Mid Morning Arrival to DHS - Toy Story Land Strategy

DeterminedOne

DIS Veteran
My FP reservation date is approaching. First park day will be DHS arriving around 11. Want to ride SDD, AlienSS and TSM in that order of importance. Should I try for FP for SDD then standby for Aliens then try for 4th FP for TSM?
Getting there late in the morning (arrival day) will probably hanker plans, huh? I plan on leaving the park around 7PM. What’s a good strategy for getting all three of these in 8 hours plus other rides in the park? (Won’t be riding RNRC, but definitely want to do ToT, Muppets, gift shops/exploring and a QS lunch.) Will be there the week before SWGE opens (thank goodness!)

Honestly, I would aim at your original plan of your important rides first, but have a Plan B and Plan C, just in case. So, if Slinky Dog isn't available at all, then what? Does Aliens move up to the #1 spot? That's how I'd plan so that you're not blindsighted by any scenario. Good luck to you! I hope you have a great trip.

Why are you leaving around 7? I'd say if you don't get slinky your best bet is to ride at closing. I like to research ride wait times a week or couple days before. You could do that just to get an idea of what might be the busiest time of day for when you're there. Otherwise I don't think there is much strategy for middle of the day other than refresh method for FP.

Thanks for your replies. I know this question has been asked hundreds of times with different scenarios.

I agree @DWillowBay - better come up with a plan A, B and C. Doesn't sound like folks are having much luck getting FP to Slinky at the 60 day mark, and I will only have one day in each park. I'm not opposed to waiting in standby, but folks say there's no shade in TSL.

@kcp6763 - Leaving at 7 because I have an 8:40 ADR at Storybook Dining. Will head there early to see if they will take me, as I've had no luck modifying the time, and it was super hard ADR to get. (Thanks, TouringPlans!) If I'm fortunate enough to get an earlier ADR I could always leave then go back to DHS. (Park will be open until 9.)
Thanks for the suggestion to research wait times - I didn't consider that.

Will report back next week after I'm able to FP reservations.

Well, all rides except Star Tours will be a tier 1 when you go so that makes things difficult. I would make a fp for Muppets for before you arrive as a throwaway. A fp is totally useless for Muppets anyways, everyone waits together for the next show (though that could change once GE opens) so you’re not denying anyone the chance at skipping the line. Aliens actually comes up the day of frequently, at least right now, as does TSM, so book your a fp for SSD if you can, and the last for ST. Make your ST time earlier than your Toy Story and get them as close to back to back as you can, then after riding the Toy Story ride just keep booking fp one at a time for the rides.

So if you book a FP as you suggested (for muppets for example) before you even plan to arrive and dont use it, it still counts as one of your FPs "being used"? As in you only have to "use" 2 more to get another/4th? If so, could you essentially not use 2 of your FPs in order to get your 4th?

Correct- usually. Once in a rare while MDE will glitch and not let you book an additional tier 1 if you didn’t tap in for one of your tier 2 fp, and that requires going to a fastpass cm to get it fixed, or just using another tier 2.

Since the tier change at HS last summer when TSL opened, I rarely book throwaway fp (fp you don’t intend to use) as normally I just use them, but when I do I’m careful to book something that doesn’t need a fp anyways as I don’t want to take away an opportunity for someone to skip standby just so I can blow through my fp quicker- seems selfish to me. At HS the other good choice for a throwaway is the Disney Juinior dance party- standby always gets in for that too.

Of course, after SW:GE opens, who knows, all standby lines might back up to the point where even those two become useful fp choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter