Migraine Sufferers: I'm going to try the Botox next week...

DonnaS

Ratsrule & CathyCanada-- 2 who are greatly missed
I saw the doctor yesterday and scheduled the botox appointment. He said it doesn't help everyone, but my feeling is that if I don't try, I'll never know.

I forgot to ask him, if the relief is immediate, but I'll let you all know either way.

The downside is that insurance still considers it experimental so they don't cover it and if it works it will only work for 3-4 months and then need to be repeated. However, I might need a lower dosage as time goes on.

I think it is great Donna! Be sure to give us a full report.:D

Donna I really do hope it helps....I suffer from them also. My Dr tried several different meds, Imatrex was what finally helped. Different things work for different people.

Patrick,
I've tried them all and they work for a short time and then stop.

I figure if nothing else, I'll get rid of some wrinkles from the botox. LOL

Hey there Donna! I sure hope the botox works to decrease the pain. I have a ? if you could answer that would be great.

I assume the botox is to paralyze muscle groups which would cause tension therefore causing pain.. is that the idea? If so which muscle groups would the doc target with the botox?

just interested..

Joan

mamajoan,

It's not just the paralyzing of muscles; they think it interferes with transmission of pain messages by blocking the release of acetylcholine.

The doctor is going to be injecting above each eye, in the temple area, the sides of my head, and at the base of the skull/top of the neck areas.

Here is additoinal informations

Botox for migraines

and

Botox for migraines

Thanks for the links Donna.. I found them interesting and informative. I know that you have suffered with this pain for quite a while, I sure hope that the botox will give you relief.
Joan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter