Mickey's BBQ ending?

rideswithchrist

DIS Veteran
I just read that Mickey's BBQ would be ending this year... ? :(

That is the only meal thing I was looking at for our family's trip in March.

That's what I've read. Never attended it before. Kids just never interested. Heard it was good interaction with characters but meal just never got good reviews for the money.

We'll see

Have also read a rumor that they may be looking for a new place for it at the Fort.

I commented on that thread over on the Rumors forum a couple days ago.

But it occurred to me tonight:

I'm not sure the the Backyard BBQ is a year round event. It would make sense to stay open through the fall and into the holiday Christmas season.

But I have been at the Fort several years for the Disney Marathon week the first week or two of January. It gets cold after dark. Darn cold. In past years I don't think it's been open year round. Can anyone confirm or deny this point? I simply don't know but something in the back of my mind says when I've been there in early January there was no BBQ.

Bama Ed

PS - the original FW/RC DVC plans are so old they have mostly likely been revised/updated. But they would still probably knock down the horse barn so that means they have to start building a replacement TCD up by the trail ride corrals behind the Outpost bus depot. That's the trigger for me....

Have also read a rumor that they may be looking for a new place for it at the Fort.

The old plans, Jim, called for a new BBQ pavilion to be built behind the Settlement Trading Post.

But that's been nearly a decade ago so who knows now what the plans are. They may have changed in that time.

Bama Ed

PS - they have done all the core samples/soil testing back there already.

Last edited:
You’re correct, on a few things here. Yes, it does get darn cold some January nights. Two, MIckeys BBQ does close for most of January, and I believe in February too. We have tried to make reservations in the past and it closes right after the new year for several weeks.

FWIW, I was talking to another camper on the boat yesterday. His first time here in 15 years. I pointed out the RC site and said the rumors have picked up again about a resort going in. The boat hand (obviously training the captain) said it is likely more than rumors this time. They haven't been told officially yet, but he expects something to be announced soon.

I consider this now approved by a bus/boat driver, so it's a done deal. :D

j

FWIW, I was talking to another camper on the boat yesterday. His first time here in 15 years. I pointed out the RC site and said the rumors have picked up again about a resort going in. The boat hand (obviously training the captain) said it is likely more than rumors this time. They haven't been told officially yet, but he expects something to be announced soon.

I consider this now approved by a bus/boat driver, so it's a done deal. :D

j

I actually consider this more impressive than bus driver information. Boat captains know all! :teeth:

That's what I've read. Never attended it before. Kids just never interested. Heard it was good interaction with characters but meal just never got good reviews for the money.

We'll see

We were expecting the BBQ to be subpar but it was the only Character interaction that appealed to us (for the money haha), plus we would not have to leave the Fort on our off day.

We will just stick to smores with Chip and Dale :) it's cheaper anyway!

I actually consider this more impressive than bus driver information. Boat captains know all! :teeth:

From what I've read and seen, this one does look pretty solid. It's been in the works for a while and everything points in the direction of this happening in the near future. As for the BBQ (and other possible closures), I'd read the same long-term plans as Ed - that those were to be replaced elsewhere on site. While the plans may have changes, they are now adding another 1,000-1,500 people within walking distance of the Fort. If anything, that will increase the demand on things such as the BBQ. I have to imagine it will be moved to another location, or replaced, in some way.

It will be interesting to see how they handle transportation for all these new folks. Many times the boats are full right now, I cant imagine trying to jam more people on at another dock. From what I understand they are already having a hard time keeping a refurb/maintenance schedule on the existing boats so unless the mouse is ordering some new watercraft ?????

It will be interesting to see how they handle transportation for all these new folks. Many times the boats are full right now, I cant imagine trying to jam more people on at another dock. From what I understand they are already having a hard time keeping a refurb/maintenance schedule on the existing boats so unless the mouse is ordering some new watercraft ?????

I would certainly hope they would add capacity to address this, but most options concern me. If they add it as another boat stop, that becomes a capacity issue on the resort loop (not to mention an added stop every time you ride that loop). If they somehow try to tie it in with the Fort dock, however, that will create additional issues there. The best case scenario (at least that I can come up with) would be that it gets its own transport option to Magic Kingdom and they create two resort loops (WL/CC/Cont; FW/new resort/Cont), but I’m not sure I see that happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!