Mickeys 90th Birthday Spectacular show?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Am I the only one that cried at this? It dawned on me - this, this emotional connection people have to Disney, is why WDW will always survive, no matter what they do. Now matter how high the tickets go or how many cutbacks they make .

We must not have been watching the same show, then, because the only way I would have cried at this it would have been because of how terrible it was. Not enough about Mickey, painfully forced audience reactions, questionable costume choices, a bunch of presenters I don't know and/or don't care about introducing performers I don't know and/or care about who proceed to either butcher Disney songs or perform their own crappy stuff. Disney needs to step up their game for Mickey's 100th and get some decent iconic talent.

We must not have been watching the same show, then, because the only way I would have cried at this it would have been because of how terrible it was. Not enough about Mickey, painfully forced audience reactions, questionable costume choices, a bunch of presenters I don't know and/or don't care about introducing performers I don't know and/or care about who proceed to either butcher Disney songs or perform their own crappy stuff. Disney needs to step up their game for Mickey's 100th and get some decent iconic talent.

I suspect my reaction was partially hormone induced lol.

I was disappointed there wasn't more stuff about the parks, clips from movies etc... And despite saying they would be performing classic Disney songs there was a fair amount of non Disney crap that had nothing to do with Disney.

Am I the only one that cried at this? It dawned on me - this, this emotional connection people have to Disney, is why WDW will always survive, no matter what they do. Now matter how high the tickets go or how many cutbacks they make .
I haven't watched yet. I have it on the DVR, the only way to watch a show like this. That way we can FF through all the promotional performances we care nothing about. I told my daughter yesterday that we can probably watch it all in 20 minutes. ;)

And I don't agree that Disney will always survive no matter what. Right now they are trading on the nostalgic connection of the generation that grew up watching Walt introduce the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night. I don't think the younger generations have that connection in the same numbers and intensity that existed when there were only 3 networks.

Last edited:
A couple of cute moments in there. Love how the showcased the multi talented Mickey :)
But my biggest peeve was... why wasn't minnie included? It's her birthday too
As to the forced audience reactions, we have attended a lot of Disney specials filming and they do this in every one, it's awkward and fake

It did also serve to make me sad that they no longer have talking Mickey at WDW. That was huge for my kids.

Does anyone remember when Danny Kaye hosted the "Grand Opening" show for EPCOT? It rained so he was peeking out of windows and sort-of half dancing.....the whole thing made EPCOT look terribly uninspiring.....Disney has never been real good with inspirational "tribute" shows (that I have seen).

Is that EPCOT show available anywhere? I haven't thought about it in years....until this post.

And, BTW, EPCOT really WAS amazing back then.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter