Mike - Two and Two kids please, Day7...Universal Studios ..or "Make that flex-ticket

UK Valerie

TRUST NO-ONE
Two and Two kids please, Day7...Universal Studios ..or "Make that flex-ticket work!!

Day 7 dawned nice and sunny....my legs were exhausted...I'm sure I'm about 3" shorter than when we started the holiday what with all the walking, but since DW and the kids were raring to go we headed for a fortifying breakfast at Sizzlers..same as yesterday!!
Our aspiring actress Paula was nowhere to be seen , perhaps some director chanced upon her and realised her abilities , or maybe it was her day off....either way I'm proud to say we did justice again to the breakfast
buffet...BTW the server asked if we had "kewpohns"which I took to mean coupons..when I said "No", she produced one for me!!!! 10% off and a
guaranteed good tip!! I like Sizzlers even more now.
Suitably refreshed we waddled to the car , eased ourselves in and aimed for the hidden entrances to Universal, they really could do with more signs, or else go for the Disney style garish colours...can't miss them!!
Very few cars in the queue, so we parted with another $7 parking and were directed to HULK 215.....PLEASE remember to write the zone down when you go
, the Universal car-parks are faceless and you WILL FORGET where you parked.....I know this to be a fact!!!!
The Hulk zone was even further from the entrance gates than Kong was (on our previous visit to IOA ) and 2 of the moving walkways weren't moving.....I was
well happy by the time we got to the entrance , my legs were reminding me of their age! Puzzled looks by the staff at our over-stamped tickets (bearing the legend "valid for 14 days " ) were rewarded by a stare from Daddy sore-feet that convinced them to ask no questions and in we went...I have to say that Disney
really are the masters in PR, the rest are a fair way off the mark!
By now it was nearly 10 a.m. and we headed through the front lot and straight on towards Terminator 3-D...we thought (wrongly) that there may be big queues
and we could use our Express Pass to get in quick ...throughout the day we never queued for more than 3-4 minutes!! Into the front entrance of T3-D and
straight to the pre-show which was fun in itself.....we got seats middle and centre in the theatre which was only just half-full! The show was terrific , a fascinating mix of live action and 3-D. I won't spoil your enjoyment of the show but you WILL get wet.....and there are a few loud live explosions and bangs which could upset younger ones , although our two at ages 7 & 9 absolutely loved it ..Callum loved being so involved , he thought it was "interactive "....not a word I recall using at 7 years! The obligatory shop attached to T3-D is also
well above average and had some very tasty items ..I really fancied the Arnie type studded leather jacket until Juliet pointed out that while it looked good in T3-D , I should reconsider the implications of wearing a studded leather jacket for a night in the North-East of England .......point taken!
Next up was MIB, this is at the very top of the park but Universal is pretty compact , so off we trooped . Again we went straight in and up to the loading area...the cars are for 6 people and I didn't really want to share with strangers..how can you act like a kid in front of 'em ?..but we were put in a car of our own!! Yahhooo! this meant I could arm-wrestle Callum ... winner gets 2 guns to fire!! I won !! Off we zoomed and had a GREAT time...this really is a fantastic ride , the basic idea is to kill aliens but there's lots more to it than that and I'll give this a solid 10/10 in all departments, it looks good , it rides good and it leaves you with a big smile on your face. we did it 4 times in a row, and
on each occasion the boys let the girls get the highest score....or so we told them . After the final go , DW let me in on the secret of why the girls won....there are 2 secrets, I won't tell you what they are but LISTEN to what Will Smith says during the ride......!!!
Having destroyed all the aliens in the known universe we aimed for Back to The Future, about 150 yards from MIB. All I can say is if you want to have your spine damaged irreparably and suffer sever whiplash trauma this is indeed the ride for you. Personally I'd rather kiss Anne Widdecombe under the mistletoe than subject myself to this "ride" again. Luckily we were in the rear of the DeLorean car so we were afforded some neck protection but this is the most brutal 4 minutes I've ever spent. The ride really bangs you about and the family
in the front had a 4/5 year-old who was very upset all the way through it..........NEVER AGAIN.
On leaving BTTF I needed a sit-down to recover ( on the plus side it certainly made me forget about my aching legs!! ) .....while I did this my DW and kids went off to do the ET ride. back they came about 10 minutes later smiling profusely, and insisting I go on with them. Reluctantly I agreed, and I'm pleased I did . ET is such a feel-good ride, the walk through the forest is a little spooky for young 'uns but the ride itself is good fun. No surprises at all if you've watched the movie , but well worth doing! I did however resist the offer to go on
it again, plenty of things still to do!
We ( remember, dear readers, that "we" invariably means "me" ) decided that a visit to Mel's Drive-In was in order to have a drink. Outside there are a few 50's
style cars which set the tone, and there was a Marilyn Monroe look-alike in a revealing dress which firmed up my decision to go there!! The kids and myself had milk-shakes, while DW had coffee(boring). i must ahve gazed at Miss Monroe too long because DW got up , went over to her and brought her over towards us. I froze!!!! DW had told her how much I admired her movies (yeah,
right!..her MOVIES!!) and would she please pose me with me.....Embarrassed or what!? She puckered up while DW (soon to be D ex-W ) took a photo , I ended
up with a big red lipstick kiss on my face and a terminal case of wanting to die on the spot.When Marilyn departed my DW laughed at my scarlet blushing face
and told me it served me right for staring at young ladies.....I suppose she was right.......
By now it was nearly 12 noon so we headed for The WildWildWildWest Stunt show. This was excellent, and its worth while getting there early for the pre-show . We got 15 minutes of 3 guys as the Marx Brothers and this was slap-stick at its best!! They were value in their own right......The WWWWS show was brilliant , plenty of humour and thrills with some top-class stunts thrown in
for good measure. In all the show occupied a good 45 minutes of our time and the kids had their photos taken with the stars of the show who really did take time out to talk to everyone. A definite must see !!
Leaving The WWWWS show we went past JAWS ...closed for refurbishment!!!!!!!....intending to do Earthquake but detoured to catch the Blues Brothers Xmas Show. The guy who plays John Belushi looks more like John Belushi than John Belushi did ( are you follwing this?). This was entertainment !!... and DW and I were soon singing along despite the s******s of our two brats, yeah , let's see if they ever have a STEPS or 5IVE show anywhere in 20 years time!! The finale was loads of snow falling which we were in the middle of , DD caught some on her tongue and realised it wasn't snow
.....heh, heh, now s****** Miss Soapy Mouth.
We joined the queue(!) for Kongfrontation....now I don't know what I expected but I was a bit disappointed with this ride. True , the ride is colourful and Kong himself mighty impressive but it didn't have any pzzazz to it . I've read that you need a really good tram driver to bring it to life , our guy seemed like he'd done
it a 1000 times before ..he probably had ... so maybe that's why it seemed to lack any sparkle, shame because everthing about the ride looks so good.
Off we trooped towards Earthquake, The Big One.......another ride I'd seen on many T.V.Travel shows and one I was looking forward to. The entry hall was
half-full and our CM was asking for volunteers to play as extras...this seemed like a very good time to bend down and attend to my suddenly aching legs, and I manfully resisted to respond to my DW's taunts to "stop being a wussy and get up and volunteer " To my horror DS put his hand up to volunteer as an extra....no child of mine , that boy! and he was picked AAARRGGHHHH!!!!!!
Would I ever see him again, certainly not if it involved volunteering, I thought to myself.
Trooping in to the pre-show we were given front row seats as families of the "stars"...Good old Callum!..hope he survives! The pre-show was so corny that pigeons could have eaten it...but thoroughly enjoyable and DS played a rope-puller as if he were born to the task! We then got into the subway cars and the real fun began. Once the earthquake hits you really believe it's happening ...Bangs, Erupting walls and floors, floods of water Hey, the whole 10 yards( very American, eh ? ). There were one or two screams being emitted , it was
THAT good. Brilliant ride , following a suitably corny but fun pre-show!!! 10/10.
Lunch beckoned and we ambled down to the MONSTERS CAFE. Like the sci-fi theatre the Monsters Cafe shows horror movie clips but on T.V. screens , I liked this place a lot. Self-service but with first rate staff who were well into the theme of the place, the kids had a pasta (Emilia) and burger(Callum) DW and myself shared a pasta dish and a salad . With the usual soft drinks , two kids desserts and a shared Apple Pie & Ice Cream of frightening proportions ( it even drew admiring comments from hardened Americans!! ) the bill came to an outstandingly bargain price of $33 and change....the apples alone must have cost that much to buy!!
Now I was beginnig to realise why my legs were hurting , it's the strain they're bearing with all of this food!
Deciding that a stroll might be in order we slowly, and I do mean slowly, wandered past Kong and toward the closed for refubishment Jaws. We found amidway there , which in essence is a funfair with "knock-down 3 cans and win " types of games. There was a really funny guy declaring from his stall that he could gues your weight, tell your age or guess the month you were born.We watched him for a while before DW suggested I have a go...at this point I was not physically able to bend down and do my sore leg routine courtesy of
Monsters Cafe.....and my DD pleaded since one of the prizes was Charizard(Pokemon for the un-cultured among you ! ) I must admit it was a pretty nifty Charizard and I'm like all dads when their DD look at them in that "if you loved me , you would " way so up I trotted, sort of !Handing over my $3 I was subjected to the usual ridicule the paying customer receives by Mr. Smarty-Pants...it's never so humorous when you're the butt , is it? I said I'd go for the Guess the weight option, and it was nort best impressed when he said it
might take a little longer than usual to walk around me !! After surveying me for an eternity he said " I'll go for 235 pounds, sir " Even DW was astounded that I
didn't hit him there & then ! And before you ask I got on the scales...197 pounds, so there ! Wow, he said, you're not as fat as you look sir....what is the
penalty for killing side-show owners ? Anyway , DD was well impressed with Charizard....then DS asked "what about me?" I opted for knocking down cans
and to his sheer delight and my total amazement I did it first time and won him a Taz Monster....I think I went up 2 or 3 notches in my kid's eyes .....although
DW put it all down to an incapable weight-guesser!!
Continuing our journey we landed at MIB for another 3 rides and still the girls won ...then down to T3-D , this time the theatre was 2/3 full , we still got v.good seats and enjoyed the show even more ...I used Taz to avoid getting wet which didn't impress Callum at all!! The kids saw a sign for Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse ....this could be a little more obvious imho , 'cos DW and I never saw it !! The coaster is pretty tame but since only the kids went on who cares? They were delighted when they got off and Woody Woodpecker appeared from
nowhere ....there were only about 10-12 kids there and half of them screamed and legged it when a 6 foot bird appeared behind them !!! so our two got to
pose with Woody, I don't know who was in the costume but he/she was full of energy, the kids loved it !
We passed on Animal Actors Stage, personal opinion of mine !( says Mr. Self-Righteous )
and none of us particularly fancied The Gory , gruesome Make-up Show......so on we went and finished up at Twister. The pre-show of t.v. clips showing real twisters is fascinating ,and so are all the bits 'n' bobs on display from the movie... the sheer power of the tornadoes is frightening. Into the show we went, and as Simon says in his briiliant book...loads of noise , rain falling (you 'll get very wet in the back row!!! ) but not much else, unless you count a pretty obviously fake cow whizzing past you as interesting. It's definitely worth going
to Twister ....but once is enough!
Next stop was Hitchcock's 3-D theatre, I didn't realise this lasted for over 40 minutes......this was too long for the kids. I enjoyed it but I love Hitchcock , most of the movie clips and effects were old hat for our modern day movie veterans, in retrospect I'd agree but I still enjoyed it. It was getting late by now so we decided that The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera would be the last ride. Totally excellent describes this show/ride, it was totally enjoyable and a realistic chase in our space ships after Dick Dastardly and his mob.Despite saying this was to be the last ride we did it again, great fun. Also , don't miss the play area after the show , it's good fun for kids ( and us ) on video painting and noise
making...go and see what I mean , it also has a nifty Flintstone car for photo-ops.
By now it was 6 p.m. and we were all whacked! Slowly we made our way toward Citywalk , only stopping for the obligatory photo by the Universal Globe which looked great in the twilight.The unanimous decision was to sit and have a drink , we finished up outside Jimmy Buffet's watching another naff but entertaining talent show .....before ending up for dinner in the Nascar cafe ( again !! ) DW had enjoyed it after her initial mistake about what it was on our previous visit.
The kids did burgers ( no surprise there ) while we shared a full rack of ribs and salad....I'm sure I have salad as a token gesture on holiday!!! No dessert for us , after the apple pie it would have been superfluous.....we left about 9 p.m. for the long hike to the car-park , I'm beginning to hate the walk !! Home by 10 'ish...both kids asleep in the back of the car. Big question is how do we get a 3 foot Taz in the suitcase?????? DW and I both agreed to give the parks a rest tomorrow , Saturday, and I was persuaded we should maybe go to the Altamonte Mall......I can only assume I was weak through exhaustion 'cos I
agreed.......Oh, my aching feet!!!!!
Tomorrow , Altamonte Mall.......will I ever learn?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter