Mickey Tye -Dye

SaraMc

I love to tye-dye things and would love to try the Mickey shape but I cant seem to find the instructions to do this. DH and DS to be. and I are going in Feb and I would like us all to match.

Thanks for the help

I know that there is a thread out there somewhere that gives instrucitons better than these, but here you go.

I printed out a mickey head on the printer and then used a pencil to trace the head onto the shirt. Then I took waxed dental floss and did a straig ht stitch around the whole pattern. Then pull the two ends of the thread toghther to gather the cloth. I poked the center of the pattern out and made that my end of the rolled cloth. I then rolled the shirt and put rubber bands at intervals. I bought a dye kit from AC More and followed their instructions for the dye.

Here is the outcome:

3homemadeshirts0705.jpg

Edited to add I found the basic instructions here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=928135&highlight=tie+dye

Thanks! I always say I will do them and never got around to it. I might actually do them afterall. :thumbsup2

I found a new product in WalMart yesterday that is by Tulip. It is a wax resist that would make the Mickey heads white and it is supost to wash out completely. Got some but haven't used it yet. If you use it the MM head would be white and the shirt colorfull. I think it would be easier then tieing the head off! Have done that and this will be less work, but a different look.

idofabric said:
I found a new product in WalMart yesterday that is by Tulip. It is a wax resist that would make the Mickey heads white and it is supost to wash out completely. Got some but haven't used it yet. If you use it the MM head would be white and the shirt colorfull. I think it would be easier then tieing the head off! Have done that and this will be less work, but a different look.

Could you tell me what it is called??? Sounds so much easier to me too.. Thanks in advance

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.. just got home a few hours ago from WDW...
The stuff is by Tulip, and is "Fashion Art Resist",it is in a pink box and comes in a 4 oz tube. I used it the night befor we let for WDW and made MM heads all over a T shirt. I let it dry, then dyed it. I was afraid that the resist would melt when I dyed the shirt so I didn't let the dye stay on it as long as I usally do. It ended up better then I thought... if I hadn't lost my digital camera at Disneyland last month I would take a photo...
I will be usuing this more as I like it. However, next time I dye some thing I think I will iron on Reynolds freezer paper on the inside and then do the resist and then dye it so I get sharper details. And I won't let the shirt sit all bunched up and wet so the resist doesn't get so soggy and the design is sharp.
Best of luck, this was fun stuff!

idofabric said:
However, next time I dye some thing I think I will iron on Reynolds freezer paper on the inside and then do the resist and then dye it so I get sharper details. And I won't let the shirt sit all bunched up and wet so the resist doesn't get so soggy and the design is sharp.
Best of luck, this was fun stuff!
Freezer paper? Never heard of this, please share more! :)

idofabric said:

If it's washable, it won't work as well with dyes (since there is so much water in them), it's meant more for paints or sprays. A true wax resist has to be boiled out. I've had very good luck with the stitching method...here's a link to the website with my photos: www.graygablesdesigns.com

Reynolds makes a wide paper that is for freezing stuff. It is a white freezer paper that has a plastic on one side and white butcher paper on the other. And it is called, of course, Reynolds Freezer Paper. ....You iron the shiney/plastic side to the backside of fabric or T shirts or whayever you don't want the paint or dye to bleed through. Now this is the fun part....you can also use it as a stencil. You would draw the design on the paper side, cut it out and then iron the shiney side to the front of the shirt/fabric. Then use fabric paint/or fabric spray paint or ? to make the design. Let it dry and peel off the freezer paper. I used this to make washable brocade for my neices Cinderella dress. I used iridence blue fabric paint mixed with Pearl-X powder and it turned out great. We have washed it a lot and it still looks great.

The paper can be hard to find. I have gotten it at WalMart in the food section sometimes. It is also great for wrapping boards that you put cakes on, and for putting down on a table befor painting or doing messy crafts.

I'm off to my Wal-Mart to see if they carry it. Sounds easier and I may actually be able to do this one. :lmao:

Thanks for the great directions!!! My tanks came out Awesome!! :cool1:

graygables said:
If it's washable, it won't work as well with dyes (since there is so much water in them), it's meant more for paints or sprays. A true wax resist has to be boiled out. I've had very good luck with the stitching method...here's a link to the website with my photos: www.graygablesdesigns.com

Isn't it illegal to make things with Mickey on them and sell them? I was under the impression that it was really really bad and if you got caught it was a really large fine?

Your website looks really professional though, so maybe you've already checked on it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter