Migraines + Disney?

PixyDst

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

So I am at over a month with continuous extreme headaches and migraines, which is highly unusual for me. I'm obviously hoping to be better for our trip in May, but I want to be prepared. I'm hoping the lower altitude and general relaxation of vacation will help.

Does anyone have super secret tips that they'd like to share on how they handle their chronic migraines while at Disney? I've been lucky enough to never have to deal with one while I've been there *knock on wood* but there's always a first.

I know to keep my head covered, stay out of the sun, stay hydrated, rest as much as I need to, etc. Anything else you've found helpful?

Thanks! :scared:

I have been fortunate enough to avoid a bad migraine at WDW. I don't know if that's good prevention strategies or just luck. At home or on vacation, my main techniques includes staying hydrated, getting enough sleep, and eating regular meals.

Enjoy your vacation!

Been there done that. It helped my migraine-hopefully it will help yours also. And yes, be sure to bring whatever medication you need for migraines. For mine, it only worked if I took it at the very beginning of my migraine. Unfortunately, one time I accidentally left my meds at the hotel, BIG mistake. And I forgot that loud trumpets, trombones, drums, etc. trigger migraines for me. Why did I insist on seeing the Jammitors?

I can't help too much because *knock on wood* my migraines are few and far between and never at Disney, but since yours have been so often, have you looked into whether a food or drink in your diet could be causing them? It took me a while to figure out but finally found a few trigger foods for me that I cannot eat otherwise I will get a migraine right away!

Start by seeing your doctor. Get on a daily preventative medicine if you aren't already. Topamax worked well for me when I was having a bad several months.

At WdW, eat frequently, eat salty foods and enough sugar (both will keep your electroyte levels where they need to be) and drink a TON of water even if it isn't hot.

Get good sleep. Take muscle relaxers or sleeping pills to help with that.

Take an NSAID prophylactically every morning. Aleve is my go to for migraines recently, as it has outperformed all my Rx meds recently. On vacation, I just take Aleve every morning. Helps keep inflammation down.

What are your triggers? Mine are triggered by spinning. Last time I got a migraine on the carousel.

For generalized migraines, stay hydrated, wear really good sunglasses, stay cool as possible. Avoid as much salty food as you can as well.

I have had them for about 13 years, and have been on Topamax for about 7 years. This recent run has been killer though, I've never had one last more than 3 days, let alone more than a month!

My triggers are sleep and stress mainly, so being at Disney has me covered on the stress side of things :thumbsup2 Sleep, I'll just have to be more careful with for once. And looks like I'll probably be avoiding the roller coasters and more crazy rides that I love so much :faint: Oh, and hanging out in the shade by the pool, with my ginger husband, rather than in the sun like I normally do!

I had a period in my life when I had frequent migraines. Prescription meds helped, as well as massages. The latter wasn't covered by insurance, but it worked better for me as a preventative measure than anything else.

In the parks, I'd carry meds with me. Imitrex nasal is a fast acting med if allowed by your MD. Otherwise, stay hydrated. Know your limits. Take breaks often. And don't try to be the person who keeps going. When you feel things a bit - off - then go with that. Go back to the hotel. Enjoy a cold pack in your room. They've saved me more than once. And then when it's over, go back. Afternoons and evenings may be your friend.

Request top floor room at your resort, landscape view as they are more quiet. Be sure to eat nutritious foods and don't skip or delay meals too long. PowerAde or Gatorade (I each in the heat of day) helped me more than just water, even though I was drinking buckets of it. If you feel one coming on, head straight for your resort ASAP, don't wait.

I've had migraines at WDW, one was one of the worst of my life (rebound migraine). I had meds on me, except for one time. I headed as far as my short legs would carry me out of the park and to the resort and YES I returned to the parks later that same day!

I have chronic migraine & daily headaches to boot and without fail I always get a few while I’m on holiday (even if it’s at the most magical place on earth). I’d share the usual tips that people have already shared (maintain sleeping patterns, eat at regular times, hydrate, know your limits, take your preventative and rescue meds as you usually would) but what has helped me is planning well.
As a general rule I always have a plan b, so if a migraine strikes I know what to do and the people I’m with do as well because I always let them know. I also finds this helps keep the anxiety down, reducing the worry about what will happen if a migraine gets me but also about what others will think and not letting my health get in the way of their holiday.
Plan A is usually to hit all the rides and fast passes and eat as many Mickey shaped goodies as possible. Plan B is that I go back to the hotel, sleep it off for a couple of hours and get back to the parks and carry on at a slower pace. I’m lucky that I have an understanding family, stay onsite and visit for enough time to plan rest days and have some flexibility, if you don’t have that luxury then I still think that making a plan b will help. In daily life (and Disney life) I tend to plan stuff for the mornings, that way if plan b is needed you’ve still got an afternoon and evening, but I think that depends on when you personally get more migraines, mine usually start at around 1/2pm or 5am :/

You can always go to first aid to lie down If your dr has given you something for it bring it with you.

I’d never thought of this, are they understanding of migraines, dark and quiet is all I need but I wouldn’t want to be in the way!

Been there done that. It helped my migraine-hopefully it will help yours also. And yes, be sure to bring whatever medication you need for migraines. For mine, it only worked if I took it at the very beginning of my migraine. Unfortunately, one time I accidentally left my meds at the hotel, BIG mistake. And I forgot that loud trumpets, trombones, drums, etc. trigger migraines for me. Why did I insist on seeing the Jammitors?

I find taking meds right when you feel the headache start to creep up on you is the key!

I’d never thought of this, are they understanding of migraines, dark and quiet is all I need but I wouldn’t want to be in the way!
They have cots that you can lay down on depending on here you are the set up is a little different MK has 3 sides and a current you can turn off the light in your room the other have devised walls most of the time if you need the light off then they can do this. They try to have it quiet but this depends on what is going on I was in first aid when a kids ripped off there finger nail so it was not quiet then and I total understood but they do ask people to be quiet

I can sympathize with you, I have such difficult to treat migraines, I am on several meds for migraines including Botox. My advice is have rescue medication available to use at the first sign of the start of the bad ones. Talk to your doctor about rebound pain, which actually happens if you have been having a lot of headaches and taking pain medication...once those are broken, you actually can get relief. I know, I went 1 1/5 years straight with an unbroken migraine. As others have mentioned, stay hydrated (Hydroflask water bottles are awesome at keeping drinks ice cold all day long) and I find limiting sugar intake helps too. A treat every now and then doesn't seem to trigger my headaches, but too much sugar does. A floppy fabric hat is okay to keep your eyes and head shaded, though I found it made my head hotter in the heat. Sunglasses are a must for me, just use caution on rides since you don't want to lose or break any prescription ones if you have to wear prescription ones.

Rest throughout the day...Disney is fun until a migraine hits, then it's not. Also check in with your doctor if there may be other suggestions or rescue meds that could work quickly. A neurologist at a headache clinic had me start taking Vitamin B2 (2 tablets 2 times a day) and that helped to some extent.

Hello all,

So I am at over a month with continuous extreme headaches and migraines, which is highly unusual for me. I'm obviously hoping to be better for our trip in May, but I want to be prepared. I'm hoping the lower altitude and general relaxation of vacation will help.

Does anyone have super secret tips that they'd like to share on how they handle their chronic migraines while at Disney? I've been lucky enough to never have to deal with one while I've been there *knock on wood* but there's always a first.

I know to keep my head covered, stay out of the sun, stay hydrated, rest as much as I need to, etc. Anything else you've found helpful?

Thanks! :scared:

I was diagnosed with ocular migraines back in 2009, meaning it is most painful and irritating near my eye sockets in my skull. I have learned to love excedrine. Hands down the best migraine medication that I've ever used. You can get it OTC and it does wonders. However, I would test our how your body responds to this medicine, or any other for that matter, BEFORE you go, because when i first started taking excedrine, I was having excessive panic attacks because the caffeine levels in the serving size (2) reacted to my body negatively, so now I take 1 and I'm okay. Of course, just as a DISclaimer (lol, a pun), I'm not a medical professional and am not licensed to tell you about what medications to use. Ask your doctor what they think is best. A month full of migraines may be something you want to consult with a doc about. Hope this helps, and I'm praying you can get some relief before your trip!

Thank you everyone for your advice! Luckily my migraine finally broke (after 38 days!) and I'm planning away for my trip in a week! I've found a handful of supplements and new tricks that work, plus I've kicked gluten out of my diet again. I'd been gluten free for 10 years and recently started eating it again last year, so back to the gluten free life I go :guilty: Thanks again, have a magical day!

My mother had migraines and found that reflections off water (especially the World Showcase Lagoon) bothered her on a very bright day. She also had problems sometimes with the 360 movies in China and Canada because they are all around and because of flicker. Even though movie might not seem to flicker, they are actually made up of many individual pictures per minute going thru the projector. The flickering in them is noticeable by some people, especially if the film is damaged or dirty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter