Mickey's Toontown to get a wholesale refresh?

Disneylandfan85

Mouseketeer
This thread is an outgrowth of a thread about Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway coming to Disneyland: https://www.disboards.com/threads/n...-park-and-disney’s-hollywood-studios.3766762/. So try to keep discussion about the ride itself in the link.

Anyway...

I admit, I'm not sure how reliable WDW News Today is (especially given that it got in hot water for rumors about alleged overhauls of Country Bears and the Tiki Room in WDW that Disney denied via its park blog), but on September 9, it posted a recap of all that was divulged at D23:

Though the lion's share of the video is on WDW, they do mention stuff happening at the other Disney parks as well. In Disneyland's case, from 9:13 to 9:25, they mention that in preparation for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway coming to Toontown, the whole land will receive a refresh. However, they were vague on what exactly was going to happen or even when it was happening, beyond the fact that the Runaway Railway is opening there in 2022.

Without getting too fanciful, how can they refresh it?

I would like to see some different food options in Toontown. I'm not that interested in the meet and greets or the Roger Rabbit ride, and I don't have kids, so I find very little reason to go to Toontown nowadays. However, there is a lack of food options down at that end of the park, so that's something that could draw me in.

And of course I would love it if they brought the Jolly Trolley back to life! I have no idea why, but even as a teen I got a kick out of riding this trolley.

My daughter would like to see them add Icees. Toontown would be a great place for that. Universal has Icees, so Disney should serve them also :-)

I don't expect the "refresh" to mean all that much except a new coat of paint (which is needed).

Total speculation here, but if they do make the Gag Factory the queue for the Runaway Railway, then they'll have to figure out another place to sell merchandise. I don't see them removing Mickey or Minnie's house (meet & greet), but maybe they convert one of the other houses - perhaps Chip & Dale's treehouse since there's all the empty space in the acorn pit.

It would be nice if the trolley returned instead of being chained in place.

It would be great if there was a unique food & drink option instead of the generic offerings.

Glad that TT is getting some love.

My daughter would like to see them add Icees. Toontown would be a great place for that. Universal has Icees, so Disney should serve them also :-)

Didn't there used to be a trailer located near Goofy's place that served Icees? I believe it was called Goofy's Free-Z-Time.

Also, as part of the overall update to the area, I think they should do something with Donald's Boat, which has become a dead space. As we all know only too well, out of safety considerations, it has become a shell of its old self. The slide has been removed, as has the children's entrance into the upper deck. The spiral staircase and rope climb were also made off limits, and eventually the staircase and entryway were removed entirely. Even the tugboat horn was turned off, allegedly from parents who complained about the noise.

Meanwhile, and I could be mistaken, but the boat in Tokyo seems to have had none of its liability-prone activities removed. Maybe it's the Japanese culture or something, I don't know.

So really, there should be more to do there than just walk up a flight of stairs just to take in a view.

Here's a video of Donald's Boat to show you what I mean:

I've heard that the space has been used for a Donald meet-n-greet, which makes sense, but it can only do so much.

Didn't there used to be a trailer located near Goofy's place that served Icees? I believe it was called Goofy's Free-Z-Time.

Also, as part of the overall update to the area, I think they should do something with Donald's Boat, which has become a dead space. As we all know only too well, out of safety considerations, it has become a shell of its old self. The slide has been removed, as has the children's entrance into the upper deck. The spiral staircase and rope climb were also made off limits, and eventually the staircase and entryway were removed entirely. Even the tugboat horn was turned off, allegedly from parents who complained about the noise.

Meanwhile, and I could be mistaken, but the boat in Tokyo seems to have had none of its liability-prone activities removed. Maybe it's the Japanese culture or something, I don't know.

So really, there should be more to do there than just walk up a flight of stairs just to take in a view.

Here's a video of Donald's Boat to show you what I mean:

I've heard that the space has been used for a Donald meet-n-greet, which makes sense, but it can only do so much.
Is that really all there is to do on Donald’s Boat?! That’s disappointing. Is there more interactivity at Chip and Dale’s treehouse?

I would like to see some different food options in Toontown. I'm not that interested in the meet and greets or the Roger Rabbit ride, and I don't have kids, so I find very little reason to go to Toontown nowadays. However, there is a lack of food options down at that end of the park, so that's something that could draw me in.

And of course I would love it if they brought the Jolly Trolley back to life! I have no idea why, but even as a teen I got a kick out of riding this trolley.
Ditto. I don't have kids, but I do like the Roger Rabbit ride so that's the only reason why I'd go to Toontown. I will definitely go there to ride Mickey's coaster, however, as the theming looks really fun and interesting. I'd definitely stay for some unique food, too.

Is that really all there is to do on Donald’s Boat?! That’s disappointing. Is there more interactivity at Chip and Dale’s treehouse?

No, there isn't. That is just a joke now. The acorn pit is long gone. That would be a good spot for an eatery maybe.

No, there isn't. That is just a joke now. The acorn pit is long gone. That would be a good spot for an eatery maybe.
Thanks. So, I had set aside a pretty decent amount of time to hang out in ToonTown so my son could play on Chip n' Dale's Treehouse, Donald's Boat, and Goofy's Playhouse. It sounds like that is probably not a good use of time?

Absolutely not. We went with a 5 and 7 year old in our group who went up and down the treehouse and their response was That's it?
Goofy's not bounce house, donald's boat shell, the now non-existent toon park play area, and the treehouse/acorn all need to be replaced or have some major work done to them.
Honestly Roger Rabbit is the only main reason we ever go to Toontown anymore. Once in a blue moon for the coaster, and maybe once every few years to meet mickey.

Absolutely not. We went with a 5 and 7 year old in our group who went up and down the treehouse and their response was That's it?
Goofy's not bounce house, donald's boat shell, the now non-existent toon park play area, and the treehouse/acorn all need to be replaced or have some major work done to them.
Honestly Roger Rabbit is the only main reason we ever go to Toontown anymore. Once in a blue moon for the coaster, and maybe once every few years to meet mickey.
Thank you! We will definitely still visit to see Mickey and Minnie, and my son will like the coaster. I'll scrap the rest and give us more time on Tom Sawyer Island.

Thank you! We will definitely still visit to see Mickey and Minnie, and my son will like the coaster. I'll scrap the rest and give us more time on Tom Sawyer Island.

I think that's a great idea. Tom Sawyer Island is underrated in my opinion. Even as an adult, I think the play areas, rope bridge, and caverns to explore are fun.

Reactions: EmJ
I think that's a great idea. Tom Sawyer Island is underrated in my opinion. Even as an adult, I think the play areas, rope bridge, and caverns to explore are fun.

I 100% agree with these comments. One trip we spent somewhere between 5 and 6 hours on the island. Almost every trip we will spend at least 2 hours there in a day. We usually stock up on snacks and treats before we head over.

Reactions: EmJ
Another area that I think needs help is Goofy's Playhouse. One of my initial ideas for them to refresh that area was to overhaul it into Goofy's Paint 'n' Playhouse, located at Tokyo Disneyland. However, from watching a video on Goofy's Playhouse here and then a video on Goofy's Paint 'n' Playhouse in Tokyo, I'm actually not sure, given the space for it, if the latter can fit physically fit in the former's space. Here's the video in question on the version in California, queue and all:

And here's the video of the version in Tokyo (queue and all, which is not easy to find on YouTube):

As you can see, I think it looks relatively more spacious than Disneyland's version, and that's just from the exterior garden space. As with Donald's Boat, it would be quite difficult to work over there without impacting the area dramatically. Does anyone have any ideas for how to overhaul Goofy's Playhouse without getting too radical?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!