PBH just everything like Jessica mentioned keeps me there. Weather i'm with my husband or down with our Triplet girls and 11 yo dd it just works for us. Hope you give it a whirl it's like night and day the experiece.

JessicaR-

When in December are you going to be at HRH?

We'll be there too, and maybe we can send some pixie dust your way.

Good luck..... :wave:

Just had to reply and say that I do the same thing, SpideyHulk24 and JessicaR, in regards to keeping a document full of notes. I use Excel instead of Word and I do this every time I plan a trip of any kind.

I have several tabs with different things on them:
- I have a tab with estimated pricing calculated out, itemized by expense.
- Since I plan to drive, I have a tab with driving directions. I use MapQuest to get the directions, but I like to translate them into a format that’s easier for me to follow while I'm trying to drive. And I include other travel related info as well, and use Excel to calculate out an estimated travel time based on expected driving speed on the different roads and the # of miles I’ll be on them. It’s usually been pretty accurate.
- I have a tab with a copy of the calendars for the Disney parks for September. I don't plan to go until September 2004, but the hours will probably be the same or close. I have the early entry days of the week highlighted for reference on each park's calendar.
- I have a tab with the Disney parks' early entry attractions listed for easy reference.
- I have a tab listing all the attractions at the first park I plan to hit, ranked according to how important it is to me to see them so that I can prioritize. I'll slowly do the same thing for all the parks I plan to go to.
- I have a tab with a tentative daily schedule showing, among other things, which parks I plan to hit on which days and what time I want to try to be at the parks.
- I have a tab where I’ve been recording any questions that come up that I can’t immediately find the answer to. I asked quite a few of the Universal related ones on here a while back, and most of the rest of them I’ve found answers on my own over time.
- I have a tab of To Do’s and Notes, with separate sections for Trip Planning, Stuff to Pack, Driving Information, Hotel Information, Stuff to Bring in Parks, Disney Theme Park Info, and Universal Theme Park Info. That’s where I make notes of anything interesting I happen to catch on a web site or message board. A quick copy and paste into the right section, and that valuable tidbit of info is safe and sound and easy to find.

A few minutes out of my day here and there, and by the time I’m ready to leave in about 13 months I’ll be much more prepared than I would have been without that planning.

I’m finding the HRH posts interesting, too, as that was my first choice for where to stay for the Universal portion of my trip. I’ll admit I’ve been swayed slightly by some of the recent posts, but I’m not going to make any quick decisions because I have plenty of time before my trip. If nothing else, since this will be my first trip to Universal, it might be the best time for me to stay at HRH since I won’t have any expectations built up from other resorts. And since I’ll probably be doing a value resort at Disney before moving to Universal, it can only get better no matter where I stay. My biggest concern in what I’ve read is with the pool depth. I’m not sure how much swimming I’ll actually do, but I do like to swim and figured I’d be doing more of that at Universal with the shorter hours. The underwater music sparked my interest when I first read about it, and I’ll admit it influenced my choice quite a bit even though it’s kind of a minor thing to consider when picking a resort. I know I could pool hop, but I know myself and I suspect I’ll more likely just swim at my own resort. I’ve seen it asked several times, but haven’t seen any answers yet… how deep are the pools at the other resorts? Also, how far of a walk is it between resorts or do you have to take a bus or drive?

Brook

I thought I was thorough Brook!!! LOL.... I love the stuff you do. It's all part of the fun isn't it?

Jessica and everyone else,

Thank you for your honest opinion. I really take all the reviews in consideration, but I will definitely form my own opinions. I want to stay at the HRH really bad, so I will wait and decide as I have a while before my trip too. My only concern right now is the service. I saw the resort on my last trip, so I know it's beautiful, but if housekeeping is not going to clean my room until 4 and front desk is going to act like they are doing me a favor, then that concerns me....especially at a 4 1/2 star resort.

Thanks again!

Jessica - I also comb these boards for many tips and valuable information, my family thinks I crazy until we get there and I use all the informaiton. We stayed at HRH hotel this summer, loved it, but like you said we not treated special. We visited RPH and are thinking of staying there except I think the room size is smaller than HRH hotel and I have 3 children. The five of us fit fine at HRH. Are room was cleaned right after lunch. I am so bad that I forgot about turndown service. We first stayed at the swan and then switched over to HRH. HRH did treat us better than the swan. We had a problem with our rooms at HRH and the manager founds us 2 rooms close to the elevators and gave us free passes for breakfast. He was very nice, but the front desk staff was just ok except for Christine. She was very informative and tried to go of her way for us. Still debating which resort to stay at next year. Hope your stay in Dec in better.
Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter