Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!

Just to warn you all going to the party tomorrow the winds are returning tomorrow and Saturday. I don't know how bad the winds will be at night

We had a good time at the party on Tuesday. I will say it seemed quite a bit more crowded than our previous visits, but certainly less so than the days were.

The candy was great; lots of variety, including some fruity stuff instead of just chocolate.

Ride times were really short; our longest wait was ten minutes for Space Mountain. We rode the Tomorrowland rides, Big Thunder, and Haunted Mansion.

DH, DS, and I don't care for character greetings, but my SIL and her family waited for a few, and those lines were long and slow.

Cadaver Dans were awesome, as always. We kept looping the treat trail at the front while they performed, so two birds, one stone! We sat at Plaza Inn during the fireworks. It was fine since the extended family wasn't super interested and we've seen them before.

We saw amazing costumes: many Incredibles and Pooh families. Our favorites were a great undead Alice and Mad-Hatter, Syndrome, classic Mr. Incredible with Elastigirl, an HM ghost, and the most amazing Star Wars group, especially Ahsoka Tano.

Now, I know this won't be a popular opinion, but we thought the parade was odd and kind of meh. The order didn't make a lot of sense, the song was a little grating, and it took away from the feeling of freedom to wander around and enjoy. The end of the night was pretty disappointing compared to our last two Halloween parties (2012 and 2013), as the march of mixed characters and the repetitive song wasn't as impressive as all the villains in smoke and carriages.

Overall, we had a great party and we were able to accomplish a lot. We left with loads of candy and wonderful new memories.

Just to warn you all going to the party tomorrow the winds are returning tomorrow and Saturday. I don't know how bad the winds will be at night

Do you have a reliable weather spot that spits out forecasted wind speeds? I will be at the party on the 23rd and I was planning on camping out in front of the castle to take pics of the fireworks. If there are heavy winds forecasted I will probably just assume the fireworks will not go off and spend my time elsewhere, thanks.

Does anyone have a feel for what the general wind speeds have to be before they shut the fireworks down? Above 10 mph, above 15 mph? Most of next week looks to be in the 8-10 mph range.

We had a great time at the party on tuesday. We’d done all the rides we wanted to do by then so we didn’t bother with any of that. We met Maleficent which was my top priority, did several other character meets, watched the fireworks and the parade. We did some trick or treating too but I forgot my candy at the hotel. Oh well.

Do you have a reliable weather spot that spits out forecasted wind speeds? I will be at the party on the 23rd and I was planning on camping out in front of the castle to take pics of the fireworks. If there are heavy winds forecasted I will probably just assume the fireworks will not go off and spend my time elsewhere, thanks.

Does anyone have a feel for what the general wind speeds have to be before they shut the fireworks down? Above 10 mph, above 15 mph? Most of next week looks to be in the 8-10 mph range.
Last year, we had really high winds at higher elevations during the party that I went to. I realized the fireworks probably weren't going to happen about an hour before they were scheduled to go off. I was watching the flags on the cranes over SWGE and those were whipping around like crazy, so if the cranes are still there and you can see the flags on the top (I haven't been to DLR since May), that would probably be a really good indicator to watch throughout the night.

Last year, we had really high winds at higher elevations during the party that I went to. I realized the fireworks probably weren't going to happen about an hour before they were scheduled to go off. I was watching the flags on the cranes over SWGE and those were whipping around like crazy, so if the cranes are still there and you can see the flags on the top (I haven't been to DLR since May), that would probably be a really good indicator to watch throughout the night.
Those cranes have unfortunately been gone for almost 6 months now. They are using lower profile cranes that are completely lowered at the end of the work day.

Those cranes have unfortunately been gone for almost 6 months now. They are using lower profile cranes that are completely lowered at the end of the work day.
Oops, nevermind then.

I wasn't even paying attention in May - too distracted being Grad Nite coordinator and worried I was going to get a call from Disney. :rotfl:

I use the Yahoo Weather app. It will tell you what they expect the winds to be and will tell you actual wind speeds. I live in a very windy area and fell it's pretty accurate.

cant wait to leave for DL on Tuesday. been finishing my costume for the party on the 26th. Made UV Neon Air-Hercs that will glow.
2.PNG 42613395_313865072732711_4996610056441532671_n (1).jpg 43526363_1002650766584467_1975236373113804172_n.jpg 1.PNG

Ill be going full tote with bounds
Kronk and Izma
Hercules Group (pain, panic, hades, pegasus, hera,zeus, hercules) for the party
Tower of Terror bellhops
haunted mansion Dynamite Guy and Tightrope walker
Jack and Sally

Last edited:
so much for the wind. The last I saw on the news Tuseday should be around 80 degrees with no wind and no rain. I hope that happens. I might make a new wig for my orange cat costume. I repainted a wig but, now getting excited about my party on Tuesday I might make another wig for this costume

Do you have a reliable weather spot that spits out forecasted wind speeds?..
We use the National Weather Service webpage for the San Diego office. All you really need to look for is Red Flag Warnings for high winds in the Anaheim area. If you see any RFWs -- that's your clue that fireworks will be iffy, at best, unless the warning gets removed. If the RFWs are still posted closer to showtime, we make plans to do something else that night. If you decide to camp out at the castle anyway, be looking for the test balloon -- it goes up about 10-15 minutes (?) before showtime. You'll be able to tell by the speed and direction of the balloon's flight whether the show might not go on.

On another note, does anyone have any MHP costume photos to post?? Are there any more recent MHP reviews?

We had no problem getting a cauldron last week and I saw lots of the Oogie Boogie available too.

We had a great time at the party. I didn’t like the changes to how they manage the crowds at Toon Town. I liked it better last year. It was hard to know which characters were where before getting in line. It was also cruel to use chairs to corral the line but having the seats facing the other way so you couldn’t actually sit down which my kids complained about.

We did the Pre-Party at Toontown and stopped for magic shot pictures in costume before heading out to wait for Jack & Sally. As always they are worth the wait. They spent so much time with us. Sally said she’s was going to kidnap my DD, she said it’s not kidnapping if no force is required.

Then we went to wait for the HM characters. If like me you are not sure where to go walk from Jack and Sally toward the restaurant next door until you see the HM CM’s. The characters were supposed to be there around 6:20 according to the CMs but they were late. Sally was first and then show switched to Constance. My DD loves them. We bought the Sally figurine at DTD at the home store, the other ones are also there, if you are looking for them. The CMs were begging for people to post photos to Instagram to advertise their presence.

We always skip any treat trails that have long lines so we passed on by the one at The Golden Horsehoe and the River and went to Critter Country. There was no line at the one by Hungry Bear or by Pooh Bear. We saw Eyeore and Tiger but it was too early for Pooh Bear.

Around 7 we headed back to the Hub and lots of people were waiting for the parade so I saved a spot while the family went on to the trail by Tinkerbell and got food.

We had fun watching the parade and fireworks.

Afterward we did The Golden Horsehoe Trail and the rode POTC. Afterward we did magic shot photos by the river and fog. My DD was thrilled to find out later she got a key shot from the upcoming Nutcracker movie. Then we did the trail by the River. We saw the Cadaver Dans.

DD was hoping to have pictures with Wendy but no CM I asked knew where she was. On the way back toward Frontierland we saw a photo opportunity with treasure and it turns out that’s the entrance to the Peter Pan characters but unfortunately Wendy was leaving. If you are interested it’s sraight down from The Golden Horseshoe.

The trails down past BTRR were deserted and the trees looked great all lit up. It’s amazing not having the cigarette smoke while walking out there. We walked back toward Fantasyland. I spotted Ariel and Jasmine by the carousel and asked their handler for a photo and he said they would be getting on the carousel next. DD got to ride next to her favorite princess and was in absolute heaven.

On the way out we saw princesses and villains in the Royal Theater so I wished we’d gone there for DD. It looks like they rope it off at closing so it would have been great to get there just beforehand and have time with them.

The villains were doing a little show by the train on the way out.

Not a costume, but it is for a costume for MHP. Friend is going to a party soon and I offered to style her wig for her as a favor. Nothing too fancy (realistically, I needed to combine a couple wigs to do it exactly right, but we were going for as good as possible doing it cheap). But still saved her having to mess with it.

My cat Riley decided to help. Thought y'all would get a kick out of it. This also happened several times while working on the wig...

(Wig is for an Aurora costume, by the way, that she'll be wearing. Not sure exactly which party she'll be going to. But I think one next week?)

1266961718.jpg

... My cat Riley decided to help. Thought y'all would get a kick out of it. This also happened several times while working on the wig...

(Wig is for an Aurora costume, by the way, that she'll be wearing. Not sure exactly which party she'll be going to. But I think one next week?)

View attachment 359952
I think Riley adds quite an elegant touch to the wig -- too bad she can't be part of the costume and go to MHP!

... We did the Pre-Party at Toontown and stopped for magic shot pictures in costume before heading out to wait for Jack & Sally. ... Afterward we did magic shot photos by the river and fog. My DD was thrilled to find out later she got a key shot from the upcoming Nutcracker movie...
Where were the photographers with the magic shots located in TT and by the river? Good to know about the characters on the carousel and in PFF! We'll have to look for those at our next party.

Where were the photographers with the magic shots located in TT and by the river? Good to know about the characters on the carousel and in PFF! We'll have to look for those at our next party.

There were a couple between the Treat trail by the river (where Fantasmic would be) and the photo setup meet and greet for the Peter Pan characters down from the Golden Horseshoe. The PP had a Nutcracker sign. She had DD stick out her finger which then has the key dangling from it. The TT characters, or at least Donald, had a PP but we got the magic shots by the castle, sorry I wasn’t clear about that.

Anyone looking for magic shots the cauldron is super cool and our favorite. There’s also the flaming pumpkin and zero. We had bats added into our shots at the headless horseman statue in DCA too. DCA is really lacking PP though.

I think Riley adds quite an elegant touch to the wig -- too bad she can't be part of the costume and go to MHP!

Every costume is improved with cat hair :rotfl2:

If I get any pictures from my friend of the final result (and get permission to share), I'll post them. I'm really curious to see it all together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter