Mickey light post directions

Nickimouse

<font color=green>I wish I could be Patrick Stewar
OK, I'm back with a parts list and instructions. I use that term loosely,as this was pieced together by a novice. I'll do my best, and you can post any questions you have. We will do our best to answer them!

Again, this was pieced together and some was sort of jerry-rigged to make it fit.

Parts:

1-12 inch and 2 -6 inch plastic globes. (I'm sure glass would work, we just happened to find plastic ones.)

clear silicone

3 inch PVC schedule 40 pipe (cut to your preferred height) We could only buy in 10 foot stick

2 4x3 reduces (PVC)

1 light socket

1 plug ( for bottom of post for extension cord)

1- 2 x 2 inch pipe coupling ( for Light Socket)

1- 2 X 21/2 in pvc pipe adapter (to hold pipe coupling. the bottom was hexagon shaped and was made to fit tighter with duct-tape)

12-2 electric wire ( or an old Extension cord would work)

Krylon black PVC spray paint

Globes,small holes were cut in the large globe where 6 inch globes were siliconed on. Did this to let more light shine into "ears'.

then silicone one 4x3 reducer(larger end) to bottom of the head. Paint it first.

light socket was put in 2 1/2 inch pvc coupler and the coupling inserted into the pipe adapter .this was made to fit in the top of the pole with a little duct tape around the top to make a tighter fit.

Electric cord was connected to socket and run down pole to the connector at the bottom of the pole. A hole was drilled to fit the bottom connector.

other reducer was connected to the bottom, large side down. DH drilled small holes around the bottom and used tent stakes to connect it to the ground. the reducer connected to the head fits right over the top of the pole and is left unglued so we can take it on and off to put the bulb in. it is a tight fit and keeps it weather proof.
When you are building this and have questions just ask and I will answer them as best I can.

lamppost001.jpg

lamppost004.jpg

lamppost005.jpg

Where are you finding the plastic globes. My husband (family) owns an electrical supply store and I've never seen plastic globes.
Thanks!

Nickimouse said:
1-12 inch and 2 -6 inch plastic globes. (I'm sure glass would work, we just happened to find plastic ones.)

[/IMG]

Nickimouse,

Thanks for the instuctions ! What did ya'll use to cut the hole in the large globe with ? :confused3

Thank you SO much for the directions! They are so complete and I am sure that I will be able to get DH to work on it for our outdoor entertainment area!
Now I need to find the globes...that might be the biggest problem.

Thank you again!

Nancy

We found the globes at a local electric supply store. They had the large one and were able to order the other 2. Glass will work, but I felt safer with the plastic. If you can't find them I'll check with the store and see if they can give me the name of their distributor.

DH cut the hole in the large plastic globe by starting a hole with a drill bit then I think he used a small drywall type saw.The plastic cut very easy. Just be careful not to cut them too big.

You can buy the outdoor light poles at most hardware type stores and then add the globes. We made ours because I'm too cheap to pay $60 or so. :rotfl:

I think I can figure out how to do this by your instructions, but I have a few questions. I am having trouble finding the plastic globes, but Menard's can special order something. Do you know what you paid for the globes? Did they have a "neck" on them or not? What do you think all of the materials cost total? Do you use silicone caulk in a tube or silicone glue? Thanks!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
THANK YOU!!!!!!
we found everything at our local Home depot :) ( lowes had them too)

both the plastic and glass globes.. yes we are doing plastic too.. once DH gets around to putting it together :rolleyes1 I will give a holler back..

thanks again.. can't wait to use it at the fort.

Anybody else try this or find the materials? How tall do you think would be good?

Hello everyone. This is my first time back on the computer after surgery 2 weeks ago.
I'm glad some of you have been able to use the information.

Breick, the height of just the pole is 5 ft I think. The globes were $7 a piece for the smaller and I think $12 for the larger.They do not have a neck. I'll have to ask about the silicone. The total cost for us was about $40, though we had a few items on hand.

If I don't get back quickly with the info don't think I have forgotten you. I will check back when I can.

Again, I'm glad some of you are having fun with this. :flower:

Nickimouse--thanks for taking the time to post this info and I hope everything has gone well with your surgery! :sunny:

Thank you campingcorgi! The computer is helping me keep from going crazy with this recovery. I have at least 2 more more weeks before I can do anything other than walk and sit/lounge around. It sounded good until I had to do it! ;)
By the way, I have noticed your posts because of your name. We got a Welsh Pembroke Corgi in Jan. Her name is Sassy and is black/brown/white. She is the sweetest most fun dog! She loves to camp with us and we call her our camping Corgi too! :dog:

Thanks for all the Help. I really want to try and make one.

Nickimouse's husband, I bow to you, oh talented one. :worship:

I'd love to be able to make one of those but I don't think I have the talent. Oh, well, one of these days someone will decide to make them to sell and I'll find it on ebay or someone will pm me....... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter