Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!

My family is dressing up as Jack, Sally, and Zero from Nightmare Before Christmas and I’m wanting to do face makeup for my husband and myself. It looks like this is ok, but has anyone else worn full makeup or face paint / suggestions to the parties? Just want to make sure it’s allowed before we do it and get to the gate for entry.

I'll have a more detailed review of the Mickey's Halloween Party Dining Package from the Blue Bayou later this week (after I've had a chance to process the picture), but for those that are curious, the viewing area is at the end of Main Street, close to the Hub. It's basically the area between Jolly Holiday and the Plaza Inn (I don't recall the exact boundaries, but it's roughly the area in the red square). I would say the areas were mostly two to three row deep, with most guests opting to sit on the ground.
View attachment 353652
Amy chance on the blue Bayou Restaurant review, we have it booked, but would like to know if they still doing the led llanyard, and the menu.. thanks

We are another NBC family too @Meeko32198 ! Any experts on makeup? We are pale and need lots of sunscreen at DL. Since we are going in costume at opening at 3 I’m trying to figure out how to do the white face with SPF. Will the white go on well over sunscreen? Will the drawn on tattoos and decals go on over sunscreen?

How’s the weather been at night? Is it still pretty warm? It was humid in August and never cooled down.

We are another NBC family too @Meeko32198 ! Any experts on makeup? We are pale and need lots of sunscreen at DL. Since we are going in costume at opening at 3 I’m trying to figure out how to do the white face with SPF. Will the white go on well over sunscreen? Will the drawn on tattoos and decals go on over sunscreen?

How’s the weather been at night? Is it still pretty warm? It was humid in August and never cooled down.
When are you here? Other than last night it's been dropping into the 60s at night. However starting tomorrow the highs for the next 10 days are projected to be low 70s/high 60s with lows in the low 60s.

Mickey's Halloween Party Blue Bayou Dining Package, Dinner
Figment and his family opted to try the Blue Bayou dining package for MHP. It's been a while since he's been to the Blue Bayou and it seemed like a good chance to return. All reservations after 4:00 pm on party nights are for the dining package, but they were taking non-package walk-ups. The package is $72 per adult and $29 per child (no discounts) and includes a three course meal and reserved viewing for the first Frightfully Fun Parade.

The appetizers included choice of the gumbo or a house salad, or for a slight up-charge ($5), the calamari, beet salad, or crab hush puppies could be ordered. All of the regular dinner entrees were available, plus one additional entree, a Prime Rib. Dessert options were the creme brulee, a chocolate-hazelnut cake, or the package exclusive, Madame Leota's Crystal Ball. The menus have a small flash light built into the side flap to make it easier to read in the dim light of the Blue Bayou.
DSC_0014_zpsugobazcn.jpg

DSC_0011_zpskxqber1r.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsl9bvjrqq.jpg

Mint Julep - Figment still likes the mint julep.
DSC_0024_zpsmiivloqk.jpg

N'awlins Gumbo - Chicken, Andouille Sausage, Tasso Ham, Rice. Figment knew he wasn't going to get the gumbo at Cafe Orleans this trip, so he made sure to have it at the Blue Bayou. Still as yummy as ever!
DSC_0043_zpseqrg4yng.jpg

Crab Hush Puppies - Jumbo Lump Crab, Avocado Spread, Fresno Chile, Petit Greens. The hush puppies had lots of big pieces of lump crab meat. Figment could really taste the crab.
DSC_0038_zpsybogs3gp.jpg

DSC_0050_zpsjkr02s3l.jpg

DSC_0057_zpshkb9df0x.jpg

Seafood Pasta - Blackened Fish, Mussels, Clams, Crawfish, spicy Shrimp Sauce, fresh Egg Pasta. The seafood pasta had really good flavor and lots of seafood.
DSC_0060_zps7g5b90tl.jpg

Prime Rib - USDA Prime Rib, Fondant Potatoes, Hen of the Woods Mushrooms, Natural Jus, Horseradish. Figment really liked this entree. The prime rib was medium rare, very juicy, and very tender. The fondant potatoes were a bit odd, but the mushrooms were good.
DSC_0071_zpstdj4wj5j.jpg

Surf & Turf - Lobster Tail, Filet Mignon, Blue Bayou Au Gratin Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, Béarnaise Sauce. Figment likes the surf & turf option at the Blue Bayou. The lobster tail was very yummy, and the filet was very tender. The gratin had a surprising amount of pepper.
DSC_0079_zpsetgaxh5f.jpg

Madame Leota's Crystal Ball - Citrus Mousse, Cherry Filling, Blood Orange Bundt Cake, Tarot Card Cookie. Normally a citrus mousse wouldn't have been Figment's first choice, but being the package exclusive dessert, he had to try it! When it came to the table, it was a very cool sight. The bunt cake and mousse dome sat atop a light-up color-changing disc (Figment thinks it's normally a coaster)! The bundt cake was a pretty standard bundt cake, but the mousse was surprisingly refreshing. The cherry filling was slightly tart and it went well with the mild citrus mousse.
DSC_0091_zpscggfvetl.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsdbeewadp.jpg

Each dining package guest was given a light-up lanyard and a ticket to enter the viewing area for the parade. Each guest was also given a bag of candy, which weighted about 1.25 pounds! The bag had the same candy that was being given out at treat trails, but neatly packaged in bag with a Blue Bayou sticker on the front.
DSC_0006_zpstjz5b73j.jpg

The viewing areas were on the end of Main Street, between Jolly Holiday and Plaza Inn (on both sides of the street). It didn't feel very crowded, with most guests opting to sit on the ground or the benches in the back of the viewing area. The parade is coming from It's a Small World, so Figment opted to sit on the Jolly Holiday side of the street so he could see the parade coming from a greater distance. It was a good view and it was nice to not feel super crowded.
DSC_0270_zps3pmauboj.jpg

Overall, Figment's family enjoyed their meal at the Blue Bayou. I don't think it's necessary to do the package to see the parade (there seemed to be a fair amount of viewing space available for the second parade), but it's a nice splurge if guests are looking to do something fun and special for MHP.

Last edited:

Do not wear sunscreen under your makeup. The makeup may not stick to your face. I always wash my face before I put my makeup on for my cat costumes. The weather at night has been in the 60's here.

Figment and his family opted to try the Blue Bayou dining package for MHP. It's been a while since he's been to the Blue Bayou and it seemed like a good chance to return. All reservations after 4:00 pm on party nights are for the dining package, but they were taking non-package walk-ups. The package is $72 per adult and $29 per child (no discounts) and includes a three course meal and reserved viewing for the first Frightfully Fun Parade.

The appetizers included choice of the gumbo or a house salad, or for a slight up-charge ($5), the calamari, beet salad, or crab hush puppies could be ordered. All of the regular dinner entrees were available, plus one additional entree, a Prime Rib. Dessert options were the creme brulee, a chocolate-hazelnut cake, or the package exclusive, Madame Leota's Crystal Ball. The menus have a small flash light built into the side flap to make it easier to read in the dim light of the Blue Bayou.
DSC_0014_zpsugobazcn.jpg

DSC_0011_zpskxqber1r.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsl9bvjrqq.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsmiivloqk.jpg

N'awlins Gumbo - Chicken, Andouille Sausage, Tasso Ham, Rice. Figment knew he wasn't going to get the gumbo at Cafe Orleans this trip, so he made sure to have it at the Blue Bayou. Still as yummy as ever!
DSC_0043_zpseqrg4yng.jpg

Crab Hush Puppies - Jumbo Lump Crab, Avocado Spread, Fresno Chile, Petit Greens. The hush puppies had lots of big pieces of lump crab meat. Figment could really taste the crab.
DSC_0038_zpsybogs3gp.jpg

DSC_0050_zpsjkr02s3l.jpg

DSC_0057_zpshkb9df0x.jpg

Seafood Pasta - Blackened Fish, Mussels, Clams, Crawfish, spicy Shrimp Sauce, fresh Egg Pasta. The seafood pasta had really good flavor and lots of seafood.
DSC_0060_zps7g5b90tl.jpg

Prime Rib - USDA Prime Rib, Fondant Potatoes, Hen of the Woods Mushrooms, Natural Jus, Horseradish. Figment really liked this entree. The prime rib was medium well, very juicy, and very tender. The fondant potatoes were a bit odd, but the mushrooms were good.
DSC_0071_zpstdj4wj5j.jpg

Surf & Turf - Lobster Tail, Filet Mignon, Blue Bayou Au Gratin Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, Béarnaise Sauce. Figment likes the surf & turf option at the Blue Bayou. The lobster tail was very yummy, and the filet was very tender. The gratin had a surprising amount of pepper.
DSC_0079_zpsetgaxh5f.jpg

Madame Leota's Crystal Ball - Citrus Mousse, Cherry Filling, Blood Orange Bundt Cake, Tarot Card Cookie. Normally a citrus mousse wouldn't have been Figment's first choice, but being the package exclusive dessert, he had to try it! When it came to the table, it was a very cool sight. The bunt cake and mousse dome sat atop a light-up color-changing disc (Figment thinks it's normally a coaster)! The bundt cake was a pretty standard bundt cake, but the mousse was surprisingly refreshing. The cherry filling was slightly tart and it went well with the mild citrus mousse.
DSC_0091_zpscggfvetl.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsdbeewadp.jpg

Each dining package guest was given a light-up lanyard and a ticket to enter the viewing area for the parade. Each guest was also given a bag of candy, which weighted about 1.25 pounds! The bag had the same candy that was being given out at treat trails, but neatly packaged in bag with a Blue Bayou sticker on the front.
DSC_0006_zpstjz5b73j.jpg

The viewing areas were on the end of Main Street, between Jolly Holiday and Plaza Inn (on both sides of the street). It didn't feel very crowded, with most guests opting to sit on the ground or the benches in the back of the viewing area. The parade is coming from It's a Small World, so Figment opted to sit on the Jolly Holiday side of the street so he could see the parade coming from a greater distance. It was a good view and it was nice to not feel super crowded.
DSC_0270_zps3pmauboj.jpg

Overall, Figment's family enjoyed their meal at the Blue Bayou. I don't think it's necessary to do the package to see the parade (there seemed to be a fair amount of viewing space available for the second parade), but it's a nice splurge if guests are looking to do something fun and special for MHP.
Thanks so much for the recap. I think this will be a nice add to our Halloween Party on the 29th. Couple of questions- how far in advance of the parade did you go to the reserved viewing area? How many people deep was the review area?

I don't remember the exact timing, but we watched the 8:00 pm Cadaver Dan set (finished around 8:15 pm) and then headed slowly to the viewing area. I think we got there around 8:30 pm. The benches in the back of the viewing area were full, but there was still curb spots when we got there. I think there was at least one full row behind us (seated) and maybe a few scattered (seated) guests in a third row by the time the parade started.

I'm still trying to decide whether to do parade-fireworks or fireworks-parade.
I'm liking the idea of catching some of the villians that roam after the fireworks but before the second parade.

What are people's thoughts/experiences of either plan? Going on a Friday night.

From what I could tell, the second parade was far less busy than the first parade. We were able to find curb side/second row spots down in Town Square just as the Headless Horseman was heading out onto the route. I would (personally) opt to see the fireworks, then head down to Town Square to check out the villains. Then after they clear out (which is a little before the Headless Horseman is slated to start is ride), find a spot to watch the second parade. The only major caveat is that you won't know which villains will be out and about and which pair will be at the M&G location (and they cut the M&G line pretty quickly so that everyone in line will get to see the character before the parade is slated to start).

Do not wear sunscreen under your makeup. The makeup may not stick to your face. I always wash my face before I put my makeup on for my cat costumes. The weather at night has been in the 60's here.

That’s what I was afraid of! I wonder if I can use a really white thick zinc sunscreen instead of actual makeup for the Jack and Sally faces? Sounds like I’ll have to practice beforehand instead of winging it. We need sunscreen and I know the kids will want to be on the move so there’s no chance of applying the makeup while we are there.

@dina444444 we are there the week of 10/14 so I’m very glad to hear it’s starting to cool down! That would be the perfect weather and I wouldn’t have to worry about a sweatshirt for my perpetually cold child.

Thanks for the review, now all i want is the really cute figment..

DSC_0014_zpsugobazcn.jpg

DSC_0011_zpskxqber1r.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsl9bvjrqq.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsmiivloqk.jpg

DSC_0043_zpseqrg4yng.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsybogs3gp.jpg

DSC_0050_zpsjkr02s3l.jpg

DSC_0057_zpshkb9df0x.jpg

DSC_0060_zps7g5b90tl.jpg

Prime Rib - USDA Prime Rib, Fondant Potatoes, Hen of the Woods Mushrooms, Natural Jus, Horseradish. Figment really liked this entree. The prime rib was medium well, very juicy, and very tender. The fondant potatoes were a bit odd, but the mushrooms were good.
DSC_0071_zpstdj4wj5j.jpg

DSC_0079_zpsetgaxh5f.jpg

DSC_0091_zpscggfvetl.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsdbeewadp.jpg

DSC_0006_zpstjz5b73j.jpg

DSC_0270_zps3pmauboj.jpg

That’s what I was afraid of! I wonder if I can use a really white thick zinc sunscreen instead of actual makeup for the Jack and Sally faces? Sounds like I’ll have to practice beforehand instead of winging it. We need sunscreen and I know the kids will want to be on the move so there’s no chance of applying the makeup while we are there.

@dina444444 we are there the week of 10/14 so I’m very glad to hear it’s starting to cool down! That would be the perfect weather and I wouldn’t have to worry about a sweatshirt for my perpetually cold child.
For me anything in the 60s means I’m wearing a sweatshirt especially if it’s clear skies.

As someone who is NOT going to the party...can someone tell me what to expect crowd-wise in DL BEFORE the party? I have a group of 8 adults going on 10/19 and I am trying to get an idea of if the crowd behaves differently before the party vs on a normal day...for example normally with adults I would save the fantasyland rides for like 10pm once the small kids have thinned out and they're all walk -ons. Since we have to be out of the park by 8, that doesn't work. BUT, if guests going to the party start arriving in the afternoon then we DEFINITELY don't want to be in fantasyland then, right? Maybe? We don't want to do a ton of FL rides, but if it's jam packed then I need to rethink our plan.

From what I could tell, the second parade was far less busy than the first parade. We were able to find curb side/second row spots down in Town Square just as the Headless Horseman was heading out onto the route. I would (personally) opt to see the fireworks, then head down to Town Square to check out the villains. Then after they clear out (which is a little before the Headless Horseman is slated to start is ride), find a spot to watch the second parade. The only major caveat is that you won't know which villains will be out and about and which pair will be at the M&G location (and they cut the M&G line pretty quickly so that everyone in line will get to see the character before the parade is slated to start).

I mean, there's a good chance I'll want to do both parades. Parades are the best
I'm going to try and catch characters during the week as well and I suppose I don't mind too much who I meet because any of them would be awesome. I would love to get a photo with Maleficent but my trip won't be ruined without.

On characters, do characters not in the parade stay in their areas? Thinking Winnie The Pooh and friends as well as Haunted Mansion meets.
What do others like to do during the first parade?

As someone who is NOT going to the party...can someone tell me what to expect crowd-wise in DL BEFORE the party? I have a group of 8 adults going on 10/19 and I am trying to get an idea of if the crowd behaves differently before the party vs on a normal day...
The crossover hours (early entry for MHP, 4-7 pm on 10/19) will be increasingly crowded as party guests enter DL, especially the front areas of the park. Back areas of the park won't be as crowded, but NOS can get pretty crowded quickly. MP/FPs will be harder to find, if there are any left by the time the early entry hours start. If you can be at DL for rope drop, get your FL rides done then. Use MP/FP wisely and book as many return times as you can get before the party guests can start booking at 4. And you will have to be out of the main part of the park by 7, not 8 -- Main Street will stay open for you for shopping until 8, but not the rest of the park. Once the party starts at 7, CMs will begin sweeping non-wristbanded guests toward the park entrance. This will continue as day guests exit rides, shops, restaurants, rest rooms, etc. Day guests will be allowed to move toward Main Street, but not further back into the park.

Last edited:
Party is way too crowded, all the way until closing. They might as well have fastpass during the party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter