• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickey's Christmas Party: How to do it the RIGHT way??

Puffy2

DIS Veteran
Like everything at Disney, there is a "right" way and a "wrong" way to experience it (like we know here on the DIS to go during the off season (low crowds) and in the winter (for cooler weather), etc...)

How should Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party be approached in order to do it the "right" way (to get the most out of the experience)?

I wondered this too. I hear of a story time, the parade, the photos....what all is there to see besides the rides? Should we just save the rides for a regular day? Is there enough other stuff to do that we won't get bored if we decide on not doing any rides that night? Also, I have read of people getting into the park as early at 430? Do you just get in as many rides as you can before 7 then?

well dh and i dont have any kids yet (one on the way) we went to mvmcp this past december. What we did was go to the mk in the morning and do all the rides that we wanted. Then we took a mid day break and went back at night. That way we had done most of the rides we wanted and we could just focus on all the shows and special things. I think this is a good way to go especially if you have kids b/c they are going to want to ride rides. Maybe go on a few favs but really take time to enjoy the atmosphere. Also i recomend going during the week if its available and not on fri. We went on fri night and people came up for the weekend so i think it was more crowded than say a tuesday.;)

Oh and also even if you go in at 4:30 once the park closes there is a waiting area for mvmcp guests. You are only allowed into tomorrowland as the other guests exit the park . Maybe you could make an early Ps For LTT they dress up as holiday characters on those nights but you have to reserve early. I believe you can make a ps when you purchase tickets for the party even if its not 90 days out.

I attended the MVMCP last December. They close the park @ 6pm, and re-open at 7. We had a 5:30pm PS at the Crystal Palace, allowing us to eat like horses through the closing, and be delightfully full with wristbands in place by the 7pm re-open.
While the masses were staging at the front gate, around 6:45 we walked out the front door of the CP and strolled over to Independance Hall for our pins & photo, then took our time roaming through the park, taking in what rides and attractions we wanted to. It wasn't very crowded, and we rode several rides two or three times. The Jungle Cruise at night was especially entertaining.

The parade was very nice, but not on a par with SpectroMagic or TON. But there are enough gorgeous dancers to satisfy the most ardent Rockettes fan, all the characters are dressed in their holiday finery, and of course it's always good to see Santa!

If they continue with last years plan, the performance of 'Wishes' has some added touches that you'll enjoy. I won't give them away. ;)

I think that the clincher for me was walking down an incredibly beautiful Main Street, aglow with Christmas lights and gently falling snow.

I sure enjoyed it, and I'm ready to go back! :D

If you can, stay for the second parade, it is less crowded. People with young children see the first parade, the rest of the park isn't crowded then. After the first parade, the rides get more crowded. Get your picture taken early. I love that you can now enter at 4:00pm, you can ride without much wait and then head over to Tomorrowland at 6:00pm. We always go on Sunday or Tuesday, it's not as crowded.

My first tip would be to be sure to pick up a guide when you walk in (they were located under the train station). Check to see if any additional or replacement shows are playing. When we went in 2002, the Brass band wasn't playing that night. Instead, my kids were treated by a free concert by Jump 5 (I think they appreciated this MUCH more! ;) ). Also, watch Mickey's Night Before Christmas early. It fills quickly and you'll have a longer wait time for shows as the evening progresses. If you enter the park before the party starts (before it closes for regular visitors), try to get a seat for this show first. If memory serves me, the first showing is something like 7:15. Catch the 2nd parade. Try and watch the fireworks from the center of Main St. - don't stand on the sidewalk. You won't get the full effect. Try and do another park or water park during that day. I wouldn't want to waste a day on my hopper ticket since we left to have some 'down time' in the early afternoon. Also, don't try and catch a EE the next morning. If you stay til the end, you won't be getting out of there til around 1:00. Maybe a water park or Downtown Disney for the next day. We chose Animal Kingdom for an easy park day. Finally, the show in front of the castle didn't start til midnight when we were there. Try and catch that one. It makes the party last a little longer for you and there is something magical about being in front of Cinderella's Castle at the stroke of midnight. You almost expect her to come running out at any moment!! :hyper: (now that would be a neat idea for Disney to do on nights the park is open that late!! ::yes:: )

Last year was my first chance to take in a MVMCP. We had the luxury of doing two of these events during our trip. I think the answer of doing it the "right way" is very subjective. It all depends on what you hope to get out of it.

The first night was all about the rides for us. We had our picture taken, got some cocoa and a cookie. It was a wonderful night. We had the luck of timing the last bit of Wishes going off as we rode BTMRR and it was like the most magical ride ever. We enjoyed the snow on Main Street and the pure joy of having the park mostly to ourselves. We rode almost every ride that was open at least once.

The second night was sold out and the last night of MVMCP. We were a bit vacation weary by the end of the week to top it off, so we knew it would be a different experience than the first night. We saw the parade and Wishes, got our picture taken and had our cocoa. The crowds were HUGE, so we only rode a few rides. We caught a couple of the shows and watched magic happen around us more than anything. It was not a bad experience, it was just different.

Just be prepared to roll with the punches and it will be wonderful. Maggie

Perhaps one or all you MVMCP Vets can put a night in proper order! I realize things may and or will change.

Assume the park closes @ 6 PM and reopens for MVMCO @ 7 PM -

*Entry - If you are Hopping from another park, you should enter by............PM - If not Hopping what is the protocal?
*Armbands/wristbands etc. - Where do you get them & what time do they start issuing them?
*PS for dinner? If so how and when do you get your armband?
* Hot Choc & Cookies - where and when?
*Photo's - where and when?
* Special shows - where and when?
* Which rides were open?
* Snow on Main St - open to close or limited hours?

I know this is all very early and many things will change but I am still wondering.

Thanks!

I just wanted to say thank you for all participating in this thread. We, too, will be experiencing our first MVMCP this December. We are planning on going on a Tuesday. I have all the same questions and we plan to eat at CP around 5:30 p.m.

You can get your MVMCP tickets online, or at the gate. I think they are a few bucks cheaper if you buy them in advance.

Our first party was December 2002. It was the first one of the year and I THOUGHT I was ready and planned and I was wrong. We got a later PS at Tony's Town Square and I thought after we eat we would be right there on Main Street a little before 7 when they start letting people in ( I was BIG TIME wrong on this one as they let people in early and I didnt know that). We exited Tony's and entered Main Street met by mobs of people. THey were already lined up for the first parade and were 3 people deep ( at 6:45!!!) I like to be planned and organized and I was thrown off already! haha We hung around on Main Street and it started to snow. It was almost 7, but not quite. I got out my camera to take a picture, and the battery went dead!! ARRGGHHH!!!! I couldnt believe it. I went to Exposition Hall to get a new one.... CLOSED!!! ARRRGGGHHH All the shops are closed until 7. So I was stuck in mobs of people on Main Street in the snow with a dead camera battery!! Not a good start at all. We ended up watching most of the parade. We were going to wait until the 2nd one, but we were over near Aladdin when it started going past and we all got excited and went over to watch it. It was about half way thru. THen next was the fireworks at 9:15. We went over in front of the castle to wait for those to start. 9:15 came and went and no fireworks. Due to techincal difficulties, they tried to start them about 4 times. Well, they ended up delaying then until 11, but that was after we waited about an hour. By then it was time for the 2nd parade, so we just sat down and waited for that. After that, it was time for the fireworks again. Finally got to see them ( and Ruldolph!!). We walked around after that, bought our MVMCP shirts, saw some characters, ate cookies and drank hot chocolate, saw the show in front of the castle. Looking back, there was a LOT we didnt get to do. We didnt do most of the shows, the lines for the free pictures were sooooooo long, and we didnt ride much. BUT.. we had fun! We loved the parade, loved seeing the characters in their winter wear, ate lots of cookies and drank lots of hot chocolate and the best part of all was walking down main street in the snow!! We did the halloween party last year and it went much better for us. I knew when to get there (early), what time to eat (early), when to get pictures (early).. i was more prepared. We are going back over Thanksgiving and keeping our fingers crossed that they will have a Christmas Party while we are there. This time, I'll be ready!! :)

We've done 2 MVMCP and loved them both. In 2002, we didn't go to any parks during the day-slept in, a little shopping, etc. We entered MK on our MVMCP ticket only around 5. we had a PS at Liberty Tree at 5:30. After we ate, we went to the nearest camera stand, which being in the back of the park was fairly empty. Got our pics made, then went to fantasyland and rode. we didn't do many of the shows. we watched parade from porch of LTT.

If you are really into the MK rides, I would schedule two MVMCP's for your trip. One night for shows, the other for rides. Even if you don't ride a single ride, there is still tons to do! Here is what we did in December 2003

We made a PS for CP at 5:30 pm. On our way into the park around 4 we got our wristbands. We did a few attractions then had a nice, relaxing dinner at CP. We hit the restrooms and were in front of the castle for the 7:00 Celebrate the seasons show. The other guests were just starting to be let in, so we got a prime location. After this show, we headed over to Tomorrowland and saw Mickeys Twas the night before Christmas show. we didn't get there early enough to get a seat, but we stood and had a great view. Then, we rode a few rides in Tomorowland before getting our picture taken. Then, we grabbed our free cookies and cocoa and got a good spot on Main Street about 10 minutes prior to wishes. After wishes, we got hit a few more rides before staking out a spot for the second parade. We sat down about 20 minutes prior to the parade. After the parade, we hit BTMR and Splash Mountain before heading out for the night. It was wonderful. We did a lot, but still managed to see most of the special holiday stuff without being rushed.

We did end up going to a second MVMCP because there were a few shows I wanted to see that I didn't get a chance to, but I think our first night was a great plan of attack.

My dd and I did the MVMCP last Dec. We were there mid-Dec so I'm not sure how the crowds differ. We were in the park already. We had LTT seating at 5:45. We finished eating at about 6:45. We walked out of LTT and crossed the street to the Hall of Presidents area and got in line to have our photo done. The only bad part was that the party hadn't actually started yet (it was still only 6:50) and they only had one party pin left, for the two of us!! But, we left there and walked down to Frontier Land. Rode BTMRR many times without getting out. We did some rides but not all of them. We did catch the Mickey's Night before Christmas show and loved it. The parade was a lot of fun also.
We'll be doing it again with dh this year!! Hope we can get a pin for each of us this time around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter